Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7206 7207 [7208] 7209 7210 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188122 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108105 on: August 21, 2016, 11:31:25 pm »

A man wouldn't expect a woman to be violent.

But it would be super-obtuse to take the comment as sexist.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108106 on: August 21, 2016, 11:39:38 pm »

Well this is the most exciting gossip I've had in ages.
Did he deserve it? How did she win? Who called the cops?
1: No more than anyone foolish enough to enter a romantic relationship*, 2: not sure, I'm assuming he didn't fight back and 3: he did, apparently.

Man, this gossiping thing is kinda fun! 
These housemates (including the other, less-official ones) are a good source of entertainment. Did I mention the time I came home to an impromptu bonfire in a shopping trolley in the backyard? That was pretty funny. Especially when concerned passersby saw the resulting smoke and called the fire brigade. 

* I'm assuming- I don't really know the whole story. Seems like some typical relationship nonsense to me, nothing terribly interesting.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:44:42 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108107 on: August 21, 2016, 11:58:30 pm »

Hey, not even I am cynical enough to assume that kind of thing is typical romance stuff. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Brigands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108108 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:51 am »

Been playing Dying Light.
The main characters voice sounded familiar and something was not right for me.

* Brigands looks for the VA.

Roger Craig Smith...
Known for being a VA for... a pretty large number of characters actually.

But Sonic the Hedgehog among them.
And i swear he just did a "Sonic on Ritalin" voice for Kyle Crane

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108109 on: August 22, 2016, 02:07:18 am »

1: No more than anyone foolish enough to enter a romantic relationship*, 2: not sure, I'm assuming he didn't fight back and 3: he did, apparently.
Man, this gossiping thing is kinda fun!
Dude typical relationship nonsense does not involve someone nearly losing their ear unless she is a seriously unstable person.

As for the people inquiring re: sexism re: Q2:
I figure either got taken from surprise, was weaker than her, was unwilling to punch back due to 'positive sexism', or felt he'd deserved it.
Or he likes playing victim or something.
I dunno, I don't live with them.

But Yoink Does.
Yoink! Housemate appraisal!

These housemates (including the other, less-official ones) are a good source of entertainment. Did I mention the time I came home to an impromptu bonfire in a shopping trolley in the backyard? That was pretty funny. Especially when concerned passersby saw the resulting smoke and called the fire brigade.
Oh yeah well mine wanted to start a skeleton collection starting with a roadkill possum She found and asked Him to process, and so he left the carcass in the toolshed for two months over summer before skinning and boiling the remaining carcass, in quarters, in our camping kettle, on our kitchen stove.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #108110 on: August 22, 2016, 02:10:13 am »

That's disgusting. Like, really? What the hell?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108111 on: August 22, 2016, 04:27:16 am »

I figure either got taken from surprise, was weaker than her, was unwilling to punch back due to 'positive sexism', or felt he'd deserved it.
... kinda' telling the whole "in relationship" thing didn't cross your mind.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108112 on: August 22, 2016, 05:56:27 am »

Yeah, Evander Holyfield I think.

I actually saw that match on PPV. I think I wasn't paying attention when the ear came off, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108113 on: August 22, 2016, 06:36:47 am »

... kinda' telling the whole "in relationship" thing didn't cross your mind.
When in relationship, you're supposed to let your partner hit you?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108114 on: August 22, 2016, 08:28:25 am »

Your not "supposed" to do anything (how did you even read that?). You tend not to want to hurt the person your in a relationship with, even if they are being abusive towards you. Abusive relationships can be come very... complicated.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108115 on: August 22, 2016, 08:31:29 am »

Was it actual hitting, though? I mean, my girlfriend hits me all the time, though never for real :U, in fact I'm far more worried that she'll herself than hurting me when she does it, given it has happened more than once already :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108116 on: August 22, 2016, 08:48:02 am »

@Owlga:Hi!

@YoinkHousemateDebacle: That's just not.  I hope he presses charges.

TempAcc:They bit off (part of) the guy's ear.  It was actual hitting.  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108117 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:08 am »

When in relationship, you're supposed to let your partner hit you?
You're not "supposed" to do anything (how did you even read that?). You tend not to want to hurt the person you're in a relationship with, even if they are being abusive towards you. Abusive relationships can be come very... complicated.
This, yes. Known a fair number of people that didn't meet violence with violence (or at least not maximumly intense violence) when dealing with someone close to them, precisely just because that relationship existed. Had nothing to do with gender, or capability, or whatever. Just not wanting to hurt someone they care(d) about, for whatever reason.

Not even necessarily an abusive relationship -- sometimes a partner, family member, or friend just flips out for some reason or another (alcohol, grief, psychotic break, whatever), not part of any pattern of violence. Think most people I know are fairly reluctant to have a go at responding with shitkick, just because most folks include close relations in a "do not harm" category.

And yeah, there's no imperative in that assessment. People react differently, et al. S'just a bit off that that whole bit above wasn't part of a consideration of reasons why someone wouldn't fight back against a loved one (or at least something resembling one).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108118 on: August 22, 2016, 11:25:10 am »

Was it actual hitting, though?
Well...
Nah man, one of 'em got carted off in a paddywagon after beating the snot out of her boyfriend and tearing his ear halfway off. 
That's much better, right...?
I wish I was making this shit up.
I mean at a glance, fuckin' probably.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108119 on: August 22, 2016, 11:53:34 am »

That sounds more like a problem of dropping things than of sheer ignorance. :P

I didn't actually drop it until well after the fact. I somehow made molten carbon.

Also hi guys.

Hey there. And btw you can make perfectly good instant noodles by just breaking up the block then pouring boiling water from the kettle over it, and leaving it to sit. Then either eat that, or stir-fry it with veggies etc. Way easier and tastier than boiling the crap out of the noodles in a pot.

I'm really not comfortable with that sort of language about domestic violence, and neither should you be. Think about whether "she deserved it" would ever be acceptable. Maybe he cheated on her. Would he deserve it then? What if it was a girl who cheated on the guy? Would he have the right to punch her? People don't have the right to rip each other's ear off, no matter what the other person did. Just walk away.

And the "he deserved it" thing plays into some fairly toxic (and patriarchal) views of how the world works. Men make up a significant number of DV victims (40% according to british crime surveys). "Men are stronger than women" is only true in averages. Plenty of women are stronger than most men, and both men and women use violence to control their partners (e.g. look up the DV rate in lesbian couples: it's higher than in straight couples).

Implying that a significant number of DV victims that they deserved it - but only if they fit the right gender - kinda seems a little ... dickish and sexist. Though I'm sure you didn't mean to do that, but you should be aware that that sort of social narrative plays into keeping around 40% of DV victims silent. The sort of treatment male DV victims of women suffer includes the police and health services ridiculing them if they complain, having DV hotlines hang up on them or abuse them over the phone.

And it even affects women who seek treatment - there are cases of self-proclaimed female abusers trying to get into Anger Management courses but being denied entry because they're not male and the social services try and convince them that they are the victim and they've "internalized" the blame, whereas male victims who seek treatment are often steered into abuser-treatment programs. Basically the entire field is based on outdated and stereotyped views. Even Erin Pizzey, the woman who created the first women's DV shelter says the DV movement is full of shit on the male victims issue, and she's received death threats from other feminists for questioning the standard model and pointing out that significant numbers of women resort to domestic violence.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:33:04 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 7206 7207 [7208] 7209 7210 ... 10983