Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Spurious "an ambush!" messages in reclai  (Read 569 times)

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Spurious "an ambush!" messages in reclai
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

One of my fortresses recently imploded. When it was down to three dwarves, I abandoned and reclaimed with seven marksdwarves.
Now, however, I'm getting frequent "An ambush! Drive them out!" messages. I check the area it zoomed on, and see nothing but mountain goats and a dwarf - and the dwarf isn't even one of mine! It's one of the dwarves from the old fortress! And he's the one attacking the mountain goats!
So far I'm 11 days in, game time, and this has happened three times. I have the starting save archived if it'll be useful.

[edit]
I've figured out, to some extent, what's happening. This guy is a hunter, an ambusher. So he lies in wait for a mountain goat, then springs from ambush - triggering the "an ambush!" message, since he's not part of my fort (even though he is a friendly).
He then chases the goat until he either loses it or succeeds in beating it to death with his crossbow, at which point he re-activates stealth mode, ready to trigger another "an ambush!" message.

[edit]
AUGH IT'S HAPPENING EVERY THIRTY SECONDS
HOW DO I LURE THIS BASTARD INTO THE VOLCANO

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: ToxicFrog ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Spurious "an ambush!" messages in reclai
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

If you abandon and dick around in Adventure mode for a while, everyone in your fort should migrate to nearby towns.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Spurious "an ambush!" messages in reclai
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>If you abandon and dick around in Adventure mode for a while, everyone in your fort should migrate to nearby towns.</STRONG>

You can speed that up in adventure-mode, too.  Although marksdwarves are prickly creatures.