Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6681 6682 [6683] 6684 6685 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182847 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100230 on: April 08, 2016, 01:41:27 am »

For my wtf of the day, I cannot find lemongrass any damn where. WHY. Not even bottled/smashed/prepacked crap. I know I live in a little town, but I drove over to the next city and I still can't find any. You'd think an area close to friggin' New Orleans would have one simple not-that-rare of an herb. All I want is some tom yum, why can't I have my delicious soup?!
One can usually switch herbs and spices around to taste and availability; recipes are not divine gospel. A few drops of lime juice should work in place of lemongrass if your soup is water-based, and won't ruin the authenticity of an Asian dish.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #100231 on: April 08, 2016, 01:58:58 am »

Linux Mint is extremely friendly to use. It's almost exactly like windows in feel, and has many GUI tools. Only downsides are the bundled Firefox browser that you can't update, and the fact that somethings just need the console to fix.

Also maybe drivers, not sure about that.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100232 on: April 08, 2016, 02:11:14 am »

One can usually switch herbs and spices around to taste and availability; recipes are not divine gospel. A few drops of lime juice should work in place of lemongrass if your soup is water-based, and won't ruin the authenticity of an Asian dish.
Oh, I'm aware that lime juice should work, but the thing is that the soup already contains lime juice and kaffir lime leaves - which, I also can't find, so I'm substituting lime zest. If I replace the lemongrass it will basically just be lime soup, really. It's a subtlety to it that I don't want to sub out.

If it wasn't already heavily citrusy that's likely the route I'd go down, and it's good advice in general.

I'm not actually making him go to NOLA just for my lemongrass; it's time for a trip to Costco. But I am going to be stalking out a Whole Foods and possibly other smaller markets to see if I can find some.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #100233 on: April 08, 2016, 02:15:52 am »

kaffir lime leaves

Is this a commonly used term? It made me do a massive double take, because where I live it's an extremely strong racial slur. Idle curiosity.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #100234 on: April 08, 2016, 02:22:04 am »

kaffir lime leaves

Is this a commonly used term? It made me do a massive double take, because where I live it's an extremely strong racial slur. Idle curiosity.
I'm an American and I had to look this up because I had no idea what you were talking about. This article was enlightening. Apparently in North America that's what it's commonly known as. I don't chat about limes a lot but I can see how most people would not know that it's offensive to some.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100235 on: April 08, 2016, 02:56:32 am »

Re: Win10: I suspect it's less making money directly and more taking the cost to establish the strongest possible market share in order to maximize customer exposure to future profitable products.

Like the subscription-only Office suite.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100236 on: April 08, 2016, 03:04:22 am »

Also the windows store in general.

They can't profit from people buying apps from the windows store if people are on windows 7

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100237 on: April 08, 2016, 03:23:34 am »

kaffir lime leaves

I'm an American and I had to look this up because I had no idea what you were talking about. This article was enlightening. Apparently in North America that's what it's commonly known as. I don't chat about limes a lot but I can see how most people would not know that it's offensive to some.

Ah! Yeah I had no idea; I'm an American and that's what they're called 'commonly' here. It's not exactly a common ingredient, so...

Looking it up now though, I see that Wikipedia notes it's an offensive term too. My apologies there - I only knew what they were from recipes as I've never actually used them before! I'll make a note to use makrut limes, but yeah if you ever do see it again that's how I've seen it referenced in every recipe I've seen them in.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100238 on: April 08, 2016, 05:40:27 am »

If you're not using the word in an offensive context then there's no reason to apologise.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100239 on: April 08, 2016, 05:59:07 am »

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:33:56 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100241 on: April 08, 2016, 07:49:25 am »

I named a variable "iamsickofnamingvariables". Don't program while half-asleep, kids.

E: I can't even tell what it does. Apparently it stores the value of "glu", another helpfully-named variable, which is presumably updated elsewhere, but changing either of them does literally nothing. WTF, past me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:51:59 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100242 on: April 08, 2016, 08:08:45 am »

I named a variable "iamsickofnamingvariables". Don't program while half-asleep, kids.

E: I can't even tell what it does. Apparently it stores the value of "glu", another helpfully-named variable, which is presumably updated elsewhere, but changing either of them does literally nothing. WTF, past me.

I feel you man. I feel you.

After hours upon hours of RPG Maker you just get rather tired of adding in variables and switches... But I promised I'd have this game done by the end of the month so... back to work I go.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #100243 on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:05 am »

And that, kids, is why you name your variables with boring descriptive names.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100244 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:42 am »

The key to variable naming is to name everything tempSomething. tempString, tempInt, tempObj, tempStack, tempObj1, tempObj2, tempObj3
Alternatively, to ensure that you never run out of names, get a random string generator and use that for your names. h1X!u is just as useful as swapInt.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 6681 6682 [6683] 6684 6685 ... 10983