Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7506 7507 [7508] 7509 7510 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179333 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112605 on: November 04, 2016, 07:01:57 am »

I'm not gonna say whether piracy is bad or not, but you could probably get a court behind you claiming EA for anywhere from theft to grand larceny depending on your library

Though to quote lawyerman:
Please don't quote me.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112606 on: November 04, 2016, 07:10:20 am »

I'm going to Hell for laughing at that.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112607 on: November 04, 2016, 07:32:56 am »

Though nah, you couldn't. You could try, but it wouldn't gain traction and you may face legal penalties for a spurious lawsuit. You might be able to get them on contract violation of some sort, but theft, larceny, etc., all pretty much require loss of a physical good (and some degree of malfeasance, iirc -- there's other stuff for accidental/intentional-but-legal destruction and whatnot, if my memory's working). EA nixing your origin library does not destroy any CDs you may have, or whathaveyou (and even if they did, it wouldn't mean much, as the CDs themselves are barely worth anything in and of themselves).

Copyright infringement est, for better or worse, and is something very different from theft simply due to the nature of the good in question.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112608 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:21 am »

Copyright infringement is its own class of violation, almost completely unrelated to theft apart from the fact it also damages one's right to proprierty in certain ways. Well, at least thats how the theory goes in some western legislations. Copyright is an umbrella term that covers rights that have economical expression and the creators rights over his creation, and these are handled differently, having different expiration dates, etc.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112609 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:53 am »

Good news: It is the battery, not the starter or alternator. The AAA tech I called out seems to think so, anyway, and was able to jump the car.
Bad news: The fact that it died overnight, with no lights on, and has been having difficulty cranking for the past week, tells me it still needs to be replaced and the shops don't open for another couple of hours yet. The battery in this model of car is also a pain to access.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112610 on: November 04, 2016, 08:21:00 am »

Rich people.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #112611 on: November 04, 2016, 08:24:37 am »

Just poked around the Steam board for Alice: Madness Returns - which I bought but never played as it required an EA account for a single-player game[/i] - and there's several topics regarding it disappearing from both the Steam store and Origin. One of them mentioned some method of playing it on Steam, but that required downloading 900MB of possibly legally questionable files and playing around with the configs, so I don't know how that works out. Maybe it bypasses the requirement for an EA account, I don't know.
Yeah, that's the part that makes me angry. They took singleplayer games, forcibly made them multiplayer for no reason, then shut them down forever because the multiplayer servers cost too much? Who even does things like that?!
EA? I'm not really a big fan of them, some of the stuff I've read doesn't exactly make them seem like nice people.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112612 on: November 04, 2016, 08:24:57 am »

Though nah, you couldn't. You could try, but it wouldn't gain traction and you may face legal penalties for a spurious lawsuit. You might be able to get them on contract violation of some sort, but theft, larceny, etc., all pretty much require loss of a physical good (and some degree of malfeasance, iirc -- there's other stuff for accidental/intentional-but-legal destruction and whatnot, if my memory's working). EA nixing your origin library does not destroy any CDs you may have, or whathaveyou (and even if they did, it wouldn't mean much, as the CDs themselves are barely worth anything in and of themselves).

Copyright infringement est, for better or worse, and is something very different from theft simply due to the nature of the good in question.

So this is gonna sound really stupid but could you get them for pirating the games from you?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112613 on: November 04, 2016, 08:32:02 am »

No, they didn't download anything. However, if they ever bring out a new 'updated' version of the game that works without steam, you might just be able to get them sued for cyberhijacking. (You know, that thing were criminal hackers lock your files and demand ransom to unlock them)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112614 on: November 04, 2016, 08:34:58 am »

... considering you don't own the copyright to their games. And piracy is, by and large, copyright infringement and nothing else. No. You couldn't.

Also good bloody gods mart, no, you couldn't. At sodding all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112615 on: November 04, 2016, 08:38:25 am »

... considering you don't own the copyright to their games. And piracy is, by and large, copyright infringement and nothing else. No. You couldn't.

Not under the current interpretation of law. But laws aren't set in stone.

First you need to make an argument for both the updated version and the Steam version being the same product, just in a different box.
Let's make an analogue with board games.
Imagine, you bought Monopoly in a shiny red box. You and your family enjoy Monopoly for a while, but then the game design's patent holder pushes a button, and the shiny red box in your cupboard activates a padlock system and you can't open your box anymore. A few weeks later, there's new monopoly games in the toy store, now in shiny black boxes. Would you accept that as a customer? Would you simply agree with the statement 'you don't own a monopoly game anymore' just because the box is locked? Would you spend money again for a new monopoly game to play with your family? Or would you say f* this, take a hacksaw and rip that shiny red box (or rather, force the patent holder to unlock your red box through lawsuit)?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:58:18 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #112616 on: November 04, 2016, 08:40:59 am »

Not under the current interpretation of law. But laws aren't set in stone.

I'll bet you a hundred dollars to a ham sandwich that the laws are not suddenly going to change in order to favor that one, for various reasons.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112617 on: November 04, 2016, 08:59:03 am »

Also sorry this should have gone in my personal thread... in fact I'll move it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:02:51 am by Neonivek »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112618 on: November 04, 2016, 09:01:11 am »

Butwait... Isn't DF RTP as well?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #112619 on: November 04, 2016, 09:02:52 am »

Maybe it's just me and my computer being silly somehow, but it seems that all avatars from photobucket.com are...broken or down? :-X All I see is the ripped picture icon and a blank box in many people's avatar areas, including mine.

How or why do these happen to the hosting sites?
Pages: 1 ... 7506 7507 [7508] 7509 7510 ... 10983