Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7284 7285 [7286] 7287 7288 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185564 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109275 on: September 13, 2016, 08:38:00 pm »

Funkahdafi. I cannot stop giggling.
That is pretty great.     
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109276 on: September 14, 2016, 05:37:41 am »

Funkahdafi. I cannot stop giggling.
That is pretty great.     
They even have a Malevich-inspired album cover.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109277 on: September 14, 2016, 09:28:03 am »

It's ridiculous how little research there is into decision trees, given how well they (technically, methods derived on their basis, but that's details) perform, and given that they're about the only directly human-understandable (and human-constructible!) method that works well on non-linear problems (which is most of them).

I'm gonna try to make a prediction: one of the next breakthroughs in field of artificial intelligence & human-machine integration will come through the help of new & improved decision tree methods.
._.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109278 on: September 14, 2016, 10:06:26 am »

¥  protect human life
¥  humans society is thr greatest threat to human life

... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...

¥  remove human legs, take away eyes

how does one improve decision tree making methods though?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109279 on: September 14, 2016, 10:10:52 am »

Thats part of the top down approach to AI. Its been attempted for about 30 years or something now, and it kinda failed miserably :u
Today research is focusing on the bottom-up approach, IE creating something that can perceive things and make decisions based on pattern recognition, which is how actual animals (and us) do things.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109280 on: September 14, 2016, 10:16:59 am »

thats fair, but isnt such a matrix more probe to errors?

its not like we have even identifyed all the 'patterns' we react to yet
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109281 on: September 14, 2016, 10:18:34 am »

We'll know when we finish making them, presumably. Not that being prone to errors is really a problem, exactly. They just need to be less prone (on average) than current tech and/or humans.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109282 on: September 14, 2016, 10:24:53 am »

Ye, people are still working out the whole pattern recognition thing. There's already stuff that can recognize patterns in words, images and sounds but thats still a long way from anything that could hope to pass a touring test, but its already worlds ahead of anything that used the top down approach (IE decision trees and etc).
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109283 on: September 14, 2016, 02:47:28 pm »

¥  protect human life
¥  humans society is thr greatest threat to human life

... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...

¥  remove human legs, take away eyes

how does one improve decision tree making methods though?
Well, one thing is making a more stable splitting criterion. Right now the existing decision tree algorithms (which were invented in fucking eighties and they're still being fucking used - it's unbelievable just how stale the field is) basically splits information into two roughly equal halves based on maximizing information gain, which means it's very unstable to small changes in database - especially if there are several attributes which are equally good for purpose of splitting. Fixing that would go a long way.

Thats part of the top down approach to AI. Its been attempted for about 30 years or something now, and it kinda failed miserably :u
Today research is focusing on the bottom-up approach, IE creating something that can perceive things and make decisions based on pattern recognition, which is how actual animals (and us) do things.
That makes no sense to me. Like, literally no sense. Neural network algorithms are not fundamentally different from decision trees at all - you feed some known labeled data into both of them, they each process it, and produce a fixed classifier at the end of their operation, which is then used to classify unknown examples. Hell, they are usually mentioned next to each other in all statistical classification books that I've read as equally valid ways of doing things, with each having their own advantages and disadvantages.

What do you mean by this "top-down vs bottom-up" thing? A genuine question here.
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109284 on: September 14, 2016, 02:55:54 pm »

Those are terms Ray Kurzweil used in one episode of exploration, which is this radio show thing hosted by Michio Kaku in which he interviews people and talks about weird science news thingies. I'll try to find it and post it here (fake edit: here), I have to go home so I'm not going to go into it myself, but I think they start talking about it after the 40 minute mark, or around then.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109285 on: September 14, 2016, 04:31:49 pm »

Those are terms Ray Kurzweil used in one episode of exploration, which is this radio show thing hosted by Michio Kaku in which he interviews people and talks about weird science news thingies. I'll try to find it and post it here (fake edit: here), I have to go home so I'm not going to go into it myself, but I think they start talking about it after the 40 minute mark, or around then.
Yeah, OK, I've listened to it, and decision trees are definitely the "bottom-up" approach. You seem to have it confused with the sort of a "rule-based" logical system, where you have a lot of "common-sense" and field-specific semantic/logical laws and rules and then use some sort of logic engine in order to produce statements and theories. Those did failed, I know that very well.

But decision trees are not like that at all. What they do is, in simple terms, repeatedly split given data on data attributes to put differently classified data into different places, and then use the resulting information construct to classify other data. It's data-based, in other words, just like neural algorithms are. But they're much less developed - last bit of serious research into core algorithm was made in 1984 - 32 years ago (CART).

I refuse to believe that after all these years, advancements in other fields have enabled no improvements to be made here.
._.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #109286 on: September 14, 2016, 05:22:20 pm »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109289 on: September 15, 2016, 01:26:15 am »

Want my WTF for today...
Previously had a problem with Steam Autoupdating when I don't want it to due to Limited Net Allowance. Set time to do Autoupdates at a time I am not online, 12pm-1pm.
Come home at 4pm to chat and jobsearch.
Get Email that I am over allowance again.
Look at Steam. YEP DOWNLOADING A FUCKING UPDATE AGAIN!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 7284 7285 [7286] 7287 7288 ... 10983