Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with building exterior housing  (Read 1753 times)

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
Help with building exterior housing
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:10:54 am »

Ok i guys, i have a frustrating problem. I'm trying to make my fort completely exterior (think a human town in adventure mode, its similar). Now i have no problems for the most part; stockpiles are fine, i can build walls and buildings fine but i cant work out how to put the damn roof on my houses.

This is a serious issue and one that has well and truely sent me into rage mode, because it means none of my dorfs can sleep in the houses i make for them (no roof on houses means its considered outside, which means i cant make it into a bedroom.)

Does anyone know the solution? I 've tried everything i can think of, but nothing seems to work.
Help?
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Help with building exterior housing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:15:44 am »

Build stairs up, build floors over open spaces. Result is flat-roofed houses.

In terms of making sloped roofs, I'd avoid it. Only real solution is several z-levels of ramps, which is hard and material-heavy to do, and the end result doesn't look right.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:16:19 am »

Alternatively, build a ramp up to the top, build the roof as a floor, then disassemble the ramp afterward (or leave it and use the roof as stockpile space).
Sanity is for the weak.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:19:51 am »

I've never succesfully used ramps before and my attempts at stairs failed. Are stairs above ground placed the same way as those placed below? Or is there something im missing?

EDIT: i've made stairs work underground, but never above.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:21:39 am »

Yeah, same idea. Build an up stairway, then a down stairway directly on top of it. With up/down stairs in the middle for extra stories, or just make them all up/down to avoid the hassle.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:22:29 am »

For ramps, construct one against a wall.  That's really all there is to it, as long as there's no wall above it (and if you're building a ramp to put a roof on a house, it's pretty much assured there isn't).
Sanity is for the weak.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:31:03 am »

OK, i tried both of these and they both work. Thanks for the help guys! :D

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:30:17 am »

EXTERIOR housing?! By Armok, are you insane? What is wrong with a normal carved out room hundreds of feet underground, in the safety of earth's embrace? Do you not take comfort in knowing that there is a million metric dwarfton of granite above your head protecting you and your--? What is wrong with you!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:53:27 am »

This kind of heresy is a prime example of why we need periodic meteor showers, goblins & elves flying giant eagles shooting and killing everything from the air and cataclysmic mass floods of magma and water that freezes suddenly.

Real dwarves never step above the ground unless they have to, much less live on it!

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 01:59:26 am »

Exterior housing?

Exterior housing?

Are you an elf or a dwarf?
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 02:11:22 am »

When building roofs, using a bridge instead of a floor saves materials.  You can't build anything on top of a bridge, but if I recall correctly it still marks the things beneath them as 'inside'.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 02:49:14 am »

I tried this a while back, the designs may help you out. I still have the fortress on 40d if you want to take a look.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:26:21 am »

This isn't a matter of acting as proper dwarves, it's a matter of showing those humans how incredibly pathetic they are. "This is how you build a town!"
And if you're lucky the elves will cry at the sight of all the trees you've cleared out and probably used as your construction material.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:15 am »

If elves and humans can do it then dwarves can do it better. Anyway a flat roof would certainly be less resource extensive. I hope your town goes well and building underground bunkers and tunnels might still be a good idea if something goes wrong.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 01:40:43 pm »

Exterior housing is useful for the setting up of extensive underground fortresses with outer guardhouses so the real dwarves never have to meet with those damned dirty traders.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.