Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: You are all monsters.  (Read 71149 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: You are all monsters.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 08:55:24 am »

I care for my dwarves. Even if they are unwanted migrants, which is rare (pop cap does work after all).
I've always been thinking that if you can't afford to care for your own dwarves, then you aren't hardcore enough.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 08:57:49 am »

I care for my dwarves. Even if they are unwanted migrants, which is rare (pop cap does work after all).
I've always been thinking that if you can't afford to care for your own dwarves, then you aren't hardcore enough.

The only care dwarfs need is magma applied directly to the forehead.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 08:58:00 am »

I'm actuilly trying to kill off every adult in my fortress while leaveing kids alive, I have a monsterous amount of food and booze ready, and I want an army of child laborers.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:13 am »

I think he was actually joking.

At least, I hope he was. I don't have an elf killing machine set up yet, so disposal would be difficult.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:03:55 am »

I think he was actually joking.

At least, I hope he was. I don't have an elf killing machine set up yet, so disposal would be difficult.
There's a simple way to dispose of elves.

Bridge Over Troubled Volcano.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:24:51 am »

Easier way to be rid of elves, Depot in Caverns.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 09:25:39 am »

I remember when my old fort in the desert was overrun by rampaging zombie elephants.
This was a very evil region.
I told them to build a small moat upon embark, and they built a small moat upon embark.
They were safe.

When the forgotten lizard came, the forgotten lizard who spewed blood, who was covered in blood, who spewed poisonous blood, we sealed the passage to the caverns.

Somehow the beast made its way through the wooden door, and proceeded to killing my unarmed dwarves.
The beast was finally taken down, it was covered in light scars.
Pages worth of light scars.
The hatches from the apartments billowed miasma.
The fort became a miasma chimney.

I was disgusted with myself.

Olaf, the legendary wrestler, and survivor of the fort I now call LovingMiasma, converted the apartments into tombs.
Later he noticed that his cat had died, and went insane.

I didn't care enough... I let them all die.
I didn't have fun.
 I see dead little @'s.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:05:05 am »

@'s? but dwarfs are :)'s
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:07:01 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 10:15:31 am »

It's the "The Sims"-syndrome, it's typical for pretty much all simulation-type games.
That's what you get for giving the power over (virtual) life and death to a couple infantile megalomaniacs.
The game itself doesn't even have to encourage that, it would be no use if it would sanction such behavior either.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 10:22:46 am »

It breaks the immersion.
Of course, I can do it for science, but not for fun. I find fun in other things, such as challenge play, and there's enough of justified death and suffering.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:09 am »

I actually felt really guilty with my first killing room.

I'd compiled quite an extensive killing list, of all migrants I didn't like. The first to go into the hall of spikes was an old woman, one of the first migrants. She was a grandmother, and had been ecstatic lately. When the spikes started stabbing she crawled to the (locked) door and died there. I couldn't help but imagine she crawled up to it and desperately tried to claw her way out before dying.

Now I try not to use a kill list. I try to ALWAYS find a use for my Dorfs, even if it's just the military.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 11:13:37 am »

I never use magma, and I actually appreciate the wood the elves bring. I mean, it's annoying that they refuse unethical products, but they still trade the stone mugs, and it's not like I ever cut down more than a hundred trees (so their tree cutting quota is never a problem.), since their only real uses are beds and maybe wooden practice bolts (and in end game, tons of bone are available for that.).

Immigrants... well, let's say that forcible conscription is always an option, (not for them) and the Mason and Hauler guilds are always hiring.

Nobles? Pick the easiest to please dwarf, and your good to go.

As for mass animal slaughter... I confess I do feel guilty mass slaughtering kittens (especially when my cat is neaby sometimes), and once I was pretty depressed when I went to a local Chinese pet market. It's quite depressing seeing a handful of kittens crammed into a cage, mewing their little hearts out, then remembering all the kittens crammed into a cage and designated for slaughter in the fortress I played shortly being going out.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 11:23:42 am »

Not everyone is an omnigenocidal maniac.  About the only people who die in my forts are Goblins (who explicitly invade my fortress and who have no qualms about dicing my people to bits on their way in or out) and idiot traders/diplomats who lack the sense to bring a proper guard detail along with them to protect against said Goblins.  I provide my residents with delightfully well-engraved rooms 9 times their size and properly furnished, a fantastic dining hall, safe work facilities, and an actively trained highly skilled military force manned by around 1/5th of the fort's populace (and only the most logical choices, ie. single unattached men who show no interest in making friends or getting married).  Nobody ever starves or goes dehydrated, and each fort ends up producing enough food and drink per year to last two to three times as long as each year lasts.

Granted, what I do to the local wildlife isn't that pleasant, but elephants in DF are massively widespread, unlike real life.
Sanity is for the weak.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 11:30:31 am »

I actually try to run fairly safe and non-sociopathic fortresses, for the most part.  (Excepting cats, who are either killed on sight or dumped into the caverns to explore).  No deliberate killing of dwarves or immigrants, reasonable attempts made to meet mandates, and a well-equipped prison to limit deaths in case of failed mandates.  The one great exception was when I made an experimental fortress where through clever use of pressure plates I built an automated device to separate and kill all children from the fortress.  It worked, horribly well.  I actually felt kind of guilty about it afterward.  Oddly, killing every child in that fortress didn't trigger a tantrum spiral.  The followup experiment where I built an automated device to kill all non-farmers did result in a tantrum spiral that nearly wiped the fortress out though.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 11:38:42 am »

can you post the plans for that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18