Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7037 7038 [7039] 7040 7041 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179082 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105570 on: July 08, 2016, 11:28:43 am »

I'm pretty sure that the person who got shot disclosed that they had a firearm and said that they were reaching for their wallet.

Although I'm not sure of that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105571 on: July 08, 2016, 11:29:07 am »

'In motion' describes any situation where the target is moving, even if their feet remain planted movements in the arms and torso disrupt careful aim.  Basically disabling someone reliably (without killing them) is already incredibly difficult when they are completely motionless, if they are shifting position you may as well not even bother.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105572 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:33 am »

There is no such thing as "shooting to incapacitate" even if you can put the gun directly on the point you're trying to hit. Any bullet entering the body in any way is either potentially lethal or nearly  harmless. The belief that there's any such thing as a disabling shot does nothing but lower the engagement threshold. If you shoot someone, you are attacking with lethal force, and if they happen to stop being a threat without dying that's just good luck for both parties.

As to this specific incident, unless there's a video of the shooting we don't know exactly what happened. The best procedure for this situation would be to make no moves other than what the officer directly requests, and to comply with those requests by loudly and clearly announcing what you are doing and doing it very slowly. If you are pulling your gun out in response to a police request (not an unreasonable thing for a cop to request as it reduces his risk for the duration of the stop), you should use no more than three fingers and grip it as far from the trigger as possible, to make absolutely sure that you are not presenting a threat. If the person in question did operate among these lines, the cop is clearly in the wrong. If not, it becomes bad judgement at worst.

These are the procedures I would use if stopped while carrying, and if I didn't I would consider it to be my fault if I got shot. I fully support the right to carry, but if you choose to do so you commit yourself to a certain standard of care because you are in possession of an object that is deadly if mishandled or misused. Any concealed carry class that doesn't impress this point should be shut down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105573 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:44 am »

That's a byproduct of gun accessibility.
The police has every right to be twitchy as all hell when the person you are trying to give a speeding ticket might just decide to shoot you instead of paying the fine and who knows who you are even talking with.
Of course he probably should have just shouted "Don't move" and wait for a reaction before shooting but that kind of self control is probably hard to muster when you have a gut feeling that someone is just thinking about putting a bullet in you.

In fact why didn't he have a partner? Shouldn't his partner cover him in unclear cases like this?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #105574 on: July 08, 2016, 12:00:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the person who got shot disclosed that they had a firearm and said that they were reaching for their wallet.

Although I'm not sure of that.

I do feel the need to point out humans are quite capable of deception. Just because they said they were doing something doesn't mean that's what they were actually doing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105575 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »

Humans are capable of deception, they are also capable of aiming a weapon at someone they consider untrustworthy as a precaution against an attack, squeezing the trigger is not specifically necessary.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #105576 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:47 pm »

Of course. Would you like to risk being shot if that doesn't work?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105577 on: July 08, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »

Police aren't entitled to that kind of defense, the U.S. legal system is built on the foundation of innocent until proven guilty (not that that seems to matter to anyone at this point.)  The officer should always be willing to give someone exactly enough rope to hang themselves with, the person in question should be given the opportunity to fuck up, not be presumed to be fucking up by the officer who is so pants-wetting afraid he can't actually perform his basic function.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #105578 on: July 08, 2016, 12:10:21 pm »

Can you guys please take this to the abusive policing thread?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105579 on: July 08, 2016, 03:15:16 pm »

Ok seriously is there nothing that hasn't been accused of causing Autism?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #105580 on: July 08, 2016, 03:22:45 pm »

There are things like Sonic and Minecraft that are just accused of being autism sinks

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #105581 on: July 08, 2016, 03:25:45 pm »

You realize that when people from certain parts of the internet refer to "autism" or "autists" they aren't actually making a rational statement about autism?  They're just using it as a generic insult like "gay" is used in some circles.

Just checking, not sure which specific thing you're referring to in your post.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105582 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:13 pm »

You realize that when people from certain parts of the internet refer to "autism" or "autists" they aren't actually making a rational statement about autism?  They're just using it as a generic insult like "gay" is used in some circles.

Just checking, not sure which specific thing you're referring to in your post.

Well in the realm of Pseudoscience there have been a lot of things that have been attributed to causing children to develop autism.

Such as ANY shot (and one in particular), Electromagnetic radiation, to fairies kidnapping them.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #105583 on: July 08, 2016, 04:54:59 pm »

That's confusing cause and effect. The fairies just prefer to kidnap autistic children.
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105584 on: July 08, 2016, 05:00:42 pm »

Damn near passed out at work. The first thing my mother said when she picked me up was "You look like shit". I didn't even have to look in the mirror, I agreed with her. Might have to take a sickday tomorrow, despite the... coercion from the management that being deathly ill is no excuse not to come into work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 7037 7038 [7039] 7040 7041 ... 10983