Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]

Author Topic: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics  (Read 26705 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: United Kingdom Bunker Thread - Politics & Economics
« Reply #495 on: April 25, 2024, 01:00:31 pm »

From the sounds of it, the issue they ran into was:
- They passed a law legally binding them to achieve a climate target by 2030.
- They were not on track to meet that target.

So the 'fix' they came up with was to repeal that law, which was something that had to go through Scottish Parliament. Now, the Green party are never going to vote for repealing a climate target, and the agreement the SNP had with the Greens basically was their support in exchange for things like climate targets so...

The other choice (besides doing stuff to meet the targets) was probably to try and delay-delay-delay-lalalalala-we-can't-hear-you until the Election and then hope they either got a solid majority and could just repeal it or be wiped out and hey not their issue anymore. But that's not until 2026 so probably too far away to lalalala.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:03:06 pm by MorleyDev »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2024, 01:17:35 pm »

I would hope it’s pressure from within the party that basically forced his hand, because otherwise it’s a completely inexplicable move. Quite a few of the old guard have been calling for a withdrawal from the agreement.

Though I’m not sure if that’s better, party members unable to look beyond their own nonsense to alienate another independence supporting party than just the current leader being incredibly short-sighted.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2024, 05:11:46 pm »

...I thought it'd take longer than this/be a more convoluted failure, but...
I think the SNP might be more damaged by the reduced environmental targets, or at least the pressure will sit more heavily upon their Green coallition partners.
...not far off, as far as predictions go. (As far as my predictions go, anyway.)

Then there's Wales backing down on the 20MPHs, too.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2024, 05:51:20 pm »

...I thought it'd take longer than this/be a more convoluted failure, but...
I think the SNP might be more damaged by the reduced environmental targets, or at least the pressure will sit more heavily upon their Green coallition partners.
...not far off, as far as predictions go. (As far as my predictions go, anyway.)

Then there's Wales backing down on the 20MPHs, too.

I don’t even know why he decided to jump out of this particular window. There was going to be a vote among Green Party members which is at least four weeks away, and Patrick Harvie had said he would resign from the party if they voted to leave the coalition.

There was no reason to jump the gun this soon over that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]