Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8129 8130 [8131] 8132 8133 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188224 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121950 on: May 13, 2017, 02:37:51 am »

I think if a species has an advanced social structure, like elephant herds, monkey troops, human tribes, or horse herds, they're *generally* more empathetic towards other species than loner species.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #121951 on: May 13, 2017, 04:35:52 am »

I was looking up research on a paper, and I had struggled for sources for a while so I read a lot of wikipedia to fill in some gaps. Well, while reading one of my sources, I realized to shock that I had actually read that before: it was almost word-for-word from the Wikipedia article! (Well, other way around, since this book was published in 1987).

It's not like just a few words either, it's almost an entire article was lifted from a continuous section of this the book. I don't know how I feel about citing it, now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:37:32 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121952 on: May 13, 2017, 04:40:14 am »

Here's your out. Cite the book, then get out a thesaurus and change the wording of the Wikipedia article. You can put the actual reason in the edit, that it was word for word with copyrighted material.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #121953 on: May 13, 2017, 07:59:10 am »

I don't know shit about guns.

What I *do* know is that, before you ever put a god-damn round in a gun, you should damn well know what you're going to do with it, and how to do it. Gonna fire it? Gonna take it out again? FIND OUT HOW YOU DO THAT BEFORE DOING IT.

Quite! I remember when my neighbour taught me his old elk-bouncer. Not putting yourself into the position of having to unload it was lesson one. Pointing it somewhere safe and keeping the finger outside the trigger arch was lesson two, and forgetting it was a clout to the head, every time.
I do believe that Mr Akura's Step-Father, Esq., could have benefitted immensely from an instructor, one with carte blanche to clout him over the head. That ought to be made law. Even the people at the gun shop ought to be deputised to do so.
-"There you are, sir, a Bangberg & Son Defender 3000. Care to show me, before you go, how to unchamber it properly?"
-"Err, well, I..."
*Donk!*

Of course, pointing the same at people, particularly with fingers inside the trigger arch, would be grounds for a damned good thrashing, under my regime.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121954 on: May 13, 2017, 09:59:50 am »

You know... just to show why Review ratings are just total BS and obviously the majority of people who review them are people who own the game and are defending them... Here is a review, I won't even tell you what game it is:

salt and sanctuary meets rogue legacy.
first impression is amazing. looks and feels great

90%+ Found this helpful

I mean goodness doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about this game? "It is like these two games, also it is good"

Clumsy. Sadistic. Garbage.

4%... and believe it or not, it actually says more about the game then the positive one.

So people here who often harass people for not unequivocally proving a game is bad for their negative review and don't really see the double standard... There you go.

Not that either of these are particularly good... But they are direct equivalents and show the sheer discrepancy in how people view scores.

---

Then again that is because Negative reviews shouldn't have to ever JUSTIFY their negativity. They should just let you understand where the review is coming from.

I don't get why people have this mentality that reviews MUST reflect their own view or at least the overall popular consensus. That is abhorred!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:05:45 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121955 on: May 13, 2017, 10:05:32 am »

Assassins Creed III? Or rather the one that takes place in Revolutionary War era Boston. 'rogue legacy' sort of gave it away.

Also terrible are the reviews that only played for a very short amount of time.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121956 on: May 13, 2017, 10:14:17 am »

Cant really fault players who only played a short time though.

I mean, If people DO NOT LIKE something, why should they have to go full masochist mode just to be taken seriously about how they REALLY, REALLY did not like it? Wouldn't that be self defeating, because then people would complain "Well, if you HATED it so much, why did you play it for 8 damn hours?!" instead?

Is there some magic number of hours that people should play a game they have found they hate, to be eligible to voice such dissatisfaction, without being called hypocritical liars?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121957 on: May 13, 2017, 10:17:48 am »

True I suppose.

Also, part of the problem with thumbs up and thumbs down rating is that sometimes the opinion is more in the middle ground as there are positives as well as negatives.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121958 on: May 13, 2017, 10:18:34 am »

Cant really fault players who only played a short time though.

I mean, If people DO NOT LIKE something, why should they have to go full masochist mode just to be taken seriously about how they REALLY, REALLY did not like it? Wouldn't that be self defeating, because then people would complain "Well, if you HATED it so much, why did you play it for 8 damn hours?!" instead?

Is there some magic number of hours that people should play a game they have found they hate, to be eligible to voice such dissatisfaction, without being called hypocritical liars?

Well that and with what we know about videogame design and improvements over the many decades that videogames have been around. Is it really excusable for a game to "not get good" until many hours in?

Doesn't, in many ways, a game deserve a negative review for not capturing a player's enjoyment early on? I mean it isn't like that one negative review will sink the game.

Not that a major reviewing outlet can get away with such a review.

---

Sorry I am a bit grumpy.

Felt horrible yesterday, got sleep anxiety and so I didn't sleep until 5, had a WEIRD Nightmare and woke up at 9... (Weird in... it wasn't REALLY a nightmare. Yet my body reacted like it was)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:38:59 am by Neonivek »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #121959 on: May 13, 2017, 11:35:50 am »

I think if a species has an advanced social structure, like elephant herds, monkey troops, human tribes, or horse herds, they're *generally* more empathetic towards other species than loner species.
Rats and mice are better than hamsters because while the latter is cute and floof, the former are both social creatures. :P
True I suppose.

Also, part of the problem with thumbs up and thumbs down rating is that sometimes the opinion is more in the middle ground as there are positives as well as negatives.
And that the context makes the rating matter :/
And the audience taking it.
And how it's written, and many more things. :P
Usually even those with thumbs down on steam reviews add the reasoning behind it as the picture and red color don't explain much.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121960 on: May 13, 2017, 01:01:17 pm »

Today I noticed a car with a peculiar plate number: SCP 987
A quick search gave me this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121961 on: May 13, 2017, 03:05:21 pm »

First, last night with the guns, what had happened is that not only is my stepdad lacking the intelligence to operate a firearm, he lacks the intelligence to maintain them - the slide rusted shut when the round was chambered. He applied lubricant and (I FUCKING HOPE) removed the bullet.

Oh and they were drunk when they were playing with the gun.

Second, my mother was just in a car accident. Not severe, but she suffered a neck strain. She was rear-ended in her work truck by another driver who was distracted by someone trying to tell that driver to "stop pulling out or you'll hit that truck".
My mom thinks she'll be back at work on Monday.

The worst part was the ride home, being driven by my stepdad's sister... who is a complete psychopath whom I have absolutely no idea how the hell she ever got a  driver's license. Speeding, jerking through turns, running stop signs, no turn signal, no seatbelt, using her phone. She forced her way into very busy traffic, cutting off several cars, then stopped at an intersection she had no need to, just to let several cars turn and irritate the cars behind us - for no reason. All while my mother(who was discharged from the ER not an hour before) was in the passenger seat.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121962 on: May 13, 2017, 03:55:47 pm »

To be quite honest, if your dad is that negligent with guns, and even playing with them drunk, you should anonimously report him to the police, or whatever official institute is authorized to revoke his gun licenses.

Might sound harsh, but it's a gazillion fucktimes less harsh then ending up with an accidental bullet in your gut and slowly bleeding to death in agonizing pain.

EDIT: if that's too harsh for you, you could also steal his guns and sell them off at a pawnshop he's never heard of.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:58:17 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121963 on: May 13, 2017, 04:03:13 pm »

Please do not steal a gun with a round rusted into the chamber and then try to sell it to a pawn shop.

That sounds suspiciously like something I read in the paper ...

I support the 'report him' biddy, if thats your gig though.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121964 on: May 13, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »

He should be goddamn glad it didn't go off when he tried firing it the backyard. A jammed gun blowing up in your face is a thing that happens.

But yeah, obviously don't sell a gun with a round chambered. I meant sell it after making sure your dad managed to get out the rusted round.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 8129 8130 [8131] 8132 8133 ... 10983