Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8107 8108 [8109] 8110 8111 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169447 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121620 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:35 am »

Yeah, we just need to remember the scandal in France just a few months ago, when half of the country's nuclear plants were shut down, after it was discovered that the supplier of steel for the construction of the plants was corrupt, and was supplying inferior quality cheap steel for the pressure domes  (lesser quality steel meaning less pressure resistant here). I think two or three plants still remain shut down, not sure, haven't seen too much follow up news on it.

Problem is, if you want to ensure that no money driven interests are involved in nuclear power, you kinda have to go full communism on every industry that is even remotely involved in the design, construction, maintnance and operation of nuclear power plants, and nationalize them all. Good luck with that.
And still, even if you do that, it's no guarantee that there will not be some form of corruption undermining safety.

A good start would be to increase punishment for anyone involved in corruption with nuclear plants. The CEOs of the steel supplier should be imprisoned for life, and all their assets seized, in my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:59:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121621 on: May 04, 2017, 04:24:59 pm »

Problem is, if you want to ensure that no money driven interests are involved in nuclear power, you kinda have to go full communism on every industry that is even remotely involved in the design, construction, maintnance and operation of nuclear power plants, and nationalize them all. Good luck with that.

I dunno the Aviation industry does well with what it does.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121622 on: May 04, 2017, 05:00:52 pm »

Learned that my stepdad's cousin was charged with multiple homicides the other day(as in, he was charged the other day).

I never realised Bruce Willis was a brilliant harmonica player (and singer!) until just now. Whoa.

He was a nightclub singer before getting picked for Die Hard.

That chronology is wrong, he was a TV actor before Die Hard, and did things such as bartending in NY to support himself while he got established, and Die Hard wasn't his first lead role in a film. Also, can't find any reference to this singing career you mentioned, except one critically panned album he released of blues covers while he was a TV star.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:08:02 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121623 on: May 04, 2017, 05:16:55 pm »

He's kind of a dick though
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121624 on: May 04, 2017, 06:00:44 pm »

Yeah, we just need to remember the scandal in France just a few months ago, when half of the country's nuclear plants were shut down, after it was discovered that the supplier of steel for the construction of the plants was corrupt, and was supplying inferior quality cheap steel for the pressure domes  (lesser quality steel meaning less pressure resistant here). I think two or three plants still remain shut down, not sure, haven't seen too much follow up news on it.

And still, even if you do that, it's no guarantee that there will not be some form of corruption undermining safety.

A good start would be to increase punishment for anyone involved in corruption with nuclear plants. The CEOs of the steel supplier should be imprisoned for life, and all their assets seized, in my humble opinion.
in general we just need to start severely punishing greedy company's. they get away with killing and hurting so many people its just bullshit. sold knowingly defective products that killed a hundred people? Life in Jail.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121625 on: May 04, 2017, 06:09:15 pm »

If they were fully aware the product was defective and dangerous, it ought to be treated the same way as manslaughter.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #121626 on: May 04, 2017, 08:49:03 pm »

wow a lot of this is some stupid shit

Battle Pass owners now have the opportunity to double down on the MMR they're willing to put on the line. At the start of a Ranked match once per week—with more chances available at higher Battle Levels—you'll have the option to double your potential MMR loss or gain. Win the game, score twice the points. Lose, and you'll fall ever further down the ladder.

what

In the Dota community, the right sound bite can describe a moment better than text or emoticons ever will, and with the addition of sound effects to the in-game chat wheel, players have a powerful new way to express themselves. Earn new sounds as you roll along the Battle Pass Rewards path, and let the world hear how you really feel. A team-chat sound can be played twice every 30 seconds, and all-chat sounds can fire once every five minutes.

sound clips include "WAOW" and "it's a DISASTAH"

what

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #121627 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:29 pm »

wow a lot of this is some stupid shit

Battle Pass owners now have the opportunity to double down on the MMR they're willing to put on the line. At the start of a Ranked match once per week—with more chances available at higher Battle Levels—you'll have the option to double your potential MMR loss or gain. Win the game, score twice the points. Lose, and you'll fall ever further down the ladder.

what

In the Dota community, the right sound bite can describe a moment better than text or emoticons ever will, and with the addition of sound effects to the in-game chat wheel, players have a powerful new way to express themselves. Earn new sounds as you roll along the Battle Pass Rewards path, and let the world hear how you really feel. A team-chat sound can be played twice every 30 seconds, and all-chat sounds can fire once every five minutes.

sound clips include "WAOW" and "it's a DISASTAH"

what

DoucheUpgrade.runClip(new AudioClip("It's a DISASTAH"));
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121628 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:55 pm »

why on earth would you subject your match-making mechanic to player manipulation like that? That just seems like... REALLY poor game design.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #121629 on: May 04, 2017, 10:28:22 pm »

I'm sure they'll notice their mistake and correct it soon enough.

In Valve time.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121630 on: May 04, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »

why on earth would you subject your match-making mechanic to player manipulation like that? That just seems like... REALLY poor game design.

Gamble your way out of ELO hell.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121631 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:24 pm »

Money

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #121632 on: May 05, 2017, 12:44:23 am »

Spoiler: Wait a minute.... (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121633 on: May 05, 2017, 12:46:02 am »

Oh boy, free sugar!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121634 on: May 05, 2017, 12:56:37 am »

I was coerced into riding a bicycle earlier.
Hard to say which is the bigger WTF, that I actually did that, or that I survived unscathed. *shudder*     
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8107 8108 [8109] 8110 8111 ... 10983