Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A trick to break into a magma pipe in safe manner.  (Read 6834 times)

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
Re: A trick to break into a magma pipe in safe manner.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 03:42:44 am »

A single step in magma does not lead to burning/fat melting off. So even digging a normal tunnel gives your (legendary) miner enough time to get out of there.

That is... IF he tries. I've had miners just stand there and bleed to death like a deer caught in the headlights. Only replace "deer" by "dwarf" and "headlights" by "advancing wall of doom magma"
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 06:43:40 am »

A single step in magma does not lead to burning/fat melting off. So even digging a normal tunnel gives your (legendary) miner enough time to get out of there.

That is... IF he tries. I've had miners just stand there and bleed to death like a deer caught in the headlights. Only replace "deer" by "dwarf" and "headlights" by "advancing wall of doom magma"

At least we don't get these* in game (yet, probably).

*That is more dangerous than it looks.  I could go on and on about them being insanely hot, but instead you can just watch this.  Near the end is the same thing, just at night.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:48:54 am by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 10:22:13 am »

Code: [Select]
MMMMXXXX
MMMX   S
MXXXXXXX

or

MMMMXXXX
MMMMXXXX
MMMM XXX
MMMMX  S
MMMMXXXX

M = magma
X = wall
S = stairs
I usually breach diagonally, with a task designated elsewhere so the miner knows where to go when the magma starts to flow. I usually don't lose my miner.   

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 10:37:29 am »

I'm not sure about the comparison between 40d and the current version's flowing speeds, but water and magma definatly do NOT flow at the same speed, regardless of pressure. Magma is a LOT slower, which makes sense, since magma is supposed to be very thick molten rock.

I can guarentee that they do in fact flow at the same speed. Go to the arena, there are two 2-tile wide channels that run N-S parallel to each other in the (IIRC) upper right corner. Fill one with magma, one with water; they flow at IDENTICAL rates. Water can appear to flow faster when drawn from a brook or similar, or when there are multiple z-levels involved. In both cases this is merely an illusion created by teleporting water (whether from the brook source tiles or the above z-level).

The more you know :P

RE: the OP; I must admit I gave up on side breaching pipes after 2010 came out. Now, I obsidian cast an inverted pyramid into the top of the pipe as far as possible, build a pumpstack with intakes on every submerged level, and collapse the cast. This allows me to instantly drain ~4-6 z-levels of magma, and with a large enough pumpstack, drop it all outside in one hit :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:04:03 am »

Lava flows slightly slower now IIRC, I've tapped volcanoes quite a few times since 0.31 came out without having to sacrifice any miners.

Oh, definitely.  It only flows particularly quickly if you expand the size of the breach; e.g. a two-tile opening will fill a room faster, but a single opening is slow enough for dwarves to safely escape.

I kind of doubt that, unless Toady's flow models are messed up (and I remember quite distinctly they were not in 40d).  In standard fluid dynamics, you get a faster and stronger flow in a smaller space.  To discover just how devastating a small-opening flow channel can be, have a Dwarf man a water pump that will draw them into a channel and watch as they get sucked by the flow at four times their normal speed and die from colliding with an object.  As Quietust pointed out, the flow mechanics are identical for water and magma in DF, too.
Sanity is for the weak.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 11:07:17 am »

Speaking of magma flow speed, would breaking into a pipe using an upward [r]amp make a tunnel fill with magma more quickly due to two tiles flowing instead of one?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 11:19:40 am »

Possibly for filling the first tile. After that though, it's gonna move at exactly the same rate.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »

Ah, so having multiple z levels of lava open to a 1 z level tunnel has no effect?

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

I usually channel/dig a diagonal ramp from above that will let the magma flow in a channel 1z level down. No fatalities so far.

Used to be volcanoes had variance in their XY-planes in Z-axis in 40d. Toady should return this in 2010, so volcanoes can be safely breached in deeper parts too.

Probably a bug. Haven't reported.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »

Ah, so having multiple z levels of lava open to a 1 z level tunnel has no effect?

Correct, once the lava is inside of the tube. It's because the lava doesn't teleport like water does, so you get structures like you see Toady explaining here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3549/interview_the_making_of_dwarf_.php?page=9

The lava plugs up the tube, and more lava can't fill it until the first bits move ahead at their fixed flow rate. Bigger tube = more flow = faster moving lava.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »

I consider the mining into a magma pool a test of dwarven mettle.  If he can't avoid being melted then he wasn't a very good dwarf.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2]