Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7374 7375 [7376] 7377 7378 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999014 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110625 on: October 07, 2016, 07:40:37 pm »

Except for "running on PC"...  Glad to be reminded of the game now that I have a 360 though!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110626 on: October 07, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »

There was an article I read about a month ago mentioning that a PC remake of Red Dead Redemption might be coming sometime in the future. It would be good since I did like the look of it but never wanted to buy a 360 to play it.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110627 on: October 07, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »

I'm skeptical. The exclusivity deal on RDR was kept absolutely airtight despite very high popularity. Wasn't there even an attempt at a PC release that got canned?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110628 on: October 07, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »

Red Dead Redemption isn't an exclusive - it is available on both major consoles, released simultaneously.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #110629 on: October 07, 2016, 08:31:15 pm »

You forgot the [/spoiler] tag there :O
bbcode tags require the first tag having the word, and the ending tag having a / before the word, like /word.

Now I'm getting how being tired is! Or...I still am unsure how to gauge it :I
< 3 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours; < nominal ~8 for the past two weeks. Hullo anxiety! \o/
But I think it's rather because of willpower and training. x_x It's been so long in regulating this.

And it's all for you, thesis ♥ (GRRRR)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110630 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »

Yes, that's the point, it's only done half right. Sandboxes are like AAA junk food, because it lets them make a whole bunch of Literally Nothing and sell it as a game feature. Your sandbox needs to come with a number of those little plastic castle makers equal to the size of said sandbox.

I cannot think of a single developer who has ever matched this obligation, but Rockstar gives it a good shake with RDR and GTA.

Part of the issue is, much like with the Freeform Space Simulator or Zombie Apocalypse (eeeyyyy RDR) games everybody wants is that it only exists in the heads of hyped up gamers. It's almost impossible for sandbox to work out as long as marketers can put "x2km map size!" up as a feature. There's only so much dev time to burn on these things. This is why I'm terrified for Breath of the Wild, because while I think it might work out there's a high chance it won't.

Take MGSV. Good game. Great game. Has no business being a sandbox and is mostly wasted because of it.

Call of Juarez is a good counter-example actually, because while it has sections with a lot of nothing it's a constructed nothing, because it's meant to convey a sense of journey instead of going to your next fucking map marker.

That's another thing going for Yakuza, at least 3 onward (can't remember if 1 and 2 had things...) since you could spend hours just pissing about doing things not related to beating the shit out of everyone. You can play various Japanese gambling games, mahjong, shogi, do some karaoke, bowling, darts, table tennis, a fuckin' weird massage game and other things I can't remember.

In the fifth one, you can even play an entirely different video game! There is even a mandatory rhythm game section for when you want to indulge your inner pop princess and it's super-duper fun.

The main game is solid, and you could get lost in the rest of it for feckin' days, man.

/plug
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110631 on: October 07, 2016, 09:30:18 pm »

Yakuza 1 had some stuff (and I really need to start playing the others), but it definitely did not have that much. The activities I remember from it were batting cages, golf, hostess clubs, and searching every square fucking inch of the city for keys to coin lockers.

I also did end up thinking of a sandbox game that got all the way there, Bully. I think it helped that it was smaller than average for a sandbox, but with a similar level of activity to GTA IV.

Fucking damnit, now I want that College Bully game again, noooooooooo
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110632 on: October 07, 2016, 10:09:55 pm »

Canis Canem Edit (also known as Bully in places other than here) was a great game.
My favourite Rockstar game by far... only rivalled by Red Dead Revolver and L.A. Noire. It's such a shame they have a fanbase always clamouring for the next GTA (a series I think is pretty much entirely bad), and then complaining if they change up the formula at all. GTA 4 was a step in the right direction, I thought- the city seemed very much alive, and it felt like you were actually learning your way around its streets and settling in and what-have-you.

GTA 5 was utterly garbage for anything apart from multiplayer shenanigans.
Red Red Redemption was pretty fun, the gunplay and everything was very good, as was playing cards. But it wasn't anything mind-blowing.
The musical number when you first got to Mexico was pretty great, though, I must say.

...Didn't Rockstar also make that table tennis game, back in the early Xbox 360 days? That was pretty fun, too.
I remember how awed I was by the graphics, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #110633 on: October 07, 2016, 10:38:22 pm »

i like open world games
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #110634 on: October 07, 2016, 11:03:15 pm »

So do i
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110635 on: October 07, 2016, 11:21:56 pm »

I like 'em. It's just, way too many got pumped out all at once. We're only barely starting to die down.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110636 on: October 07, 2016, 11:41:41 pm »

Oh, I don't mind open-world games, really.
But I hate gamess where (looking at you, Bethesda) they claim to be "open world" and that you can "make your own choices" and then proceed to railroad the fuck out of everything until you either turn off the game or die of boredom. Man, just thinking about Skyrim makes me angry. Fallout 4 was much the same, but at least punchin' robots was kinda fun. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110637 on: October 08, 2016, 12:33:16 am »

I dunno man, I love myself some open-world action,  it I'm not really sure what it is about them that O enjoy.

Fallout NV is one of my favourite games, and there's not much to do beyond fighting things, while GTAV I got about 60% of the way through before my save glitched, and I didn't want to play it again, despite the myriad of things to keep you occupied outside the story. Weird.

I'm intrigued by Mafia 3, and the sort of pre-review things I'be read suggest the combat is samey, which is kinda fine, while the story and characters are pretty good, which is a big selling point for me... but beyond that fighting there isn't much, apparently. Mafia 2's story was tremendously underwhelming, but a different guy is writing Mafia 3 so... yeah.

Ah well, I'll read a few reviews once they're done, and try to figure out if I'll like it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #110638 on: October 08, 2016, 12:48:23 am »

I just kinda like mindlessly walking around and killing shit without an overbearing narrative to distract me, and open world games are good for that.
If the level is wide open and I can just wander in any direction and not hit any walls and find something to do, even if that's not a productive thing to do, that's just great.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #110639 on: October 08, 2016, 01:24:05 am »

I haven't felt like actually making something in a really long time, but... For whatever reason Wizardry 7 is making me wanna just sit down and put together a dungeon crawler. ... Even if I know it's not a popular genre at all.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 7374 7375 [7376] 7377 7378 ... 10974