Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7509 7510 [7511] 7512 7513 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13005204 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112650 on: November 04, 2016, 06:01:37 pm »

any analogy to real-world property theft fails because in digital piracy there is nothing being taken out from control of the owner

in physical theft, the owner loses out on the money from the sale (assuming you steal from a store, and assuming you would otherwise buy the product) AND the item itself. they can't sell the same shirt you stole because you physically control it, there's no matter duplicator ray or something involved here.

in digital piracy, the owner loses out on the money from the sale (again, assuming you would buy it otherwise. given that the original conversation involved pirating a game you already purchased from them, I'm guessing you wouldn't buy it again, so in this case the owner is not losing said sale money) but does NOT lose the product. They can sell it again and again and again, as long as they retain a master template with which to create a copy to give to any purchaser.

and it's easier to say that the owner loses money from the theft of a physical object than it is from the piracy of a digital product, because they can't sell that shirt to someone else after the theft. with digital products there is no moral obligation for you to purchase the product (as opposed to simply not acquiring the product at all), so it's a little iffy to say they "lose money" based on them not selling it to you, whether you go on to pirate it or not. (and there also is no moral obligation to purchase with physical products, but at least with physical products you still have the object which has some intrinsic value. you can actually use the object for something else, or sell it to someone else if you miss a sale and haven't been stolen from)

to say that piracy from previous ownership is like buying a shirt and then stealing a new one once the old shirt has been rendered unusable (by the owner, in this analogy) fails because you're not taking a second physical object that they can't sell. it's more like re-creating the design of the shirt after losing it, so that you have a second copy of the shirt and the original owners retain the same number of shirts to sell (3D printers for example, though you wouldn't print a shirt because it's kind of hard to do that with woven fabric, or photo-shop and silk-screening a different shirt with the same design, to name some real-world ways you would actually do this)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:06:08 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #112651 on: November 04, 2016, 06:54:00 pm »

Lol the rimworld dude got so mad at people disagreeing with him that he locked his thread on this forum.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112652 on: November 04, 2016, 06:57:13 pm »

Are you sure it was him? I figured it was a NMS situation. Toady usually posts when he shuts down a long thread, but not always.

*grumble grumble transhumanism thread*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112653 on: November 04, 2016, 07:20:59 pm »

Yeah, that one does look weird. But it did look like a shitstorm was brewing and either the OP or Toady shut it down without comment. There's nothing in the moderation log(so no bans/mutes), so I would guess it was the OP.

Spoiler: More TWD:S2 WTFery (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #112654 on: November 04, 2016, 07:27:50 pm »

Are you sure it was him? I figured it was a NMS situation. Toady usually posts when he shuts down a long thread, but not always.

*grumble grumble transhumanism thread*

My first thought was an excited "WE HAVE A TRANSHUMANISM THREAD? AWESOME, LET ME G-"

At which point the part of my brain capable parsing context cut in and added. "No, we had a transhumanism thread."

Very sad.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112655 on: November 04, 2016, 08:06:31 pm »

Either would have been justified. People were trying to start up, by my count, at least two of the lines of discussion most prone to leading to locked threads. And in the most antagonistic way possible, to boot. Dev might have locked it to preempt people getting it locked (possibly intentionally) with their brawl over gender/sexuality/Gamergate, Toady might have locked it while processing reports. IDK.

e: Yyyy-eeep. 'nother manufactured controversy, RPS being the shitty clickbaiting shills they are, all that lovely stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:29:44 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112656 on: November 04, 2016, 08:19:54 pm »

So this is a somewhat overdue wtf but I thought I'd share.
Too many posts passed without comment I feel the need to note that I appreciated this.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112657 on: November 04, 2016, 08:26:48 pm »

So this is a somewhat overdue wtf but I thought I'd share.
Too many posts passed without comment I feel the need to note that I appreciated this.
Whoa, I think I somehow posted my response in the Happy Thread.
This is what happens when you try to make multiple-quote replies across two threads at once shortly after waking up. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112658 on: November 04, 2016, 08:37:35 pm »

Regarding the piracy and untrustworthy game companies thing, I'm not suggesting a solution. I don't care about solving the problem. I ain't no corporate avenger.

However, now that you know what they do, and that they will do this to you every time, stop buying their games.

Now it won't happen to you anymore.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #112659 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:40 pm »

My joyous wtf: Skyrim is way better than I expected it to be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112660 on: November 04, 2016, 09:35:02 pm »

Whiterun?  Last time I played I became archmage before entering Helgen!
Live Another Life is crucial for replayability (skips the opening sequence, no dragons at all until you happen across the ruins of Helgen)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #112661 on: November 04, 2016, 10:14:19 pm »

Another reason you want a new start mod is the intro can break easy if you have a few heavy script mods running. So it's pretty much a requirement if you're heavily modding the game.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112663 on: November 04, 2016, 10:17:24 pm »

Samsung is the pinnacle of form before function. I've been inside one of their investor showcases before. Cool, shiny, and useless if you're a human.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #112664 on: November 05, 2016, 12:01:18 am »

Oh god the movie version of the Megazord looks terrible. Like it barely even looks like a mecha. WHY DOES IT HAVE CHAINMAIL SKIN? WHY IS IT SO UGLY? WHERE'S THE RECOGNIZABLE PARTS? WHERE'S THE NONHUMAN PROPORTIONS AND FEATURES THAT MAKE IT CLEAR THAT THIS IS AN AWESOME MACHINE INSTEAD OF A LARGE PERSON? WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE A GUY IN NORMAL ARMOR AND NOT EVEN A GUY IN A BOXY SUIT? WHY IS ITS USE OF ITS COLORSCHEME SO BORING? WHY DO YOU FAIL AT MECH DESIGN SO BADLY HOLLYWOOD? WHY? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:03:42 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 7509 7510 [7511] 7512 7513 ... 10974