Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7637 7638 [7639] 7640 7641 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13200041 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114570 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:25 am »

Waitwaitwait. It doesn't? We were told that if we didn't go to x amount of classes, do x amount of hours of charity work in four different places (family, comunity, church, and something else), memorize 10+ bible verses, we wouldn't be able to be confirmed. We didn't even get food, you lucky bastard.
Different church, I suppose.  Yours sounds harsh.

Then again, mine's quite possibly pretty close to outright heretical sometimes.

Which flavor of church are we talking anyway?

Catholic Christian.

And you know how I said 'long story' earlier? All that stuff I talked about was lies. We were told we had to do it, but the total number of people who were confirmed at the ceremony was more than double the whole class had ever been and nobody seemed to see an issue with that.

Also the heresy sounds interesting. Expound?
The priest, naming no names, has said that they support gay marriage.  Much liberalism.

Also it may have been diocesan, I know mine was - had an entire cathedralfull of attendees.

The pope's said the same thing (that guy's great). And due to something I think about a new bishop, our church was allowed to be confirmed in a semi-distant cathedral with one other church, and we were kept separate at all times.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114571 on: November 30, 2016, 01:00:23 am »

Waitwaitwait. It doesn't? We were told that if we didn't go to x amount of classes, do x amount of hours of charity work in four different places (family, comunity, church, and something else), memorize 10+ bible verses, we wouldn't be able to be confirmed. We didn't even get food, you lucky bastard.
Different church, I suppose.  Yours sounds harsh.

Then again, mine's quite possibly pretty close to outright heretical sometimes.

Which flavor of church are we talking anyway?

Catholic Christian.

And you know how I said 'long story' earlier? All that stuff I talked about was lies. We were told we had to do it, but the total number of people who were confirmed at the ceremony was more than double the whole class had ever been and nobody seemed to see an issue with that.

Also the heresy sounds interesting. Expound?
The priest, naming no names, has said that they support gay marriage.  Much liberalism.

Also it may have been diocesan, I know mine was - had an entire cathedralfull of attendees.

The pope's said the same thing (that guy's great). And due to something I think about a new bishop, our church was allowed to be confirmed in a semi-distant cathedral with one other church, and we were kept separate at all times.
Uhhh, no, not to the same degree.  No.

(like, they actually want the Church to do it)

Huh.  Iunno.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #114572 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:11 am »

There was one thing or another where Bhudda sat under a tree, but I don't think any sort of fruit ever fell on his head.
I did a quick search about that. As it turns out, some people in Asia grow their pears to be shaped like Buddhas. So the reverse is kind of true.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114573 on: November 30, 2016, 01:19:27 am »

Buddha's head hit a pear?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114574 on: November 30, 2016, 01:29:33 am »

Edit: Ooh wait. Just remembered a piece of gold that came up in youth group that proves we need to educate people about religions that aren't their own:
Budda, yeah. That's the one the Jews worship, right? The one where an apple dropped on his head.
God I about died when the kid said this.

lol

The apple dropping on his head part comes from a myth where an apple fell on Issac Newtons head and that inspired/insighted him to his laws of physics. So, how that one ended up getting mixed up with Bhudda and the Jews, I have absolutely no idea.

There was one thing or another where Bhudda sat under a tree, but I don't think any sort of fruit ever fell on his head.

No, where he sat under a tree he was tempted by a sort of devil or somesuch with a number of virgins. Who if I'm remembering properly were the devil's daughters.

Sounds a heck of a lot like the Garden of Eden situation. Still though, point still stands, pretty sure Buddha never had any fruit fall on his head.

How the thing with Issac Newton got in there, I have absolutely no idea.

Also, it's spelled Buddha.

editwhiletyping: I thought it was spelled Bhudda, my mistake.

That's not-

Okay, so the tldr version of the story is: Buddha was a prince, he decided that there was more to life than material things, decided to figure out what, traveled around in poverty to try to find what, almost died, got his ass rescued, sat underneath a tree for 49 days, gained Enlightenment.

No temptation, no devils, no fruit, just sitting there for a long ass time meditating.

Now Jesus went out in the wilderness to meditate and Satan tried many temptations, though I don't remember if that appears in all of the Gospels, or the Gospels at all.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114575 on: November 30, 2016, 01:31:44 am »

Edit: Ooh wait. Just remembered a piece of gold that came up in youth group that proves we need to educate people about religions that aren't their own:
Budda, yeah. That's the one the Jews worship, right? The one where an apple dropped on his head.

lol

The apple dropping on his head part comes from a myth where an apple fell on Issac Newtons head and that inspired/insighted him to his laws of physics. So, how that one ended up getting mixed up with Bhudda and the Jews, I have absolutely no idea.

No, where he sat under a tree he was tempted by a sort of devil or somesuch with a number of virgins. Who if I'm remembering properly were the devil's daughters.

Sounds a heck of a lot like the Garden of Eden situation. Still though, point still stands, pretty sure Buddha never had any fruit fall on his head.

That's not-

Okay, so the tldr version of the story is: Buddha was a prince, he decided that there was more to life than material things, decided to figure out what, traveled around in poverty to try to find what, almost died, got his ass rescued, sat underneath a tree for 49 days, gained Enlightenment.

No temptation, no devils, no fruit, just sitting there for a long ass time meditating.

Now Jesus went out in the wilderness to meditate and Satan tried many temptations, though I don't remember if that appears in all of the Gospels, or the Gospels at all.
*no, there's a lot of Buddha stories that are very much not that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114576 on: November 30, 2016, 01:35:56 am »

lol

That's not-

*no, there's a lot of Buddha stories that are very much not that.

As Siddhartha sat under the tree clarifying this realization, he was faced with the temptations of Mara, the personified spirit of obstructive delusion. Mara attempted to unseat Siddhartha with worldly power, with fierce intimidating demons, and then with enticing women. Through it all, the prince remained unshaken and unmoved, aware of the temptations but intent on his meditation, thus modeling the determination to awaken and dissolve the suffering of all beings. Siddhartha's unshaken resolution is emblematic of the dedication of all bodhisattvas.

Source: http://www.dharmanet.org/coursesM/31/bodhisattva2e.htm

My game giveaway

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114577 on: November 30, 2016, 01:37:51 am »

Either way, there was no fruit hitting his head involved.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114578 on: November 30, 2016, 01:39:42 am »

I think you missed the joke. Overseer05-15 mentioned an ignorant kid mixing up religions, then joked by making the same mistake with a different set of beliefs.

But the fruit involving his head was a hit!

Also, dat quote pyramid.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114579 on: November 30, 2016, 01:41:05 am »

I conceed that there are many different takes on the tale.

I think you missed the joke. Overseer05-15 mentioned an ignorant kid mixing up religions, then joked by making the same mistake with a different set of beliefs.

That also makes sense.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114580 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:01 am »

But the fruit involving his head was a hit!

Also, dat quote pyramid.

Did I mix something up? I thought I had been doing well.

My game giveaway

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114581 on: November 30, 2016, 01:46:17 am »

He might have gotten mixed up with my observation of it sounding a lot like the Garden of Eden situation with demonic temptation, and also having a tree involved. Though the one Buddha sat under wasn't anything special.

I was just observing the common theme.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:48:44 am by smjjames »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114582 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:32 am »

You weren't joking when you said this?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114583 on: November 30, 2016, 02:06:19 am »

You weren't joking when you said this?

Yeah, turns out there are a few different tellings of Buddha sitting under the tree.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114584 on: November 30, 2016, 02:13:17 am »

My apologies, then. The weakness of the written medium strikes again!
Pages: 1 ... 7637 7638 [7639] 7640 7641 ... 10984