Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7642 7643 [7644] 7645 7646 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13202571 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114645 on: December 01, 2016, 02:35:22 am »

I recently built a PC. Cost me $900. Didn't even buy a graphics card :o

I will say that maybe a third of that cost was from getting an OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse, though. Even so, graphics card that would've lasted me a while would've cost about $300 anyway... I don't play many modern games on PC, anyway.

Sad that my modern OS doesn't want to play the old games.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114646 on: December 01, 2016, 02:40:13 am »

Any games in particular that you're having trouble getting to run? Though probably that's a topic for Other Games, or google.

I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS, although I wonder if MS would try to yank back the OS if I replaced the mb+cpu+ram+gpu.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114647 on: December 01, 2016, 04:11:58 am »

You're running a computer with no graphics card? Ballsy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114648 on: December 01, 2016, 04:17:04 am »

You're running a computer with no graphics card? Ballsy.
That's what my previous computer was!
._.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114649 on: December 01, 2016, 06:36:38 am »

Couldn't play Uncharted 1 'cause of the way the baddies react to getting shot. It felt like they became mimes doing the invisible wall thing, and I found that to be very jarring. Not in a scary way, just... it doesn't seem like a human would react to being shot by becoming Marcel Marceau. Broke my suspension of disbelief so hard.
Oh yeah, the gunplay in the first game was rather terrible.
Can't remember what it was like in 2, but by the third game it had improved a lot. Obviously I can't speak for 4 since I haven't played the singleplayer, mostly due to not actually owning a PS4. Even the first game was still enjoyable purely for the story, though- the main characters are such lovable psychopaths, just running around gunning down countless mooks whilst casually cracking jokes and bantering. It sounds stupid, but it works. :P

Anyway, even if you hated the Uncharted series it's worth giving TLoU a shot. It's an entirely different game.

In other WTFs: I just had a ridiculously long nap in a strange place with a rainy thunderstorm pouring down outside and a whole heap of dreams rushing through my head. Don't remember any of the dreams now, but there were a lot of them and I think they were rather detailed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114650 on: December 01, 2016, 06:45:39 am »

I think consoles have more going for them than you claim, mostly because a top notch console + accessories is miles cheaper than a top notch computer + accessories, most people don't have the time, money, or serious motivation to get a real gaming rig, and malware is just so much more common on computers than consoles (read: more convincing [take windows 10, for example.]).
But shit-notch PC is miles better than top-notch console and has similar, if not cheaper price. Gaming rigs that cost thousands are a meme anyway, you don't need it to play games.
I recently built a PC. Cost me $900. Didn't even buy a graphics card :o

I will say that maybe a third of that cost was from getting an OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse, though. Even so, graphics card that would've lasted me a while would've cost about $300 anyway... I don't play many modern games on PC, anyway.

Sad that my modern OS doesn't want to play the old games.
My PC is over 5 years old, cost me maybe 2000 PLN (which, I think, is much less than 900$), runs almost all games flawlessly except for lenghty loading times from time to time. I run Witcher 3 at high, could possibly get Ultra but it goes below 60 in cities. GTA V was also 60+ most of the time at medium-high, the only game I had trouble with at this point was Battlefleet Gothic: Armada with 30+ minutes loading screens (but it ran on ultra perfectly smooth, weird) but that at worst means downloading more RAM or maybe a new hard-drive.
Maybe it is true what I heard once that Poland is the promised land for PC gaming. :p
Consoles didin't really took of here and are at best used to play FIFA or some racing games by most.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114651 on: December 01, 2016, 07:51:16 am »

I think consoles have more going for them than you claim, mostly because a top notch console + accessories is miles cheaper than a top notch computer + accessories, most people don't have the time, money, or serious motivation to get a real gaming rig, and malware is just so much more common on computers than consoles (read: more convincing [take windows 10, for example.]).
But shit-notch PC is miles better than top-notch console and has similar, if not cheaper price. Gaming rigs that cost thousands are a meme anyway, you don't need it to play games.
Yes BUT do PCs (legally) support Smash Bros?
Checkmate.

Wait did you say 'download more RAM?'
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114652 on: December 01, 2016, 08:01:21 am »

My mother doesn't seem to understand the concept of spoilers. O.o

Edit: wait, maybe she does. She may have been being deliberately obtuse. Hard to tell.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:10:46 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114653 on: December 01, 2016, 08:16:54 am »

Checkmate.
What is Smash Bros?
I am only half joking. I never played it and I don't think I ever meet someone who played it IRL. Nintendo is barely recognizable in Poland, the only Mario games people easily recognize are the platformer ones.

Wait did you say 'download more RAM?'
Yes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114654 on: December 01, 2016, 08:19:48 am »

That's a shame, Smash Bros is like the pinnacle of owning a console just to play one game endlessly, sounds like it fits the console market you described.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:46:32 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #114655 on: December 01, 2016, 08:24:44 am »

I'm not even sure what it is.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114656 on: December 01, 2016, 08:46:04 am »

It's a competitive fighting game where all the fighters are Nintendo characters, and typically a couple of third-party additions. It's very, very, very popular in the US. I'm pretty sure it's also massively popular in Japan and Western Europe.

I'm not sure if it's the most popular fighting game series ever, but it's got to be up there.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114657 on: December 01, 2016, 08:47:15 am »

Checkmate.
They do, actually (cept maybe the absolute newest one, anyway), it's just a lot more involved than most people care to bother with. Emulators are generally legal, and it's possible to extract a game image from a... disc? I guess they are these days. You actually own without breaking any laws. It just involves a hell of a lot of effort and possibly having to construct some of your own hardware depending on the laws of your local region.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114658 on: December 01, 2016, 09:25:14 am »

I got tired of smash brothers, personally (for the wii, which is the first and last nintendo console I have ever owned, if you don't count handhelds*). Also tired of nintendo keeping prices high on their games for years and years after release, although at least it allowed me to turn in smash brothers wii edition (I forget the actual name) for a large amount of gamestop credit considering its age and how soon the wii u would be coming out.

* if you do count handhelds, I also owned a gameboy color, and one game for it (pokemon gold).

(The only consoles I have owned are the wii and xbox 360. I still have the 360 and games for it though I really haven't used it any time recently; the last few times were when my computer wasn't usable)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114659 on: December 01, 2016, 09:32:04 am »

It's just a story, you can interpret it however you want. Only thing I remember is when the History Channel was in their religion phase they talked about "water springing from the spear wound" as being caused by embolism.

Putting aside that none of this happened and it isn't history, it was a fairly good day for History Channel in-between blocks of Ice Road Truckers and Satan: The True Story.

I might regret asking this but... Please explain what you mean when you say none of this happened. Jesus and Buddha, at least, have historical records unrelated to the religion/ideology itself that confirm their existance.
Just noticed this. The quick version:

Not really. When dealing with figures given a sacred religious nature, the ability to rely upon historical record starts to break down when compared to secular figures. In terms of the big three religions, the base likelihood of existence is greatest for Mohamed and least for Jesus. Given his military actions, Islam emerging from whole cloth seems unlikely.  Buddha started life as a noble and thus had a chance of record, but everything about him is also just tradition. Jesus, on the other hand, is a complete unknown.

The historical record on these subjects cannot be fully trusted because said record is tainted by tradition and ad hoc reasoning. People who left records about their founding years were almost all followers, and as such supported their religious identity as a truth to start from. With thousands of years of potential corruption with motive for that corruption to exist, it probably does. Even if it doesn't, it's still prudent to remain skeptical.

There's also a case for outcomes other than "existed as recorded" and "literally fake". Was there a dissident rabbi-carpenter combo pack named Yeshua who was crucified by the Roman Empire to keep his followers from acting up? We can't possibly know. That information is lost, probably forever. When I say "didn't happen", that is a functional description in relevance to reliable history.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7642 7643 [7644] 7645 7646 ... 10984