Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange BSOD issue  (Read 2446 times)

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
Strange BSOD issue
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:30 am »

Hey all, got a slightly odd problem.

Been away recently and got back to DL the new release, toyed around abit and then decided to grab some mods.

Started with genesis. Game loads, world gens, i test out an adventurer, all is well.

Then i go to start a fort, Blue screen of death.

Same thing when i restart.

So i try ironhands. BSOD at the same spot. Anyone else encountering this?

Edit:
Im aware it is possibly nothing to do with DF. So far it only occurs with a modded .16.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:47:34 am by Adultratedhydra »
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange BSOD issue
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:33:22 am »

What OS are you using? Some OSs and computers lost compatability recently. Windows 2000 and non-intel Macs are the ones that come to mind.

Also, what print mode are you using in the init file?

Does it crash in vanilla?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 11:41:05 am »

No crash in Vanilla, WinXP SP3.

well i discovered deleting the custom music in genesis solved the BSOD. Not sure what would cause it on ironhands. but i suppose i got one working anyway.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:26:05 am »

you sucked up all of your ram, i watch task manager trying to move all of my other programs into the hard drive but it couldn't fit.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:52:39 am »

If it's an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bluescreen then it's a hardware/driver issue. Sometimes updating drivers will fix it.

As it's related to the DF Genesis mod music perhaps it's your sound card/chip drivers.

A program can't cause a bluescreen without a problem in the OS, drivers or hardware, so you can't blame DF.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:10:02 am »

Sounds like you might have some problems with your RAM, my friend. I suggest burning a liveCD with Memtest86+ on it and checking your ram for bad sectors. If you do get a lot of bad sectors, it will be worth your while to replace your RAM.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:13:10 am »

That should be if you get any bad sectors reported, then you need to replace your ram (or motherboard, or cpu).
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »

Sounds like you might have some problems with your RAM, my friend. I suggest burning a liveCD with Memtest86+ on it and checking your ram for bad sectors. If you do get a lot of bad sectors, it will be worth your while to replace your RAM.
HE RAN OUT OF MEMORY. i have this problem, the game burns up all of the ram, the computer freaks out and tries to move his processes into the hard drive. i watch task manager and my ram usage went up to its max then the computer BSOD, your list of suggestions is GET MOAR ram. first we have fps problems now the game doesn't have enough memory.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:19:43 pm »

Windows should not be capable of bluescreening just because it runs out of memory.  Bluescreens are caused by driver failures or hardware failures.  The system knows how to handle running out of memory; it might not be graceful, but it'll handle it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:24:41 am »

Windows should not be capable of bluescreening just because it runs out of memory.  Bluescreens are caused by driver failures or hardware failures.  The system knows how to handle running out of memory; it might not be graceful, but it'll handle it.
if im able to recreate this 3 times using different but same amount of ram it still bsod. windows could not handle it.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 07:07:40 am »

Even if you're right (which I doubt), that doesn't mean that hydra is having the same problem as you.