Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ramps without walls [27_176_38b]  (Read 856 times)

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ramps without walls [27_176_38b]
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

I couldn't quite tell from the bug page if this has been reported or not, but it just happened to me.

Those are ramps without adjacent walls.  Shouldn't they collapse?

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Crafty Barnardo ]

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: ramps without walls [27_176_38b]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

Bug 472 had to do with collapsing builldings.  Was there a cavein here or did it happen in some other way?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:18:00 am »

It happens to me, too, without a cave-in. Just ramp a large area, then (d)esignate ramp removal with (z).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:56:00 am »

Yeah, this happens from time to time in 38c, too.  No cave ins, just ramps that don't seem to mind being useless.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

Ditto
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

Yeah, I was just digging out a big area with ramp designations.  They aren't actually floating because there are up ramps underneath on the next z level.  There just aren't any adjacent walls for them to connect to.  I suppose they are just big mounds of rock at that point?  I figured I could get rid of them with the remove ramp designation, but I though it was worth reporting anyway since I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

Hi!

I do not really see the bug there - if the down ramps are created by up ramps below, everything is fine.

Just as Kagus said, they are simply meaningless, but there is no problem with them.

Try envisioning what a ramp looks like - a slope made of rock and mud or some such. Thus, it can easily rest on the floor and does not need to be anchored like a bridge or something to some adjacent construction. It simply sits there.

It would be interesting, though, if you could make a model of the escalator from the Simpsons, you know, the one which is one of the famous sites of Springfield, using ramps ... :) :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

It happens when you designate a wall as a ramp when it has no neighboring walls, it removes all the ramps around it. Since it has no neighboring wall tiles to channel/ramp, it just sorta never realizes it's alone.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>Hi!

I do not really see the bug there - if the down ramps are created by up ramps below, everything is fine.

Just as Kagus said, they are simply meaningless, but there is no problem with them.

Try envisioning what a ramp looks like - a slope made of rock and mud or some such. Thus, it can easily rest on the floor and does not need to be anchored like a bridge or something to some adjacent construction. It simply sits there.

It would be interesting, though, if you could make a model of the escalator from the Simpsons, you know, the one which is one of the famous sites of Springfield, using ramps ...  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Deathworks</STRONG>

That's all fine and good, but you know, usually, they disappear, when there is no adjacent wall. It's just that sometimes, they don't. Not a problem, still a bug.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

It wouldn't be a bug if it were consistent.  The empty spaces surrounding the ramps in that pic used to also contain ramps, but they all disappeared when the adacent tiles were dug out.  They should always disappear or always persist.  It seems to be largely random in this case.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>It wouldn't be a bug if it were consistent.</STRONG>
But it IS a bug, and it IS consistent.
code:
^^^
^#^
^^^

will always turn into
code:
.^.

unless it changed since 38a. Happened every single time while I was watching when I flattened an entire 3x3 so I could build my huge dome-tower. It's checking all the tiles around the latest ramp for invalid ramps but it's not checking the ramp that was just dug because it assumes it should be allowed.

--------------------

Apparently, my sig will appear here

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

At the same time, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with digging a ramp in an otherwise open space and then construction a wall next to it so that the ramp can be used (it's not as if they act like they are pre-directed if you construct a ramp first, so there's nothing wrong with it being there in advance).  The getting rid of natural ramps while digging walls was a convenience for aesthetics, and it might be too painful (and ugly) to force you to do it manually.  I'm currently ambivalent about various solutions to this as a problem, if it's a problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 03:27:00 am »

Hi!

Oh, I see. It was a bit confusing for me since I usually just have to deal with stretches of ramps along side walls, no wider than 2 at a time and I always designate them all by themselves without giving out the digging and stuff. So, I never had any solitary ramps or anything.

Personally, I think that ramps without adjacent walls should always be allowed (even though there is the problem of direction, I guess). I believe that it is not too much to ask players to take care of their aesthetics in this case themselves since we are not really dealing with something bound to happen very often (at least I think it would be rare in regular construction; cave-ins etc. are a totally different issue anyway).

Deathworks

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

Well, in this case, I was using mass ramp designations as a short cut to digging out a large open area.  It is much easier than channeling because you don't have to worry about cave ins or dwarves getting trapped.  It is still easier even with the extra step of tearing down the ramps, so I guess it doesn't really qualify as a problem.