Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: "An ambush! Drive them out!"  (Read 13814 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"An ambush! Drive them out!"
« on: October 20, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »

Okay, I'm guessing that the phrase "An ambush!  Drive them out!" is some sort of default declaration.  "Curse them!" happens for goblin ambushes, and "Curse all friends of nature!" happens for elves, right?  It makes sense that there would be a default phrase, just in case the code runs into something unexpected.

I would sure call it unexpected when my pack animal got ambushed by a named grizzly bear.  That's what triggered the ambush declaration, and there's not a sentient creature with it.

Um?  I'm on a fortress reclaim, so I've gotten used to weirdness already with friendly (crippled) goblins hanging around several z-levels away, but this is a new twist.  Nothing modded in this game; just a 31.12 fort brought up to 31.16.  A check of legends mode shows that it's an enemy of the nearby goblin civilization, but not my own.

I had no idea grizzly bears could be stealthy.

--Rexfelum

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "An ambush! Drive them out!"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »

you've never met one, then.  they're actually pretty shy and will disapear into the underbrush and be nearly invisible from anything but a few feet away.  i'm danm glad i've never met a curious or hungry one.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:26:00 pm »

Heh, heh.  I wasn't talking about real life, but no I haven't met one.  I've met coyotes, deer, owls, a porcupine, and a moose or two, but no bears of any sort despite living in the right biomes.

However, the question is: are grizzly bears specially programmed to "ambush" in-game, or is this some sort of phenomenon that can happen for any animal?

--Rexfelum

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »

I believe anything that is discovered while sneaking will trigger an ambush notice, though I've never seen it for anything but the usual suspects (Gobbos, elves, kobolds).

You could check announcements.txt and see what events might trigger that line.

EDIT: And hide all your picnic baskets.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:38:06 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »

I've gone bear hunting.

It's quite something, to be hunting something perfect capable of eating you.

And yes, I think it's anything that is sneaking.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:55:19 pm »

Was this a reclaim? I've seen "An ambush! Drive them out!" coming from as-yet unrevealed parts of the former fort, caused by forgotten beasts finding the friendly goblins that were left in the fort upon its death. A named grizzly may have the same effect on a reclaim.

Also, to add to your list of messages, kobold ambushes yield "An ambush! Skulking vermin!" and wild animals/hidden beasts (which don't seem to appear anymore) yield the "Drive them out" message. Except [MISCHEVIOUS] creatures (gremlins), which have a different message that I don't remember.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:58:55 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:07:14 pm »

Was this a reclaim? I've seen "An ambush! Drive them out!" coming from as-yet unrevealed parts of the former fort, caused by forgotten beasts finding the friendly goblins that were left in the fort upon its death. A named grizzly may have the same effect on a reclaim.

Also, to add to your list of messages, kobold ambushes yield "An ambush! Skulking vermin!" and wild animals/hidden beasts (which don't seem to appear anymore) yield the "Drive them out" message. Except [MISCHEVIOUS] creatures (gremlins), which have a different message that I don't remember.
Gremlins give "A gremlin! Drive it away!"
Also according to the wiki, goblin abushesgives you "A human has sprung from ambush!" if it is lead by a human

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:07:31 pm »

Was this a reclaim?
I'm on a fortress reclaim

Yup.  So it looks like it all comes together.  Thanks, folks.

I was fairly certain that wild animals don't yet have predator/prey code set up, so that wouldn't explain the alert.  If predatory animals get to "ambush" just like dwarf hunters, that would change things.

I've gone bear hunting.

It's quite something, to be hunting something perfect capable of eating you.

I haven't tried to kill any critters, but it's interesting enough to stare into the eyes of a predator.  A predatory bird very likely couldn't take you out, but the look it gives you when you stand a few feet away is amazing.

--Rexfelum

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:23:56 pm »

Pic-i-nic. They're pic-i-nic baskets.

And if you think Yogi is a pain for taking your pic-i-nic baskets, wait 'till Boo Boo gets into your booze stockpile...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 03:47:52 pm »

This is wrong.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

I was fairly certain that wild animals don't yet have predator/prey code set up, so that wouldn't explain the alert.  If predatory animals get to "ambush" just like dwarf hunters, that would change things.

Giant cave spiders used to be invisible on embark in 40d. They ambushed exactly like your grizzly bear. This was removed with the cavern system of 31.xx.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:28:19 pm »

This is wrong.
Obviously, you do not watch classic cartoons. That is how Yogi Bear pronounces it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »

It's pick-ah-nic.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 04:55:02 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't tried to kill any critters, but it's interesting enough to stare into the eyes of a predator.  A predatory bird very likely couldn't take you out, but the look it gives you when you stand a few feet away is amazing.

--Rexfelum

You'd bet a big enough bird could kill you.  Talons + neck = bleeding out.  Proceed with caution.

Of course, the bear, if you don't kill it with one shot will charge you, maul you to death, eat you (maybe, but probably not), crawl away somewhere and then sleep it off.  If you got lucky, it might die of blood loss, but probably not.

Obviously, in this situation, you shoot it while it's charging you.  Easier said than done.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:57:37 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:59 pm »

You'd bet a big enough bird could kill you.  Talons + neck = bleeding out.  Proceed with caution.

Don't think for a minute I haven't thought of it.  Not even considering predators, I've stared at enough scavenger birds ("But they're scavengers, not predators!  They don't kill things!") to become disconcerted.  Imagine collapsing in a desert, then looking up to see a bird larger than your head looming over you.

In a fair fight, I just expect to be able to keep something that size at arm's reach (instead of neck-reach) more easily than I would a bear, even if it were one of those nasty enough to crush my arm bones.

--Rexfelum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5