Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which stockpile for which item  (Read 2169 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which stockpile for which item
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:00:53 am »

I'm still a newbie, lost somewhere in the learning curve of this game at the moment, and there is an important piece of information missing in the wiki.

You have wonderful documents on nearly all the items in the game, listing melting points, recipes, and all, but one thing I was looking for was: In which kind of stockpile will this be stored?

It was not easy to find out that e.g. char coal is stored as a "bar", and a cage is not a furniture but an animal  ;D
Those things kept cluttering my workshops in no time, and I had no idea where a dwarf wold put them...
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which stockpile for which item
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

Add them to the wiki as you find them.

Many items can go into multiple stockpiles. For instance, cloth gloves can go into finished goods, refuse (if worn), and armor.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:38:33 pm »

Great point treczoks.

Having no wiki skillz myself I have no idea how to format such things. But, for example, in the case of barrels:

An extra line might possibly be added to show the relevant stockpile, and maybe another to indicate that they are used in the construction of asheries?

I'd be willing to learn how - and to do a fair amount of this - but wouldn't want to mess things up if this is just a wacky alcohol-induced musing.  Please advise.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:57:04 pm »

The Ashery page should state that a barrel is required. I think the old 40d page did, so I'd expect the new 2010 wiki page to do so as well.

Having the line "Stored in:" on an item's page and listing all the stockpiles they can be stored in would be fine by me.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »

umm barrels are also needed for brewing and they store food