Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Volcano under the sea  (Read 4580 times)

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano under the sea
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 09:47:42 am »

What about collapsing a stone ring around the caldera?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 11:19:37 am »

Related: I have embarked on a coastal cliff with an "underwater" volcano too. The magma cap almost instantly formed (with about 100 cave-ins) and that was it. It's not that interesting at all. The pipe was only halfways in the ocean, so there was land access to the forming caldera sea.

The only thing that is really cool is this message (which repeats every few seasons):

There is nothing to catch in the volcano.  8)

Time for !!SCIENCE!!.

Can dwarves really fish in a volcano (even if not underwater)? What happens to their beards in the process? Test and respond please  :D

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 11:32:03 am »

What happens if you take some magma out of a volcano, store it somewhere safe, wait until it re-fills, and pour the stolen magma on top of it?

Even more important, what happens if you then steal more magma out of the volcano? Up to which level will it re-fill?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 11:36:26 am »

Try it yourself and report. I think the magma will stay at that level when overfilled and rise up to original level when redrained.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:46:14 am »

I had a volcano in a temperate area, how the heck does that work?
Blargh.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 11:53:42 am »

I have a similar embark with a volcano which is under a lake. This lake is also flowing for some reason (possibly the river delta at the edge of the map). SO I did the natural thing and built a pier over the volcano, set up waterwheels, pumped the water away from the caldera, walled it off, and then built my magma forges in the middle of the lake with my fortress right above. I don't think my dwarves have left the inside of my fortress since about two years in except to reset the cage traps (which I use for the coloseum on top of the fortress).
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531
Pages: 1 [2]