Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7096 7097 [7098] 7099 7100 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188831 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106455 on: July 22, 2016, 09:00:44 pm »

So, left out two jars of sun tea a tad too long and now they are foaming. Which is strange.

So, anyone know if I could have made booze with naught but sugar, water, two tea bags, a pickle jar and the sun in only two days? Because thats what I think may have happened.

I don't know about alcohol, but drinking them probably would alter your state of consciousness.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106456 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:18 pm »

I survived my commute to work today.

Im a work survivor.
I went to subway last week to have a 'sandwich chef' make my lunch, which was a 'healthy alternative' of macadamian cookies.  Compared to a big mac, Im healthier for it.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106457 on: July 22, 2016, 09:12:09 pm »

Im a work survivor.
I went to subway last week to have a 'sandwich chef' make my lunch, which was a 'healthy alternative' of macadamian cookies.  Compared to a big mac, Im healthier for it.
It may be a massive pain in the ass, but your commute is probably not all that traumatic, unlike rape.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #106458 on: July 22, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »

Im a work survivor.

Yes, employment and having someone forcibly insert a sexual organ into you against your will are completely analagous.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #106459 on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:20 pm »

Im a work survivor.
That's clearly not the same thing.

You're being obtuse here.  The way most people use a word is the correct usage of that word.  Even if that weren't the case, the dictionary disagrees with you.  You are wrong both generally and technically, and like that would be fine but you picked a pretty sensitive subject to plant your grammar argument on.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106460 on: July 22, 2016, 09:18:15 pm »

I like how because its more traumatic it somehow makes the systematic misuse of words okay.

They survived all right.  just like most rape victims survive the exprrience.
just like I survived my commute.
just like most people who are bit by dogs survive.
just like cancer survivors survived.

except cancer is deadly if untreated.

drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106461 on: July 22, 2016, 09:19:23 pm »

In Britain there's an advertising authority you can report stuff to. Nothing like that where you live?
The FCC, but that's apparently not working.

@Max™:Have you maybe tried calling the channel itself about this?

@pisskop:So is rape.  Psychological effects, the trauma of it, can really hurt people, or cause them to hurt themselves.  But either way, all of those examples you just held up as some sort of attempt at examples of misuses or something are correct uses of survivor.

So now THIS is making me go WTF, much meta, very auuuugh.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:23:36 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106462 on: July 22, 2016, 09:23:23 pm »

im not trying to fight for no reason or pick at the scab of rape, its a terrible thing.

We in our society misuse words all the time.  its chronic, and it effects our ability to communicate.

like a witness on the stand, testifying.  misuse of verbs or adjectives is a problem there.

or when i say im starving, to use a simple example
PKs DF Mod!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106463 on: July 22, 2016, 09:24:25 pm »

Except that was correct usage.

Idiomatic phrases aren't even the same argument.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #106464 on: July 22, 2016, 09:26:27 pm »

I like how because its more traumatic it somehow makes the systematic misuse of words okay.

They survived all right.  just like most rape victims survive the exprrience.
just like I survived my commute.
just like most people who are bit by dogs survive.
just like cancer survivors survived.

except cancer is deadly if untreated.

So once someone's raped that's it then? No psychological or emotional or behavioral effects from the experience? Everything is hunky-dory afterward? Life as normal?

That's obviously why we don't need rape crisis centers or therapy sessions or any other of a variety of support for rape victims, it's not a big deal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106465 on: July 22, 2016, 09:29:49 pm »

pisskop didn't say anything like that though, in fact he said it's a terrible thing
Like, wow, that's some horrible mischaracterization there.

If anything, "survivor" implies that it's over.  Except most of the damage takes years to heal.
But hey, if the incorrect word helps people recover, small price to pay.  Language is what we make of it anyway.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106466 on: July 22, 2016, 09:32:04 pm »

No, it works. You survive an encounter with a rapist for the same reason that you survive an encounter with an armed robber: there's a statistically significant chance that they'll try to kill you, but they didn't.

Quote from: OED for "survive"
The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.

Leaving aside that aspect, there's shades of weight to it pertaining to the stress of the event rather than the potential lethality. You might say that you survived your dissertation despite the fact that it was highly unlikely that it would actually have killed you, because it was a high-stress period of your life which you overcame.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106467 on: July 22, 2016, 09:32:45 pm »

but the word does in fact benefit them. that's why its used. this is backed up by psychology so stop arguing it.
Can I get a source? Otherwise there's no science to support you so stop arguing it.

@pisskop:So is rape.  Psychological effects, the trauma of it, can really hurt people, or cause them to hurt themselves.  But either way, all of those examples you just held up as some sort of attempt at examples of misuses or something are correct uses of survivor.
survivor
səˈvʌɪvə/Submit
noun
a person who survives, especially a person remaining alive after an event in which others have died.
Hence, it sounds dumb to refer to someone as a survivor when people don't usually die.

Im a work survivor.
That's clearly not the same thing.
I'll bet good money that more people die commuting to work than from fatal rape.

E:
So once someone's raped that's it then? No psychological or emotional or behavioral effects from the experience? Everything is hunky-dory afterward? Life as normal?

That's obviously why we don't need rape crisis centers or therapy sessions or any other of a variety of support for rape victims, it's not a big deal.
How very disingenuous of you

We're literally arguing semantics
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106468 on: July 22, 2016, 09:34:35 pm »

No, it works. You survive an encounter with a rapist for the same reason that you survive an encounter with an armed robber: there's a statistically significant chance that they'll try to kill you, but they didn't.

Quote from: OED for "survive"
The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.

Leaving aside that aspect, there's shades of weight to it pertaining to the stress of the event rather than the potential lethality. You might say that you survived your dissertation despite the fact that it was highly unlikely that it would actually have killed you, because it was a high-stress period of your life which you overcame.
Yeah this convinces me.
Semantic argument anyway, let's all stay chillllllll.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106469 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:29 pm »

Yes, employment and having someone forcibly insert a sexual organ into you against your will are completely analagous.
Huh, suddenly people's complaints about their employer fucking them over take on a whole new meaning.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7096 7097 [7098] 7099 7100 ... 10983