It doesn't seem to freeze in winter. I've let it run for a long while now.
That makes it a lot less interesting than the volcano at the beach was.
- freezing biomes are awesome
- cave-ins and adamantine in the very first second after embark are awesome as well
- dirty, snow-covered ocean is not awesome
- and it doesn't even seem to freeze all over.
- difficult to get to the magma, once the obsidian cap is built
- it's an island, so only dwarf caravans and no hostilities.
- the sea part was a bit tiny
- no adamantine in the 2x2 embark screen (but some in the 3x3 screen).
- elves were at war with my civilization! And they and everyone else had access to this embark
- volcano next to the sea. Just a few pumps, and you can have all the magma in the sea or all the water in the volcano that you might ever want
- it was an ugly, luscious tropical forest
- monkey-splosions. I hate monkeys.
Both have sedimentary, aquifers, some flux, and sand. Hrmmm.
Oh, I didn't know that a fortress perishes if all your dwarves are dead. I should've send some to collect prickle berries or something. Now I won't know if it freezes over in mid-winter or not.