Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Collapsing ocean volcano  (Read 6964 times)

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collapsing ocean volcano
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:36 pm »

I think "evaporated" was the wrong term here. Did water touch magma and form obsidian, not attached to any wall, and over the "bottomless pit" part of the volcano? If that happened a lot, it would explain how so much magma was consumed.

Hrm... put the ocean into the magma sea, using bridges to force cave-ins. Drain the magma sea that way, then perform whatever !!enginering!! you want to. Stop the ocean by dropping the bridge, and now you have perfectly heated noble's quarters, magma forges, and the like.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »

Hilariously enough not even an hour after reading this topic I managed to generate a world and find a volcano sunken into an ocean that was then immediately engulfed. The silver lining is that somehow when creating the obsidian cap, it made it wide enough for me to dig between the lava and the water. Now I just need to find a way to pump the lava across the whole ocean...
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 08:13:22 pm »

Hilariously enough not even an hour after reading this topic I managed to generate a world and find a volcano sunken into an ocean that was then immediately engulfed. The silver lining is that somehow when creating the obsidian cap, it made it wide enough for me to dig between the lava and the water. Now I just need to find a way to pump the lava across the whole ocean...
Or have most of your fort under it...

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 08:15:55 pm »

Or have most of your fort under it...
Brilliant.
With the massive amounts of Obsidian I now have I could make a fortress of Obsidian, and then pour lava over it!
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

and if you poor water into it?

This is a finely crafted obsidian fort. It is filled with obsidian and menaces with spikes of obsidian. On it is an image of dwarves and a fort in obsidian. The dwarves are being encased in obsidian. The fort is being encased in obsidian.
Pages: 1 [2]