Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8063 8064 [8065] 8066 8067 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13198103 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120960 on: April 18, 2017, 07:42:42 am »

Semi related, but here's a thing I only realized today. You know the whole wall street bull vs "fearless girl" thing? Turns out the bull was not only created by a sicillian immigrant (something I already knew), it was created out of his own money and took two years for him to make, and when it was installed, the guys who ran the NY stock exchange positively hated it and had it removed several times, until the city agreed to install it and loan it from the creator, because the common people actualy liked it very much.

In short, the charging bull is the result of a guy's artistic effort  that was fought against by super rich investors, and came to represent the common's man will.

The fearless girl statue thing? It was actualy comissioned by an investment fund, the State Street Global Advisors, whose assets are measured in trillions.  It was commissioned to be presented on the first anniversary of State Street Global’s Gender Diversity Index fund, which has the following NASDAQ ticker symbol: SHE.
The bronze plaque on the state even says "know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference."
Note that its SHE and not she. Its technically not representing woman, just the NASDAQ symbol.

TL;DR feminists are worshipping something created for them by really rich guys in suits.
Top lel
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:48:26 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120961 on: April 18, 2017, 08:07:00 am »

On a related note, you hear about the Hex guy who DDOS'd a website on Hex screwdrivers because it was an offensive spoof? Well, it turned out the spoof website was sockpuppted by some Hex jerkward trying to stir up hatred against the Philips Head guys. But then Philips Head Central (some weird internet group of Phil fanboys) actually used money from its war fund to protect the spoof Hex website that was actually set up against them, just before a Philips Head who knew what was going on DDoS'd it. Total kek.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120962 on: April 18, 2017, 08:25:05 am »

On a related note, you hear about the Hex guy who DDOS'd a website on Hex screwdrivers because it was an offensive spoof? Well, it turned out the spoof website was sockpuppted by some Hex jerkward trying to stir up hatred against the Philips Head guys. But then Philips Head Central (some weird internet group of Phil fanboys) actually used money from its war fund to protect the spoof Hex website that was actually set up against them, just before a Philips Head who knew what was going on DDoS'd it. Total kek.
Are those some obscure Internet gangs?
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120963 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:06 am »

Can people lose their temper problem?

I've had a temper problem my entire life and while it seems like, to other people, that I am a very calm person (STOP LAUGHING! I mean in real life) it is more because I am just completely restrained... to an almost unhealthy degree.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120964 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:27 am »

You become angry, because you care.

What makes you care about the situations where you get angry?  Start there. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120965 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:52 am »

I feel like anger flips like a switch for me :P

But ohh well it has been years since I last lost control.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120966 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:30 am »

Yep. Could have gotten trapped in the basement and lost too much heat to get out however it came in. Your mum might've saved the snek.

A good deed for the day, and not a bad idea. Sneks eat vermin, after all.

Squirrels, however. They will eat all sorts of things. They are quite vicious little bastards, all together. Fascinating creatures, but have no doubt that where you shrunk to some ten inches high, they would not hesitate to bite your head off. They, too, have to eat, but they are unusually ruthless.

Semi related, but here's a thing I only realized today. You know the whole wall street bull vs "fearless girl" thing? Turns out the bull was not only created by a sicillian immigrant (something I already knew), it was created out of his own money and took two years for him to make, and when it was installed, the guys who ran the NY stock exchange positively hated it and had it removed several times, until the city agreed to install it and loan it from the creator, because the common people actualy liked it very much.

In short, the charging bull is the result of a guy's artistic effort  that was fought against by super rich investors, and came to represent the common's man will.

The fearless girl statue thing? It was actualy comissioned by an investment fund, the State Street Global Advisors, whose assets are measured in trillions.  It was commissioned to be presented on the first anniversary of State Street Global’s Gender Diversity Index fund, which has the following NASDAQ ticker symbol: SHE.
The bronze plaque on the state even says "know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference."
Note that its SHE and not she. Its technically not representing woman, just the NASDAQ symbol.

TL;DR feminists are worshipping something created for them by really rich guys in suits.
Top lel

I did not know that. Fascinating story, and it is a very nice statue, as well. Rather typical, I must say.

It is particularly odd and fascinating, for I have a very similar statue story.

There is a large equestrian statue here in Gothenburg, of king Charles IX on his warhorse. It was built in 1904, as a memorial to the king and his efforts to build a fortified trade city in the region, which eventually led to the current city. It is a rather pleasant statue, raised for a very significant ruler in the context of local history.

A few years ago, a small "counter-statue", as it were, was installed on the opposite side of the road. It, too, is rather pretty, it is a young girl riding a fantastic beast of some sort (Think of the Neverending Story), and the whole thing is no taller than half a meter or so. It is a pleasant little contrast, I suppose. The power of future and imagination before the wordly power of history and an autocratic monarch.
However, it also irritates me, part of the attitude that the little counter-statue expresses. One hears it expressed now and then. "Oh, she is standing up to the mean old king, she represents freedom, imagination and hope, while he comes with war, dictatorship, cruelty and the death penality. Why, is it not good that we are more enlightened these days? People one century ago were dumber than us, erecting that hulking, nationalist old idol. Good that we have something to stand up to it, now!"
It is a very simple and naïve way of looking at the king. He was a violent, autocratic and cruel ruler, but more to the point, lived in a violent and cruel era. He had to be, if he was going to last, if his kingdom and people were going to last. Being good and soft and lovely, embracing freedom and peace and what-not, was not an option in the 1590's, and it is his heavy-handed rule that we have to thank for, now that we can be free and happy, and all the ideas that the little girl on her fantastic beast can grow in a tilled field, nutured by the spilled blood of the past.

Indeed, those silly old "nationalist romantics" who raised the statue where not blind nor dumb, despite their modern portrayal. They knew of their statue's implications very clearly indeed. The modern king of 1904 who inaugurated the thing said as much, that although the old king ruled with a hand too heavy for the standards of modern times, he warded the work of his fathers, and prepared the future work of his sons.

Same story, more or less. People with no knowledge, nor care therefor, builds new, hip statue to subvert and twist the nose of the old one. Assumes the previous builders were more stupid than them on account of being older (and more to the point, dead), and misses the point. Silly, silly, silly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120967 on: April 18, 2017, 09:23:00 am »

It is the continued arrogance of man to assume every current year they are wiser than the entirety of the predecessors; the contemporary decries the modern and medieval as a dark time to escape, not the foundation of their bright civilization. A pity, the past still has more lessons to teach us

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #120968 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:50 am »

So, we should consider that it might not have been bad to live as an uneducated peasant and die of horrible disease because nobody knew about germs or viruses yet?

Important things happened in the past. It doesn't mean that it was a super awesome fun time to live in feudal Japan, or medieval Europe, or the American Deep South when segregation was legal and violently enforced. A lot of the important things that happened in the past happened because shit sucked and people didn't want it to be that way anymore.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120969 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48:35 am »

Indeed. Their world did not have ubiquitous mass surveillance, and total human population was sufficiently low that a person could very well live genuinely free of society, if they kept a low profile.  That is something that is very difficult to ascribe an equivalent value to.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120970 on: April 18, 2017, 09:56:08 am »

That is an odd conclusion to reach. I do not believe that is the point of the statue story at all.

The past were not a particularly pleasant place to be. Naturally. It is not something to aspire a return towards. However, it tends to be regarded in a very simplistic light, and its complicated workings and effects ignored. Unquestioning adoration for the past, ignoring its realities and horrors, is not a good relationship with the past. However, neither is a simplified picture of it, with modern values thoughtlessly applied.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120971 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:59 am »

It is the continued arrogance of man to assume every current year they are wiser than the entirety of the predecessors; the contemporary decries the modern and medieval as a dark time to escape, not the foundation of their bright civilization. A pity, the past still has more lessons to teach us
"Every generation thinks itself more intelligent than the one that went before, and wiser than the one that goes after"

The odd thing is... that even if you don't come at it from a Chronological Snobbery angle.

It is kind of the goal that the people who come after us are better equipped, more wise, stronger...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #120972 on: April 18, 2017, 10:08:35 am »

Or at least better armed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120973 on: April 18, 2017, 10:11:24 am »

That is an odd conclusion to reach. I do not believe that is the point of the statue story at all.

The past were not a particularly pleasant place to be. Naturally. It is not something to aspire a return towards. However, it tends to be regarded in a very simplistic light, and its complicated workings and effects ignored. Unquestioning adoration for the past, ignoring its realities and horrors, is not a good relationship with the past. However, neither is a simplified picture of it, with modern values thoughtlessly applied.

I did not say that.  I just said it afforded some luxuries that the modern age simply cannot provide. There was no slavish adoration for living in conditions where people died of curable diseases more often than not, or where hunger, and predation by animals were real concerns of the average person.

Only that if you really, really did not want to be found, the state apparatus did not have the means to find you, unless they really really wanted to find you. That level of privacy is totally unheard of today.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120974 on: April 18, 2017, 10:15:41 am »

I did not say that.  I just said it afforded some luxuries that the modern age simply cannot provide. There was no slavish adoration for living in conditions where people died of curable diseases more often than not, or where hunger, and predation by animals were real concerns of the average person.

Only that if you really, really did not want to be found, the state apparatus did not have the means to find you, unless they really really wanted to find you. That level of privacy is totally unheard of today.

Oh, I beg your pardon, wierd, I meant itisnotlogical's post. I ought to have quoted it, and made it more clear.

I do know what you mean, and I do think it is a fair and intriguing point.
Pages: 1 ... 8063 8064 [8065] 8066 8067 ... 10984