Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ghoultombs: Adventure Dungeon Succession Fortress  (Read 4960 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Ghoultombs: Adventure Dungeon Succession Fortress
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »

Here we shall construct the most terrifying, yet rewarding, adventure-mode playable dungeon possible.

Alright, to start, it's first come first serve for play times, there are 8 areas to choose from essentially; the cardinal directions and their diagonals.
You may build as much vertically as you wish, just stay in your allotted area. Each player gets 1 year to build and will likely get a second turn. If we die, try not to let it be because of a flood/unnatural holocaust.

The objective is simply to produce a dungeon of various levels of !!FUN!!, while still being possible to complete and escape from, and highly rewarding.
There's a plaza being dug which will be dropped down to ~5 levels above the magma sea. This is currently the majority of the fort, and in the future I intend to place the majority of the treasure in a sealed room there. It's essentially the climax point of the entire dungeon I suppose, try to contribute by digging out sections if you can.

As for a design to keep your precious treasures in place; dig out a room, place your things in it, then seal said room with a constructed WALL. Now, above that constructed wall rig a natural FLOOR to be collapsed via a pressure plate. Lock said pressure plate behind a door in a small room across the hall. Make sure the ONLY way to get into that room is through that wall, and if you want to make magma and/or water fall from the ceilings then use cave-ins to open them as well. any hatches, doors, drawbridges, floodgates, so on and so forth, will not keep your goodies in the room upon abandonment. Let the adventurers have a good chance at this point though, nothing life-threatening should exist in these rooms.

This thread is a community-wide version of this one
There are a lot of awesome suggestions there too.

I used a lot of personal mods in this world, nothing vanilla was removed and very little changed, but there are a LOT of new things, including plants from Deon's Genesis Mod, and a dwarven pig that was suggested somewhere by someone.

Player list;
1. Lolghurt? locale?
9. Eric Blank - Central
 Deoxys413 - East, if he can come to terms with whatever is preventing him from loading the save.
10-19? maybe...

The Local Map

The Current File Listing
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:38:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Dungeon Succession Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:26 pm »

Fun Facts;

1. There is more than 750 silver ore already mined out.
2. There has been a rather crippling booze shortage since the beginning of the fort. I and the farmers just haven't had time to catch up.
3. The last wave of migrants was mercilessly slaughtered.
4. It is currently mid spring, it currently sucks to be in slot number 1.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:41:48 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »

I would join but I still need to at least partially finish my dungeon, plus I've recently rediscovered Diablo.

I will watch this nonetheless, good luck! I look forward to playing it!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:14:29 pm »

I would join but I still need to at least partially finish my dungeon, plus I've recently rediscovered Diablo.

I will watch this nonetheless, good luck! I look forward to playing it!

Alright, there's plenty of time to wait, so I won't put you on the list yet. It's still possible that there will be more than 10 turns before everyone is happy with it.
I make Spellcrafts!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:45:54 pm »

Okay, so to make sure I've got this straight:
1: We get a year to work on the 'site' we have chosen before it's handed off to the next person. I'm presuming that once the turns cycle we could pick up from where we started.

2: The 'center plaza' is the ninth area upon which our industries will be based in the center.

3: Seeing as the fun facts included slaughtered migrants, is there an established population cap? I myself have never had issues with migrants due to the ever-present need for haulers, but that's just me.

I'd like to sign up as soon as I get my current fort under control and some plans drawn up, but on a side note, how opposed are you to modding? The only mod that I would put in/take out on my turn would be [SPEED:0] simply because stuff actually gets DONE, but I'd figure I'd ask being your community fort and all.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:31 pm »

Okay, so to make sure I've got this straight:
1: We get a year to work on the 'site' we have chosen before it's handed off to the next person. I'm presuming that once the turns cycle we could pick up from where we started.

2: The 'center plaza' is the ninth area upon which our industries will be based in the center.

3: Seeing as the fun facts included slaughtered migrants, is there an established population cap? I myself have never had issues with migrants due to the ever-present need for haulers, but that's just me.

I'd like to sign up as soon as I get my current fort under control and some plans drawn up, but on a side note, how opposed are you to modding? The only mod that I would put in/take out on my turn would be [SPEED:0] simply because stuff actually gets DONE, but I'd figure I'd ask being your community fort and all.

1. correct, all of it.

2. Yes.

3. Actually there's no population limit, they were murdered by goblins. When it's time to abandon all sentient, non-wildlife beings, including dwarves, invaders, forgotten beasts and the two fish men tribes, all pets, and possibly happy people will be systematically culled to prevent them from triggering traps too early and possibly impeding adventurer progress.

4. go ahead and use speed:0 dwarves, fair play isn't necessarily a requirement as the objective is simply a good outcome for an epic adventurer dungeon, but no other changes to any other file, at least without asking.

for the moment you could take slot 2 as it will likely be a while before anyone takes and finishes the first 10 months. (I went over a little bit, but with speed zero dwarves you should have no problems completing a major task.)
I make Spellcrafts!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:26 pm »

Okay, that sounds reasonable, I'll sign up for slot 2 then. Two more questions.

I have had little experience with dungeon forts, so will pressure plates trigger properly if set not to trigger on allies? I've tried them in a previous fort, but for one reason or another they failed, but the lever never failed.

Would you object to me setting a trap that punctured and unleashed the ☼Upright's☼ horde of undead but otherwise left it alone?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

No, sounds good. So then that's slot 2, straight East.

Also sounds like science! Has anyone even opened it in adventure mode before?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:28:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:48:20 pm »

Okay then, *checks people pressure activated traps off the list*

I myself have never seen the contents of an ☼Upright☼ house, but it's to my understanding that it is filled with undead and skeletal local wildlife, and then clowns if you pull the weapon.

I figure without discovering them, though, they don't exists to the game (probably wrong on that) so a trap can be set to unleash the horde if the wrong lever is pulled, ect.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 01:05:47 pm »

Pretty Much. I scouted it out last night though; It's fairly unrecognizable to me considering the vending machines I've seen before, I think ToadyOne may have changed the code concerning their architecture. You can theoretically link the sword directly to a pressure plate/lever, with the player standing within sight of it for best effect, but that's about it for getting the candy out of the vending machine. I suppose I should have saved right then and there, but I decided to unpause and was also under attack and getting my ass kicked.

I am amused by the amount of spoiler/inappropriate content we all shamelessly cover up with poorly executed analogies that wouldn't fool a 5 year old for more than a moment. Best forum yet, however.
I make Spellcrafts!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 01:22:01 pm »

I know, right?

I was actually thinking upon completion of the individual dungeons when we link them together mine is last. This allows a bit of danger upon obtaining the candy stuff (armor, weapons, ect.) and if done wrong the 'easy way out' becomes flooded with magma and the adventurer in question if forced to draw the weapon and head downwards.

To mean or just enough?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 04:20:14 pm »

Sounds cool actually. It may require a little creativity to assure the player that yes he really does need to exit the building through the ☼Emergency Exit☼, and perhaps some foreboding that you really shouldn't be going whatever way sets off the magma flood.

Still waiting for someone to take first turn... It would be a shame to have to complete this whole thing with only a few minds going into it...
I make Spellcrafts!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:42 pm »

I'd imagine most of my "signs" will be odd colored walls, arrows on the floor (i THINK indoors still has color) the shiny lever and the ever-stubborn bridge.

A few observations I made from my first dungeon fort:

Supports do not block passages
Doors (don't know about the other structures) can be broken down rather easily w/o having to pull it's corresponding lever

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:49 pm »

I'm gonna go ahead and put you at the front of the list, deoxys, it doesn't appear that many people are interested in making a community dungeon.
I make Spellcrafts!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 07:32:00 pm »

Okay, uh, white square of error...

Is there a mod I am unaware of or does the file just hate my mac?
Pages: [1] 2