Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 73317 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #645 on: August 30, 2011, 04:31:17 am »

Tomb isn't always the worst - if you're undead or worship Kiku you can avoid most of the worst effects, and if you can do it, it is worth a lot of XP.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 30, 2011, 05:11:41 am »

Once I did Tomb as a Sludge Elf Earth Elementalist with Necromutation, Shatter, and Makhleb as a god. It was a cakewalk, i just shattered everything to death, didn't even bother with the incredibly convoluted path you usually have to take and thanks to Makhleb I regenerated every bit of mana and hp I lost almost instantly.

But  without Necromutation or some other way to avoir death curses it's really hard and tedious. Without Abjuration, or a very strong AoE spell (like firestorm) it's almost suicide.

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 30, 2011, 05:25:01 am »

ok, i may be overreacting, but namad tried to do it with a deep dwarf of elyvilon. some perspective!

i once lost a very strong character in tomb:3 who got the last 80% of his HP chipped off in a single turn. firestorming the welcoming mummy committee is a bad idea, but there were at most 4 in sight. i still get mad when i remember it.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:43 am »

Yeah, a bit like Vault:8, using a mass destruction spell by the stairs may seem like a good idea, but its likely to bring more trouble than its worth, especially now that Makhleb's HP/MP regeneration has been nerfed.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 30, 2011, 06:13:30 am »

Actually earth skills will help you skip a lot of the Tomb, and you can kill mummies on the other side of walls.

One of the best tricks I ever learned watching others play: in Tomb 3 cast projected noise to lure all of the  mummies away from the entrance, then just sneak in and steal everything.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 30, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »

Does anyone know why Zignacio quit playing?

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:25 pm »

i only killed like 12enemies, I'm not so insane that when i realized I had no chance I kept trying.... I just left and never came back :)

Yunor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:19 pm »

Well, I knew elliptic said something about not playing before the tournament. Not really sure though.

How to ninja Tomb:
Tomb 1: Clear as normal, be careful against the sphinxes.

Tomb 2: Option 1: Clear with a lot of stairdancing and pain, then randomly teleport until you reach the section with stairs leading to   Tomb:3 (That's right! Skipping the greater mummy gauntlet is as easy as that)
Option 2: Start a tele on Tomb:1, haste up, go down the stairs, read a scroll of fog, read a scroll of magic mapping, re-tele until you're in the downstairs section (Note: evaporated potions of steam/ scrolls of fog are really helpful). The added bonus is that the downstairs section has an upstairs to Tomb:1, where you can randomly teleport until you're out.

Tomb 3: My least favorite part.
Option Ninja: you need lots of stealth, heal wounds/wand of healing, scrolls of fog, haste, and apportation(most important!)
I've actually died on Tomb:3 with a fail ninja...so be careful.
Option Stairdance: Go down, bring a mummy or two up, kill mummies, rest up, repeat. Takes forever, as you will be resting a lot of torments off.

Ninjaing the golden rune is dangerous, and Kiku/TSO worshipers and undead will probably want to use conventional means.

If you're not one of these, and don't want to ninja, here's a list of useful stuff in Tomb:
Abjuration, Dispel Undead/Holy wrath weapon/high slaying, potions of healing, scrolls of fog, Haste, Regeneration, Silence, and other miscellaneous stuff.
If you don't have this stuff, don't sweat it too much, just play very carefully. I've cleared Tomb:1-3 (Before I learned how to ninja) with a MDBe of Trog...painful but possible.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 31, 2011, 09:14:51 am »

Summons make Tomb pretty easy too, since your pets absorb all the death curses. You will probably need something stronger than ugly things. Yes, they can get abjured, but you just summon more!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 01, 2011, 03:11:44 am »

I'm a bit disappointed in my performance in the tournament though the 102 000 HaSt was kinda fun and I managed to get the "Gelatinous Body"-Banner.

Huge congratulations to Bay12Champs though, 5th place is astounding. 3500 points more than last year in half the time, amazingly well played.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]