Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favourite Embark size X*Y  (Read 3866 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Embark size X*Y
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »

Would you consider me crazy if I said my favourite embark size is 8x8?
Although I never use the space I have completly, I just can't stand small areas.

No I wouldn't consider you crazy, I'd just wonder what type of comp you are running, what your average FPS is, and how many dwarves do you manage to get before you consider it "too slow" to keep playing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15:37 pm »

People have a favorite size...?

I just go with whatever size it takes to get everything i want in the embark.

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:15 am »

Would you consider me crazy if I said my favourite embark size is 8x8?
Although I never use the space I have completly, I just can't stand small areas.

No I wouldn't consider you crazy, I'd just wonder what type of comp you are running, what your average FPS is, and how many dwarves do you manage to get before you consider it "too slow" to keep playing.

Currently I have 171 Dwarfs, and I'm at ~30 FPS. I consider ~25 to be playable (27 being the "natural" framerate for our brain, or the point where we see a fluid picture in 3D games).
Currently I'm in the process of draining my brook which should increase FPS once it's done. There should be another increase once my outer fortification is finished because then my dwarfs are limited in their pathfinding.
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 01:07:32 am »

I just started a 16x2.  It's... glorious, really.  I'm getting a stable 100fps (only 30 dwarves and cavern unbreached as of yet though), have a huge area with many biomes, and the distorted size combined with super-steep terrain is really pushing my fortress design interesting ways.  Well, those factors and attempting to build Moria, which is what got me making such a crazy embark in the first place.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 01:22:54 am »

2x2 for the same reason as OP. 3x3 when I feel like building something bigger.
Plus my computer kind of sucks.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:01:52 am »

3X3.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 06:05:27 am »

I used to play 6x6 because I love the big open areas but sadly my computer doesn't.

Now I usually settle with 3x3 or 4x2

Ps. It's also worth noting that I changed the init setting for max fps to 250. I usually get above 200 in the first few years on a 3x3 and I love that. It's so much faster than being on the 20's all the time on 6x6 :p.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:08:40 am by Victuz »
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Kurtisk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 11:44:00 am »

I like to do 8 by 8.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 12:05:25 pm »

4x4. My computer is nice and strong so I never change that.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »

I usually go with 2x2. I mainly build in the vertical direction, so I don't need the horizontal space. I sometimes also go 3x3 for more biome diversity.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 01:28:29 pm »

I go 2x2.  It's all my computer can handle.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 02:16:25 pm »

Wide embarks are neat, like 2x8 or 3x5.  If there's an extra biome or map feature or elevation shift that I can fit into an abnormal embark rectangle, I go for it.  Size isn't terribly important... anything under 20 total map tiles, and preferably under 16 (10 if predicting lag, like on an ocean or extreme elevations).

I would love to do large embarks, but they usually lead to an awful lag hangover and a lot of regret.
Pages: 1 [2]