Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Volcano under the sea  (Read 4568 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcano under the sea
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:30:05 pm »

I just generated a world with a flat volcano located not just on the beach, but below the sea. Upon embark, I was greeted by a message about my discovery of the great magma sea, and then about adamantine. Praise the miners.

Then 50-100 cave-in messages followed, as the ocean formed an obsidian cap over the magma pipe.

Never had that before.

Now I wonder if the ocean might actually freeze in winter; that would allow for some scientific experiments without too many pumps. The ocean was marked as "freezing" on the biome screen, and it was marked as frozen on the region map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:40:03 pm by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcano under the sea
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »

The lava might keep a shell of water liquid around the volcano. I'm not sure how far its heat extends...

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »

I support you on this quest for dwarven science. Just make sure you don't lose all your picks to drowning/freezing. And hey, if you can periodically dig down into the volcano every year as the ice melts and the obsidian reforms, you'll eventually mine out the magma sea!
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »

Was it a good-aligned frozen sea? If so, the dwarfiest possible solution would be making a merperson farm with indoor heating, and a magma crab dancing around the enslaved mermaids singing the thread title.

Just sayin'.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:24 pm »

This is a very promising map. I let it run for a while, and now the ocean consists of white 7s.

Muddy Snow-covered sandstone pebbles.
Water 7/7
A dusting of snow
A dusting of mud.

Snow-covered water. Looks like an oozing salt forgotten beast had been roaming around in the sea.

Yeah, I'll start over from the backup save (after backing it up some more). It's not a totally inhospitable environment, so it might be the right place for !!science!!.

No, the sea was neutrally aligned. It's a freezing "tropical sea" (the temperature settings of this world_gen were altered), so maybe it doesn't realize that it's supposed to freeze over in the cold half of the year at least.
The island tile might have been good, I don't quite know.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »

I'd bet you the water will eventually cover it up completely, sadly, with a roof of obsidian over the top of the magma.  I've done something a bit like this, dumping a river into a below-ground-level volcano opening, and the obsidian forms on the same level as the magma was, so if it was below the water surface as in the pic, then that's where the obsidian will form, and water will flow in and cover it.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »

You must share this world/location with us. I've dreamed of exploring the magma sea by elbow-grease ever since that one adventurer of mine dodged off a volcano and landed on the core. And promptly melted.

Damned empty volcanos. :(
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 06:51:42 pm »

It doesn't seem to freeze in winter. I've let it run for a long while now.

That makes it a lot less interesting than the volcano at the beach was.

This one:
- freezing biomes are awesome
- cave-ins and adamantine in the very first second after embark are awesome as well

- dirty, snow-covered ocean is not awesome
- and it doesn't even seem to freeze all over.
- difficult to get to the magma, once the obsidian cap is built
- it's an island, so only dwarf caravans and no hostilities.

Beach-volcano:
- the sea part was a bit tiny
- no adamantine in the 2x2 embark screen (but some in the 3x3 screen).
- elves were at war with my civilization! And they and everyone else had access to this embark
- volcano next to the sea. Just a few pumps, and you can have all the magma in the sea or all the water in the volcano that you might ever want

- it was an ugly, luscious tropical forest
- monkey-splosions. I hate monkeys.

Both have sedimentary, aquifers, some flux, and sand. Hrmmm.

Oh, I didn't know that a fortress perishes if all your dwarves are dead. I should've send some to collect prickle berries or something. Now I won't know if it freezes over in mid-winter or not.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:13:44 pm »

I know you mentioned some temperature mods, but the world gen parameters may be interesting to have.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:56:56 am »

Sure.

Generated in 31.13

The volcano in question is in the leftmost column of the word, the second one from top. Wait, I can do better than that:

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 04:08:35 am »

This site rocks for two reasons:
It's a frigging volcano under the ocean.
It's on the Island of Lobsters.

So many boiling jokes...

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 04:18:44 am »

Volcano under the sea

Is anyone else thinking "OBSIDIAN FORTRESS ON TOP OF A VOLCANO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN" right now?
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 04:29:01 am »

Volcano under the sea

Is anyone else thinking "OBSIDIAN FORTRESS ON TOP OF A VOLCANO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN" right now?

Because there is no way that could go wrong.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 04:37:26 am »

Volcano under the sea

Naturally.

How many pumps do you need to clear an ocean tile long enough to build something in place of the water? I'm thinking along the lines of "build stairs down, build wall next to them" right now, but pouring some magma into the sea might of course work as well.

Wait, the sea is only 1 z-level deep at that point. Except for the obsidian cap, which is 1 z-level deeper than the rest. Magma would be the easiest was to deal with this type of ocean.

So, okay, lets get back to the pumps, because that would be the harder way. Are two pumps enough to buy enough time to clear the ocean tile for a short while? Or do you think that I'd need to pump the water from all 4 sides?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:46:49 am by Lytha »

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 07:15:31 am »

Volcano under the sea

Naturally.

How many pumps do you need to clear an ocean tile long enough to build something in place of the water? I'm thinking along the lines of "build stairs down, build wall next to them" right now, but pouring some magma into the sea might of course work as well.

Wait, the sea is only 1 z-level deep at that point. Except for the obsidian cap, which is 1 z-level deeper than the rest. Magma would be the easiest was to deal with this type of ocean.

So, okay, lets get back to the pumps, because that would be the harder way. Are two pumps enough to buy enough time to clear the ocean tile for a short while? Or do you think that I'd need to pump the water from all 4 sides?

As far as I know, you can't do that.  I once was going to try building a fort with the only entrance being a bridge extending off the coast into the middle of the ocean and then going through, but apparently ocean water automatically refills, so there isn't a way to do it without magma.
Pages: [1] 2