Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Funny Gaming Stories  (Read 26509 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Gaming Stories
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:48:02 am »

We had our first game of Shadowrun last night. An hour or so of the session was taken up with character creation for the new guy. He was scanning through equipment listings looking for stuff that sounded cool when he misreads a piece of cyber and asks the following: "What are cyberbears?"

Not breaking stride, the GM says they live in cyberforests in the Matrix. When stupid people with hot SIMs poke at them, they get cybermauled.

I'm the group's decker. I'm going to have to see about acquiring some of those.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 08:08:05 am »

PC game story. I bought some helicopter simulation for cheap. Was it "Apache/Havok" or summat, I dont remember. Not that important.

It came, like all proper flight simulators, with an assload of keymappings and this cardboard thing which shows a summary of those.

The game was already loaded, and the helicopter was sitting on the landing strip. I grabbed the manual and the cardboard thingy and started reading. I just wanted to get some basics down before trying anything. You know, like, how to turn on the engines, how to set their RPM, anything useful really that would keep me in the air without horribly crashing right away.

A friend of mine was sitting next to me and said "What the fuck are you doing? Push some buttons already." To which I replied "Dude, that's supposed to be a simulator, those are complex you can't just...."

He didnt even wait for me to finish the sentence and just grabs the keyboard and starts to hit the top row, one by one. QWERT... and so on and so forth.

Suddenly the windscreen wiper (or however you call them on a helicopter) came on. wheeeeek-a-wheeeek-a-wheeeeka.

It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter, and we just burst out in laughter.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 09:20:36 am »

He didnt even wait for me to finish the sentence and just grabs the keyboard and starts to hit the top row, one by one. QWERT... and so on and so forth.

Suddenly the windscreen wiper (or however you call them on a helicopter) came on. wheeeeek-a-wheeeek-a-wheeeeka.

It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter, and we just burst out in laughter.

In his defense, in every 'copter sim I've played (yep, all one of them), pressing the number keys in order turned on the rotors. He was just a row off.

Also, I love it!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 09:39:20 am »

I laughed out fucking loud.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 11:38:59 am »

Our Cthullu DM had a habit of making us roll for sanity every time somebody proposed something blatantly stupid.

"I moon the innkeeper"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes"
"Are you very sure that he old ones aren't influencing your actions?"
"Uhhhh"
"Thought so" *rolls dice*
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »

I've finally decided what to do in my next Shadowrun session on Tuesday. Our mage is inside a bar taking care of some stuff, our troll bruiser is taking out a meth lab, and our decker (me) is holed up inside his van while an American Indian rages around the parking lot outside. Said Amerindian has some cyber and an active PAN.

Unwired says cyber can be slaved to a commlink. Unwired also says, on the same page, that you can make cyberarms attack the user. I plan on hacking the guy's comm, hacking into his cyberarm, and making it choke him into unconsciousness.

We'll see if this is EPIC WIN or EPIC PHAIL in a few days. I've got some nice R6 progs, a 5 in hacking, and he's likely got a crap comm, so I'm leaning toward the former.

And now for one that's not me. I don't know if you've checked TVTropes' article on Crowning Moments of Awesome recently, but I ran across this gem. All spelling errors and the like are the fault of the submitter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 11:01:39 pm by Mephisto »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »

Well in a Dungeons and Dragons game I decided that I was going to play an evil human warrior with a lovable doggy sidekick. In the very first dungeon that we started out in, our rogue stumbled across a chest full of loot. Being hungry for plunder, I called whatever was inside. The rogue said no way. So, like any sensible being would do, I chopped the little sucker in half. He's down from full HP to -9 in one hit by some amazing coincidence. As our group's cleric has a total panic attack while trying to heal him, I'm off in the corner carressing my new bag of gold. I loved that game.

Later on, our group stumbed across a cave full of these squid-like dark creatures. The DM informed us that it was a mostly empty cave, and the creatures were harmless to people of our level. We instantly realized that there must be great treasure within, and prett much wiped out an entire species while searching for phat l00tz.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 10:56:42 pm »

I run a dnd campaign here on the forms, the plot is tied in with the elements right now and they were killing some lizard men when their leader killed herself to summon a horde of elementals to kill them.

Que 90 tv show references.

Her: Earth, Water, Wind, And Fire! Hear my plead! Take my heart and make me your queen! Crush the foul ones on my hearth!

Sgt Merrian Skye: Earth, Water, Wind, Fire... HEART!

Rorakar: With your powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PLANET!

And trash talking the powers of nature.

Earth: We

Fire: Hear

Water: Your

Air: Call

Rorakar: wow, Water gets to look lame

Glacius: OH NO A PUDDLE

Glacius: RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »

I suppose this counts as a funny story.

I applied for a D&D 3.5 PbP recently. The premise is that a group of misfits band together and start a village. There's an air gnome, a changeling, a skeleton paladin, a werebear, a (good) drider cleric, and then there's... a small electric rat named Pika.

The small rat would be me. I'm playing a Beguiler (race) Beguiler (class)//Wizard if I get accepted. I have Energy Substitution(Electricity), so all spells that have a damage type will have it replaced with electric. In two levels, I'm planning on taking Improved Familiar so I can get a Beguiler to follow me around.

If you need help imagining this, just imagine Pikachu launching itself at people and stabbing them with poisoned knives before glassing the area with ball lightning.

Yet more amusing things I've found about this character - my 1'5", 16lb rodent can drag half a ton of weight since it's a quadruped.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:48:42 pm by Mephisto »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:33:50 pm »

I suppose this counts as a funny story.

I applied for a D&D 3.5 PbP recently. The premise is that a group of misfits band together and start a village. There's an air gnome, a changeling, a skeleton paladin, a werebear, a (good) drider cleric, and then there's... a small electric rat named Pika.

The small rat would be me. I'm playing a Beguiler (race) Beguiler (class)//Wizard if I get accepted. I have Energy Substitution(Electricity), so all spells that have a damage type will have it replaced with electric. In two levels, I'm planning on taking Improved Familiar so I can get a Beguiler to follow me around.

If you need help imagining this, just imagine Pikachu launching itself at people and stabbing them with poisoned knives before glassing the area with ball lightning.

Yet more amusing things I've found about this character - my 1'5", 16lb rodent can drag half a ton of weight since it's a quadruped.
Pokemon. They're freaking hax.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:35 pm »

Never, ever, doubt the power of rolling a 20.
Or the incompetence of inexperienced game masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:05 pm »

Hey, some people just like playing that kind of game.  Kind of like people who play TF2 on RTD servers.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 08:12:00 pm »

I remember one from quite a while ago. I was playing Dystopia (a multiplayer, team-based source mod set in a cyberpunk setting) The enemy was crowded around a chokepoint trying to take out our defenders and get to the next objective which we were defending. I was low on health and ammo, so I couldn't really be of much use. I however had a weapon with a small amount of AoE and a Cortex Bomb, an implant that starts to count down when you're below 25 health and after a few seconds causes a big explosion.
So I take the only logical option: I shoot the wall. Beep! Beep! I jump sideways and forward, landing smack in the middle of the enemy team, which promptly get blown back to spawn completely to the last man. Needless to say they were rather surprised.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 08:50:10 pm »

Hey, some people just like playing that kind of game.  Kind of like people who play TF2 on RTD servers.

It's a light-hearted game. In that  type of game, you're doing something wrong if you don't include at least one amusing character concept. Playing a small, sentient magical rat is no more out of place than the previous denizens I mentioned working together. The name and class are the extent of my Pokemon references. In fact, my first concept was merely "Beguiler Beguiler" because it sounded amusing. The rest came later when trying to figure out what I could do with the other half of my gestalt.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:57 pm »

Playing some D&D. Bein my paladin self, getting overshadowed by both the barbarian and the cleric. Get my shining moment when the rogue can't reach a trap location. They used me as a corpse bridge and then the cleric resurrected me.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3