Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dungeon Biologist now with windows executable  (Read 4222 times)

Macunfadebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Biologist now with windows executable
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 10:38:12 am »

what happened to this project?

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:03 am »

The same thing that happens to most indie projects, the people working on it get bored of it, take an 'extended' vacation, give up on it, or rage quit.

Also seriously? a three year necro?

Macunfadebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 09:35:45 am »

The same thing that happens to most indie projects, the people working on it get bored of it, take an 'extended' vacation, give up on it, or rage quit.

I like this project very much
ecosystem simulations are a rather unexplored part of games, with a lot of potential

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »

ecosystem simulations are a rather unexplored part of games, with a lot of potential

Try Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution, provided your machine can run it. That might suit your fancy, and anybody's else trying to raise inhuman motion out of these lifeless remains. May they meet their peace again, aboard the Embark Wagon That Goes Deep Below.

Don't necro.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 11:20:34 pm »

Piercer (from DnD): A living stalactite. Falls on creatures below when mature. Lays eggs on the ceiling, which are eaten by <something>?

Wait a minute...

This is a Super Mario World enemy!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:26 pm »

Try Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution, provided your machine can run it. That might suit your fancy, and anybody's else trying to raise inhuman motion out of these lifeless remains. May they meet their peace again, aboard the Embark Wagon That Goes Deep Below.

Don't necro.
Don't don't necro. It's not like he posted to say 'kumquat' or something, he was (and I am too, actually) legitimately curious if anything more had been done for it. Bay12 isn't one of those forums that has gone the route of locking threads and preventing further discussion just because they're old.
Piercer (from DnD): A living stalactite. Falls on creatures below when mature. Lays eggs on the ceiling, which are eaten by <something>?

Wait a minute...

This is a Super Mario World enemy!
My excuse is that I never had a Nintendo when I was little. Instead I got RPG sourcebooks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:11:08 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 02:03:05 am »

Why have I to learn about such a cool project in a "necro" thread? ;)

Thanks for the link.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

I love the idea of ecosystem simulators, and I've always wanted to make something like this. I just didn't think there was this much interest in it.

I could take a crack at reviving this project, if anybody's interested. We could even open-source it and make it a joint bay12 project.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:45 am »

That would be awesome!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

I'll support it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 05:12:16 pm »

Post to Support. This seems like a really cool idea.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 03:11:07 pm »

Alright, I've got a simple engine up and running, using libtcod. There's not much to look at right now, but I've got some smiley faces spazzing out on the map.

Now, my question for you guys is: what would you like to see in a game like this? The basic idea behind winner's original program was:
  • simulating animal ai
  • the "animals" in this case are typical dungeon enemies from a roguelike
  • monsters' attributes and behaviors can altered through simple data files, allowing the player to make their own ecosystem
There are many different ways to handle this. It can be played from a godlike perspective, ala Dwarf Mode, or the title ("dungeon biologist") could be referring to the player's role as a biologist studying the creatures in the game. I'm not sure how well the latter would work as a game, but it's an option.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »

I think the god game role might be best, preferably with the involvement of the player being indirect.

Macunfadebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 10:15:59 pm »

Alright, I've got a simple engine up and running, using libtcod. There's not much to look at right now, but I've got some smiley faces spazzing out on the map.

Now, my question for you guys is: what would you like to see in a game like this? The basic idea behind winner's original program was:
  • simulating animal ai
  • the "animals" in this case are typical dungeon enemies from a roguelike
  • monsters' attributes and behaviors can altered through simple data files, allowing the player to make their own ecosystem
There are many different ways to handle this. It can be played from a godlike perspective, ala Dwarf Mode, or the title ("dungeon biologist") could be referring to the player's role as a biologist studying the creatures in the game. I'm not sure how well the latter would work as a game, but it's an option.

just a simulation and the player can summon creatures
Pages: 1 2 [3]