Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7486 7487 [7488] 7489 7490 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13135374 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112305 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:30 pm »

Not that I wouldn't believe a terrorist group that targets Catholics and Christians couldn't or even doesn't exist...

But... Yeah that... definitely isn't ISIS.
Boko Haram is a prime example, actually.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112306 on: October 30, 2016, 05:47:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112307 on: October 30, 2016, 06:04:03 pm »

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112308 on: October 30, 2016, 06:21:34 pm »

inb4 neopagans reform and gain access to great holy war casus belli

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112309 on: October 30, 2016, 06:25:26 pm »

Not enough holy sites.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112310 on: October 30, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »

What measure are the laws of man when they go against the will of the gods?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112311 on: October 30, 2016, 06:44:44 pm »

Not enough holy sites.
all holy sites are pagan sites

remove filthy abrahamic usurpers
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112312 on: October 30, 2016, 07:57:20 pm »

Jokes aside, I sometimes actually regret that a lot of cultures and religions were wiped out by Abrahamic religions. Be it whatever was in Middle East before Jews (nowadays the best mentions come from Bible and those usually reduce the Old Gods to deamons and purely evil enities, if not outright supersitions), everything that Muslims wiped out (Zoroastrians still exist but Zunbils?) and possibly the biggest and baddest of them all - various Christians. Slavs, Germanic religions, various others, not to mention Americas...

Make note that the human sacrifice is basically a meme when you're talking about Slavs. Only sources that claim human sacrifice are Christian and considering that the same sources usually claim that Jews did it too really says a lot about their credibility. I mean, sure, there is this one halfway-competent chronicle that claims it being widespread but it's a) Russian (and Russians are Russians) and b) written by a Christian monk.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112313 on: October 30, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »

A lot of old cultures did get absorbed and merged-in with the new religion, though. Particularly in cases where it'd been impossible to impose it with force. Even if it isn't done on purpose, it's very rare to defeat and absorb a culture without some of its traits making a mark. Of course, it often leads to fundamentalists further down the line trying to iron those out, but hell, being a fundamentalist is its own punishment.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112314 on: October 30, 2016, 08:12:30 pm »

*triggered*

Oh my gawd stop glorifying cultural appropriation, how dare you all celebrate Halloween and Yule you shitlord Christian dogs! D:

3. Run Resize Enable

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112315 on: October 30, 2016, 08:29:49 pm »

*triggered*

Oh my gawd stop glorifying cultural appropriation, how dare you all celebrate Halloween and Yule you shitlord Christian dogs! D:

Ah, cultural appropriation, or as I like to call it; Gibben sie EVERYTHING! The sentiment doesn't quite come across without a Fraktur font, but still.

Of course, the Norse beliefs that got metabolised by the church were also a result of absorbing something earlier and revising the results now and then as new influences rolled in. I imagine that's usually the case.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112316 on: October 30, 2016, 08:41:01 pm »

Yep. Syncretism is one of the oldest and most common patterns of human behavior. It's precisely why people whining about cultural appropriation or the War on Whiteness (or whatever they're calling it these days) are so annoying.

Granted, you've got to be careful. The Amerindians absorbed too much from Euroamericans while abandoning too much of their own (and were simultaneously rather nastily blocked from integrating with Euroamerican communities, while free/escaped blacks and whites who bailed on their settlements to live with local tribes were generally welcomed). The Euroamerican colonists and later settlements absorbed lots of the good bits of Amerindian knowledge and culture, but wholly destroyed the origin cultures partly by accident, partly through intentional economic warfare and genocide.

Note: No, the biowarfare was (probably) not intentional. Germ theory was only really starting to gain widespread acceptance in the 1800s. That said, there are plenty of primary sources of Europeans and Euroamericans praising god and shit for plaguing Amerindian groups with all their juicy diseases. They didn't entirely know how it happened, but they weren't sad and were plenty willing to exploit it.

Uncomfortablehistoryman, h'waaaaaay!

3. Run Resize Enable

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112317 on: October 30, 2016, 08:55:01 pm »

Weren't a significant portion of the natives dead when the colonists moved inland? I've heard it, but I'm not sure. It'd be pretty difficult repelling the invadors while undergoing a huge pandemic ripping across the land.

Of course, all history gets uncomfortable at some point, and it goes unexpected places, at times.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112318 on: October 30, 2016, 09:00:09 pm »

Until World War II, there was probably not a single real war where humans killed more than disease and famine.

Not that the colonists didn't totally genocide the natives literally and then culturally, but they would have lost that conflict if not for the pandemics. Hell, the US nearly got in trouble as it was, fighting the western natives and the Seminole.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112319 on: October 30, 2016, 09:09:39 pm »

Heh, the Vikings should've brought some more filth and yuck to Vinland if they'd wanted to win that fight. (Well, good thing generally they didn't, and they weren't invested enough in 'murican real estate to keep trying)
Pages: 1 ... 7486 7487 [7488] 7489 7490 ... 10979