Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7481 7482 [7483] 7484 7485 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13386085 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112230 on: October 29, 2016, 04:03:10 pm »

In the last hundred or so posts, the WTF thread has seamlessly moved between several different subject matters with shitposts sprinkled here and there, and yet somehow nothing seems out of place. Beautiful.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112231 on: October 29, 2016, 04:03:17 pm »

Ey up? What about Carthage and Rome. Rome likes to brag about how they won, true, but... I think it was Virgil? spoke of them as the only truly worthwhile foe they've had.

Granted, I'm biased in this regard because I idolise Hannibal. The gluten-and-human-flesh-free one. Assuming you don't ask what they ate on their way through the alps.
A respected foe is not the same as an admired foe

Lots of foes throughout history have respected one another immensely, admiration on the other hand is a great deal more rare

I don't understand your distinction. In order to be respected you must be admired, surely?

The question then becomes what is the most any two hostile forces have ever respected each other?
The Australians and the Emu.
The New Zealanders and the Kiwi.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112232 on: October 29, 2016, 04:11:18 pm »

I don't understand your distinction. In order to be respected you must be admired, surely?
Way I see it, there's a lot of things, ideas, people and nations that warranted or warrant respect, that need not warrant admiration to earn it. The two are pretty closely defined but with admiration there's more approval and wonder at what's being well... Admired. Respect can be given to that which you would not adopt yourself

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112233 on: October 29, 2016, 04:12:13 pm »

In the last hundred or so posts, the WTF thread has seamlessly moved between several different subject matters with shitposts sprinkled here and there, and yet somehow nothing seems out of place. Beautiful.

I love this thread. I'll fondly recall the Bee Swarm a few weeks back forever. Yes, threads here in the Bay is considered able to move from trolling to content, but hell, here, even the trolling is content.

What I meant about admired earlier was in the sense of "Oh, well, they beat us fair and square. Can't be said any other way. And that Kulneff fellow? Hurrah for him!". Hell, one of the poems, about a dying Russian soldier on the battlefield, ends on the words "by the grave, no one hates anymore." ("Vid graven hatar ingen mer", which is difficult to translate, but that's what it means, at least)

It'd be incredibly cute, however, with two societies at war admiring and shouting encouragement to each other. Maybe some blushing and some "Oh, stop it, you". Some Leonidas-looking type lying on his belly in the tent, legs stuck up and crossed, blushing cheek resting on his hand, reading a letter from the Athenians.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you go "Offtopic" today o_O
« Reply #112234 on: October 29, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »

This thread is basically "Complete and utter offtopic" and nobody really seems to be against that so I guess it's okay.

As for combat respect, Poland and Turks, to some extent. There's a reason why Ottoman Empire was the only one on which maps Poland still existed after the Partitions. Thanks to that, despite the Vienna and whatnot, many Poles fought in Turkish army (but, on the other hand, who did the Poles have not fought for?). Kebab just couldn't accept the fact that Lechistan could be conquered.
Despite the obvious hate, we always had a thing for Germans and their drills. Also we had quite a friendly rivarly when it came to horse riding pre-WW2.
Russians... well... there was always the dream of Slavic peace amongst us and we just prefer to blame the leaders than the simple people, though it's hard to forget Bolsheviks.
Up until Volhynian massacres we liked Ukrainians (Cossacks) despite them hating us, as we hoped for Commonwealth of Three Nations. This almost came to be a thing but we got screwed by our own king and his mercenaries.
Speaking of that... Poles and Poles. We have always been our greatest enemy and we have the greatest respect for ourselves. :P
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112235 on: October 29, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »

The question then becomes what is the most any two hostile forces have ever respected each other?
The Australians and the Emu.
The New Zealanders and the Kiwi.
The Great Emu War was actually a real thing, in case you are unaware.
"If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world... They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop."
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112236 on: October 29, 2016, 04:42:52 pm »

And I'm not sure emu have actually respected anyone, ever...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112237 on: October 29, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »

Why would you speak ill of an art form
Which's meter makes such a great ear worm
What's wrong with a limerick
You sound like a real prick
I can say my love for it remains firm

You wrote that?

If so, I really, really like.

Edit: Also, I love the word firm.

Thank you! :V
Love, scriver~

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112238 on: October 29, 2016, 04:56:09 pm »

Heh, the Poles must've been trollololololing on the floor when old Charles XII had to crash on the Turk's sofa, and even more when they chucked him out again (after four whole years, the hobo).

Denmark is a primary source of respect. Yes, you could wring their ears 'round and 'round on land, but going anywhere near the sea when the Danes were on the prowl was an invitation for a really, really bad time. Denmark itself is mainly just a tiny heap of sand in the North Sea, so it's hardly any wonder the Danes took to boating and became very, very good at it.

Of course, there was that one time the Belts froze up, and the Swedes could march over and wring ears in peace. I like to imagine Fredrik III recieving the news, kicking over a table and shouting "HAAAAXXX"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112239 on: October 29, 2016, 05:00:05 pm »

Denmark is a primary source of respect

lolno
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112240 on: October 29, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »

Why would you speak ill of an art form
Which's meter makes such a great ear worm
What's wrong with a limerick
You sound like a real prick
I can say my love for it remains firm

You wrote that?

Thank you! :V
I'd never say that of a limerick-toting bastard!  >:(

:P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112241 on: October 29, 2016, 05:04:49 pm »

Denmark is a primary source of respect

lolno

Begruding, secret respect, that we don't mention or normally acknowledge. Just like they do. I wouldn't say those things directly to a Dane, of course. They wouldn't do it either, that's how it works.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112242 on: October 29, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »

And I'm not sure emu have actually respected anyone, ever...
They're basically giant chickens. Like chickens, they're incapable of any emotion except hunger and hate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112243 on: October 29, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »

-limerick-
You wrote that?

Thank you!
I'd never say that of a limerick-toting bastard!  :P
Well that was only to be expected.
My bad.

EDIT: But not really! Anyone who didn't see the original missed their chance.
Now that it's gone I can say stuff like 'It would've made you weep to drown the sun' and nobody can refute it except Dwarfy. :p
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:29:56 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112244 on: October 29, 2016, 05:35:55 pm »

Oh, don't take what I said to heart. I was being light hearted - yours deserved praise, too.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7481 7482 [7483] 7484 7485 ... 10987