Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad Question  (Read 835 times)

akmass

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Squad Question
« on: October 03, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

In my third season and trying to get a military functioning. I'm having trouble setting up squads. Seems like each "recruit" is his/her own squad. I have one marksdwarf with one dwarf in his squad but I cant figure how I did it. Any ideas from the military minded?

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

Go to the military screen ( press m ). Then promote units ( press enter ) to form squads. Once you arrage your squads, you can change their settings by view squad ( press v )

akmass

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »

Sorry, I know I'm being obtuse, but I just haven't got the hang of it. When I promote a recruit, what happens? Does he/she turn green and become what? A squad leader? Part of someone eleses squd? I just can seem to organize anything under this system. Any more help greatly appreciated by me and my defenseless Dwarfs.

jmrt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

Short guide:
- select the dwarf you want to be squad leader
- press return (-> promote)
- select the dwarf you want to be his subordinate
- press return
- repeat for each dwarf you want in the squad
- press space to exit promotion mode.

You can do complex chains of command this way if the first dwarf you selected was already in a squad (he'll become leader of a sub-squad) though I don't know if that has any use right now. If you want to take a dwarf out of his squad, promote him and select himself as a subordinate.

Note that there are restrictions to who can lead whom: you can't make a weaponmaster subordinate to a normal military dwarf, nor a champion subordinate to a weaponmaster (and possibly not a military dwarf subordinate to a recruit, though I'm not sure about this one). Dwarves who become weaponmasters will automatically become leaders of their squads if the current leader is less experienced.

akmass

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:28:00 am »

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. It would be a good addition the the Wiki page.