Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7042 7043 [7044] 7045 7046 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172329 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105645 on: July 09, 2016, 06:12:44 am »

Then again, the Mongols took a disjointed collection of feudal princedoms that was not quite Russia over the span of several years, and the actual Russian state began with kicking them out, so they're the ur-example and not in any way the exception.
Fixed that for you.
Geographical Russia, not state of Russia
And they weren't kicked out, they went home
When you go home because your state is falling apart and you consequently suffer an embarassing military defeat from your former fuckboys, that counts as being kicked out.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105646 on: July 09, 2016, 06:29:23 am »

Biggest arguments in favour of, like, warmness making empire, would mostly be the Mediterranean and Middle-east, which has been the origin of Persian, Greek, Roman, and various Islamic empires. No clue how that correlates to actual temperature changes, although at a glance it looks like those all collapsed as temperatures rose.
West romans fell because temperature lowered. It pretty much destroyed food production in north and eastern europe forcing people to migrate towards the mediterranean in a migrant crisis that is suspiciously similar to the current one.
Famines were part of why the empire fell, but yeah, looks like temperatures dropped about 1 degree around the 2st century. Honestly that wouldn't have had much of an effect if food from Egypt and Africa had kept flowing, but coupled with the massive political instability, shit was going to happen eventually.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #105647 on: July 09, 2016, 06:33:16 am »

When you go home because your state is falling apart and you consequently suffer an embarassing military defeat from your former fuckboys, that counts as being kicked out.
No it doesn't, being kicked out counts as kicked out, going home counts as going home.

Mongolians show up, conquer the Russian principalities, burn down their cities and enslave their people then go home to select a new leader. Then when the Mongolian Empire splits into its successor Empire, the Golden Horde turkic Mongols still maintain their yoke on the Russians. It is noteworthy that after their defeat by their fuccbois at Kulikovo, they assembled their entire horde to devastate the lands and burn Moscow to the ground again, forcing the Russians to accept their suzerainty all over again. The man to thank for Russians being free of Mongols is another Mongol, Timur, founder of the Timurid Empire, who took vast tracts of the Golden Horde's lands, people and deported all of their artisans and craftsmen to central Asia, terminating the Golden Horde's access to the silk road, their technological advancement and their manpower.

Famines were part of why the empire fell, but yeah, looks like temperatures dropped about 1 degree around the 2st century. Honestly that wouldn't have had much of an effect if food from Egypt and Africa had kept flowing, but coupled with the massive political instability, shit was going to happen eventually.
Also food production was not terminated in northern Europe, the Germanic tribes actually grew greatly in population causing them to be an even greater threat to the Roman Empire, at the same time that plagues terminated the Med trade and made Roman provinces seek to be self sufficient rather than dependent on plague trade. Good time for agriculture

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105648 on: July 09, 2016, 07:05:45 am »

No it doesn't, being kicked out counts as kicked out, going home counts as going home.

Mongolians show up, conquer the Russian principalities, burn down their cities and enslave their people then go home to select a new leader. Then when the Mongolian Empire splits into its successor Empire, the Golden Horde turkic Mongols still maintain their yoke on the Russians. It is noteworthy that after their defeat by their fuccbois at Kulikovo, they assembled their entire horde to devastate the lands and burn Moscow to the ground again, forcing the Russians to accept their suzerainty all over again. The man to thank for Russians being free of Mongols is another Mongol, Timur, founder of the Timurid Empire, who took vast tracts of the Golden Horde's lands, people and deported all of their artisans and craftsmen to central Asia, terminating the Golden Horde's access to the silk road, their technological advancement and their manpower.
I'm pretty sure that by "embarrasing military defeat" he meant this one. The one where the Russians routed Mongols by retreating.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105649 on: July 09, 2016, 07:22:43 am »

I am never going to get over the game where in the "Good mental ward" you can just set the sauna to "Cook patient"

Even more odd? It actually has an emergency open BUT at a temperature where it would more then have killed the patient. So I guess it is there to make sure you don't overcook the patient, got to keep those cannibals happy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #105650 on: July 09, 2016, 07:48:36 am »

I am never going to get over the game where in the "Good mental ward" you can just set the sauna to "Cook patient"

Even more odd? It actually has an emergency open BUT at a temperature where it would more then have killed the patient. So I guess it is there to make sure you don't overcook the patient, got to keep those cannibals happy.

Is this Hitman? I recall a hotel had one of those, but the guy you were going to kill in particular had a weak heart and was thus apparently highly susceptible to getting cooked in a sauna.

Failing that, maybe the mental ward in question hosts a high number of Finns. They're into that sort of thing, I've heard.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105651 on: July 09, 2016, 08:20:13 am »

I think I invented a game in my dreams, or was taught how to play a game by people in said dreams. It was called Iron Dice, and it was a combination of poker and blackjack, played with d20s instead of cards.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105652 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:34 am »

I think I invented a game in my dreams, or was taught how to play a game by people in said dreams. It was called Iron Dice, and it was a combination of poker and blackjack, played with d20s instead of cards.
If you can't remember the rules I'll be sad

Cooking people in saunas has been a literary trope for ages. The Simpsons made fun of it a couple of times.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105653 on: July 09, 2016, 11:03:36 am »

If you can't remember the rules I'll be sad
It's simple enough. There's an ante that each player pays into the pot before each round. Each player rolls a d20, but covers it with a cup or their hand before it comes to a complete rest. You can check your own die but everyone else's should remain hidden to you. After that, everyone can stay, bet, call, or fold. After that comes another round of d20 rolling (but only if you want to continue rolling, you can stick with the die/dice you have if you wish), followed by more staying, betting, calling, or folding. This continues until no one wants to roll additional dice. The winner is the player who gets closest to a sum of 21 without going over. In the case of a tie, the winner is the player who used the fewest dice. If it's still a tie, the pot is split.

It's a very simple and probably unbalanced game, but the people who taught it to me were convicts in long-term health care situations, so...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105654 on: July 09, 2016, 11:27:58 am »

cold > hot because cold has less bugs
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105655 on: July 09, 2016, 11:33:49 am »

Cooking people in saunas has been a literary trope for ages. The Simpsons made fun of it a couple of times.
I didn't know about this until last week when I saw the commentated Supertrain pilot, but yeah apparently it's a common trope for some reason!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105656 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:10 am »

I remember something similar happening in one of the early Connery Bond films. That was a single person sit-in sauna though. Reminded me of the beeping wheelchair thing used by Captain Pike in Star Trek.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #105657 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:42 am »

Biggest arguments in favour of, like, warmness making empire, would mostly be the Mediterranean and Middle-east, which has been the origin of Persian, Greek, Roman, and various Islamic empires. No clue how that correlates to actual temperature changes, although at a glance it looks like those all collapsed as temperatures rose.
The Mediterranean was the starting point of many powerful empires because of trade tariffs.  Its mundane, but great cities rose and fell off of that income.  The Mediterranean was the only efficient access most of Europe had to goods from across the Sahara and from India.  And of course the reverse was true as well.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105658 on: July 09, 2016, 11:41:00 am »

I didn't know about this until last week when I saw the commentated Supertrain pilot, but yeah apparently it's a common trope for some reason!
Poor Satoko...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #105659 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43:29 pm »

Colder is better. Warmer is lamer.

Is this Hitman? I recall a hotel had one of those, but the guy you were going to kill in particular had a weak heart and was thus apparently highly susceptible to getting cooked in a sauna.

Failing that, maybe the mental ward in question hosts a high number of Finns. They're into that sort of thing, I've heard.

Well our ham up here in the North do often come as "sauna smoked"...
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7042 7043 [7044] 7045 7046 ... 10983