Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7379 7380 [7381] 7382 7383 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13136348 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110700 on: October 08, 2016, 11:57:30 pm »

If you've been under a large amount of stress lately I would recommend go8ng and seeing a psychiatrist. Take my advice with a grain of salt but while I experience different symptoms my family
Has a history of similar hallucinations so please go see someone before it gets worse. There are a lot
of contributing factors to a psychosis and I've had an extraordinary shit till time coping
With them but feel free to PM me
Eh, don't worry. It's probably just the neighbours. I remember back when they used to play either golf or billiards. I kept hearing the sound of balls being knocked into holes. It was actually quite funny since it was such a silly thing to actually be doing in the middle of the living room.

(BTW, are children actually afraid of the clown?)
I don't know about children, but apparently clown make-up was never meant to be funny. It was the signature style of some clown from the renessaince who had depression and later killed himself. Someone then wrote an opera about a clown who wore makeup inspired by him.

Btw, I'm half remembering this stuff  so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110701 on: October 09, 2016, 12:05:50 am »

From Watchmen:
Quote from: Rorschach
“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

But besides that...  Clown makeup is just unnatural.  It invokes the uncanny valley, maybe by design.  It's fine as part of a funny act, but on its own it's creepy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #110702 on: October 09, 2016, 12:06:37 am »

So, I don't know how many of you follow sports, US college football in particular. This will be sportsball talk, I don't care.

But the University of Michigan beat Rutgers today 78-0, which is absolutely absurd. Rutgers had 39 yards of offense, and 603 yards of punting. There was a while there where Rutgers had negative yards. It was the largest margin of victory for U-M since 1939. The thoroughness of this thrashing just sorta mindboggles me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110703 on: October 09, 2016, 12:07:37 am »

78-0

WTF

I do not football and even I can tell that is not how you football
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110704 on: October 09, 2016, 12:14:38 am »

I'm Australian and I keep forgetting that American football is different to Australian football.

But wow, those scores are insane.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110705 on: October 09, 2016, 12:15:33 am »

I'm Australian and I keep forgetting that American football is different to Australian football.

But wow, those scores are insane.
Even if you divide by 7 that score is insane.  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110706 on: October 09, 2016, 12:31:28 am »

So, I don't know how many of you follow sports, US college football in particular. This will be sportsball talk, I don't care.

But the University of Michigan beat Rutgers today 78-0, which is absolutely absurd. Rutgers had 39 yards of offense, and 603 yards of punting. There was a while there where Rutgers had negative yards. It was the largest margin of victory for U-M since 1939. The thoroughness of this thrashing just sorta mindboggles me.

Christ on a motorbike. I want to be a fly on the wall on the betting tables when this all went down.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110707 on: October 09, 2016, 01:30:40 am »

Wikipedia user pages sure are filled with service ribbons barnstars of merit, with clusters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110708 on: October 09, 2016, 02:08:54 am »

Jeez, oh man, this show sure does lay some heavy shit on you from time-to-time.
Now I think of it, the whole theme...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110709 on: October 09, 2016, 03:13:39 am »

My stress management textbook, an actual book that is presented as reputable by my school and professor, is seriously discussing biofeedback, auras, chakras, and energy alignment. They recommend this stuff for shit that can kill you in moments. Here's them talking about asthma, emphasis mine:

Quote from: They actually believe asthma works like this
Currently, drugs (e.g., prednisone) are the first method of treatment. However, relaxation techniques, including mental imagery, autogenic training, and meditation, maybe just as effective in both delaying the onset and reducing the severity of these attacks.

Brb, gonna tell all my asthmatic friends to throw away their inhalers lol

"What? She's blue in the face and unresponsive? No, not the inhaler, anything but Big Pharma! Get her some cat pictures and burn some incense, quick!"
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110710 on: October 09, 2016, 03:28:16 am »

... you do know those things specifically mentioned are in fact things that have been used for a while to... well, do what was mentioned. Right? Fair amount of other things, too. Less sure about the autogenic stuff, but mental imagery and meditation are both legit. Can be, at least. Having practiced relaxation techniques under your belt can actually do exactly what the quoted bit says it does: Not replace emergency treatment, but help reduce onset and severity. Stuff's been introduced into a lot of actual hospitals and whatnot for a reason.

I'm a mild asthmatic myself, by the by, along with a few other things relaxation methods help with. It works. It's not a replacement, but it can help keep symptoms under control.

Now if they're actually talking biofeedback and chakras and such, yeah, they loco. Meditation et al is good shit, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110711 on: October 09, 2016, 03:35:36 am »

The quotation specifically claims that relaxation techniques are just as effective as medical treatment, which I find dubious.

Also, bear in mind that the mildness of your asthma might be sparing yourself the worst of the symptoms. I'm technically a mild asthmatic myself, but I seldom notice it unless engaged in exahusting exercise (which I seldom do), or exposed to allergens (which I try to avoid). As such I've had to use my inhaler maybe twice in the last six months...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #110712 on: October 09, 2016, 04:01:31 am »

My stress management textbook, an actual book that is presented as reputable by my school and professor, is seriously discussing biofeedback, auras, chakras, and energy alignment. They recommend this stuff for shit that can kill you in moments. Here's them talking about asthma, emphasis mine:

Quote from: They actually believe asthma works like this
Currently, drugs (e.g., prednisone) are the first method of treatment. However, relaxation techniques, including mental imagery, autogenic training, and meditation, maybe just as effective in both delaying the onset and reducing the severity of these attacks.

Brb, gonna tell all my asthmatic friends to throw away their inhalers lol

"What? She's blue in the face and unresponsive? No, not the inhaler, anything but Big Pharma! Get her some cat pictures and burn some incense, quick!"
I-um, hope that context is also being taught alongside the impact of O_o nature there.

The quotation specifically claims that relaxation techniques are just as effective as medical treatment, which I find dubious.
^ This.
BioPsychoSocial. Traditional belief on how these things work--one cannot work without the other, and given the origins of asthma in the biological aspect, you've to work with that rather than going 'by thought alone'.

Also who is this Big Pharma? O_o Is this some kind of "Big Brother" idea but in connection with medical stuffs in a dubiously strange way?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110713 on: October 09, 2016, 04:03:21 am »

Big pharma is the pharmaceutical industry, notorious for being... lots of things, some quite bad.

And yeah, equal effectiveness is again loco. It helps, not ameliorates in its entirety.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110714 on: October 09, 2016, 04:43:54 am »

Imo: "Big pharma" as a whole is no worse than any other business, and better than some. At least it works pretty welll as a drug developmentm platform.

Mind you,  I'm all for state-funded healthcare innovation. Lay down the system, armor it's funding, pay for the infrastructure, and then we'll talk.

Aka: the main problem I see with "breaking the current system"  is that there's no alternative in place, and the initial cost of building one would be huge (even if it was so well designed that further down the road you actually saved more money).

The same thing happens with sponsored medical congresses. There's some outcry about it potentially causing conflicts of interest. Not without some reason (pharma visitor bickering ranges from schladenfreudenly ridiculous to obnoxious).  But in the other hand, sponsors have a legitimate interest in getting professionals to learn how to use their products correctly. Plus all too often, at least in my biz, the supposed conflict of interest is nonexistant because all too often you'll end up using all therapeutic options. AND there's literally noone else putting money for these. 

As an addenum: my impression is that most decriers of sponsoring tend to be from specialities that are getting little sponsoring to begin with.  So I feel at least part of the problem is envy..

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:54:57 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7379 7380 [7381] 7382 7383 ... 10980