Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Collapsing ocean volcano  (Read 6968 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collapsing ocean volcano
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:16:41 pm »

So I spotted a single volcano tile at sea next to an island and decided to embark there to see what might happen. Immediately I got the section of cavern has collapsed message. It turns out the volcano had no rock separating it from the sea at all, and also the first spoiler message. It seems as though the volcano might have been a level lower than the sea and the water is pouring into the volcano which itself is collapsing into the magma sea. As soon as I unpause another cavern collapse message appears. I have had fifty collapse messages so far. Is this unusual ? Also the cavern level goes down into the negatives. The volcano is rapidly empyting of lava and the ocean is pouring down the sides of it. Is there any way of stopping the game from pausing for error messages once you have started ? I want to see how this turns out, but it keeps pausing.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collapsing ocean volcano
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:18:14 pm »

There's a file in the same folder as the init.txt, called announcements I think.  Find the Cave-in message and remove the P from it
Current Fort: NatureRags

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »

to be specific, you are looking for [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] in announcements.txt.

remove the P and the R. p pauses and R recenters your camera.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »

Thanks. I think this will play hell with the FPS. the ocean constantly draining into a huge hole.
Edit. This may take some time. So far I've had four hundred collapse messages and the FPS is running between one and two. The volcano has drained nearly twenty levels of lava so far. I really want to see what happens when it settles down.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:50:44 pm by Tsarwash »
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:53:55 pm »

You sure it will settle down? You have ocean of water and ocean of magma with no apparent borderline, if I get it right. This is gonna take some time. I suggest you run it, start recording, leave and then replay it 100x faster to get the idea.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:59:06 am »

Just leave it on overnight. Make backup of the save beforehand.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 04:45:25 am »

I want to see how this turns out, but it keeps pausing.
I can tell you how this will turn out after a couple of hundred cave-in messages, because I have one of these at the moment as well.

The ocean and the top level of the volcano will form an obsidian cap. And then the ocean will recover to 7/7 height.

And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 04:46:59 am »

And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.

I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:34 am »

It actually doesn't take too long to get through this - the water spreads out and covers the magma at the top of the volcano and creates obsidian.  Sometimes this happens on an unsupported tile, which is what causes all the cave-in events, but in fairly short order the volcano is capped with obsidian and the cave-ins stop.  The water settles down after a while and you basically have a magma pipe under the water, like you could have gotten on any other map, but with the cool factor of how you got it.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »

There was about seven hundred collapse messages, and the ocean pouring into the volcano evaporated between 30 and 40 levels of lava. So I have 50 levels of a magma tube, supporting an obsidian cap and on top of that a 30 level water tube. I really wanted to see what would happen if the water had evaporated all of the lava and began pouring into the magma sea. A pity it didn't get that far. Maybe if i could restart it it would act differently.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »

Yeah that came out pretty differently from how mine did, in my case the upper level of magma didn't really go down except for the first level getting converted to obsidian.  Are you sure that space now filled with water wasn't open space at the start of the map?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 06:29:29 pm »

yeah. I turned off the message pause and watched to water evaporate forty or so levels or lava. At first I thought the volcano was collapsing into the magma sea, but the water evaporated it. The lava originally started one level below the ocean. It's a pity that the island my dwarves are on is pretty uninhabitable.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:29:01 am »

I don't really see how that's possible, since the instant water touches magma, obsidian is created - maybe our settings are different in some way, I dunno.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 02:52:34 am »

You can make things extra Fun and set the melting point of obsidian below the temp of magma.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »

I don't really see how that's possible, since the instant water touches magma, obsidian is created - maybe our settings are different in some way, I dunno.
My game settings are vanilla. A small lip formed around the topmost level, but after that whenever obsidian was formed it would not have any solid land to attach to and would fall, hence the 700 cave in messages.
Pages: [1] 2