Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8150 8151 [8152] 8153 8154 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188369 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122265 on: May 21, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »

O boy, today, during/near the end of a Shadowrun session, i reached a new level of social exhaustion that i didn't even think was possible. I was, for a short time afterwards, actually on the verge of passing out from exhaustion, but thankfully i recovered from that state within about 20 minutes. At least the session was extremely fun, almost to the point where i want to ramble about it. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122266 on: May 21, 2017, 07:01:31 pm »

bought a car today

\O/ im a people again
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #122267 on: May 21, 2017, 11:50:56 pm »

bought a car today

\O/ im a people again
You were always a people, even without a car O_O

I'm real surprised that my phone (...ok, my sister's phone passed down to me) dies so easily from battery loss when I play games on it <_< Around half an hour and it is 20%~ down, and it's an android phone! (I've no idea what phones have better retention other than just remembering the old Nokia I owned was 10x more durable than phones nowadays...and it had Space Impact ♥)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122268 on: May 21, 2017, 11:57:58 pm »

That's pretty fast, so replacing the battery would probably help a lot. 

They're designed to fail.  We call it "planned obsolescence", and it's horrible.  They (probably) don't actually design the batteries to fail sooner, but they make more money when it fails.  Especially when the battery isn't officially replaceable.

Edit:  I uploaded a silly edit on imgur, as usual, but decided to publish it and see what happened.  93 views in 5 minutes.  131 views and 2 comments in 18 minutes.  I assumed it would be more like youtube, but I suppose a picture is worth a thousand views.  As they say.

218 people?  Even though it's probably trailed off now, a couple hundred people saw my low-effort edit in less than half an hour.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.

(I posted it in the DND thread, it's just some nerd humor)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:03:08 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #122269 on: May 22, 2017, 12:10:11 am »

Um, as an engineer, I want to point out that EVERYTHING has a lifetime. Sure, old tools seem to last for a long amount of time, but that's because they're inefficient and overengineered. Electronics age quickly these days in return for lighter weight and cheaper cost, and in the long run it's better that way. Well, it's not great for the environment, of course, but blame reality for making cool electronics shit toxic. :V
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122270 on: May 22, 2017, 12:12:36 am »

I'd take some overengineering for stuff that keeps working as well as if it just came out of the box for years.  Eh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #122271 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:02 am »

Well, smartphone batteries last for 3 years, that's two decades in dog years.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122272 on: May 22, 2017, 12:58:39 am »

"over engineered" is the subjective term here.

Over engineered, by who's estimation, and by what set of metrics?

If the intention is to have the construction (does not matter what it is-- building, road, car, device, whatever. It is a construction.) last longer than is normally expected, or endure under harsh circumstances, then putting in the effort to make a more durable, resolute design is not "over engineering"-- it is design with a specific goal in mind, and meeting or exceeding those design goals.

The subjectivity comes in when determining what the decisions on the design goals are. 

What Neon and pals are complaining about, is that the "design goal" for longevity is typically "until about halfway into the next product's release cycle" which is being blasted out "as soon as possible!".  This is mostly because of bean counters muttering incessantly about "margins" and "shareholder value." 

So, if "over engineered" is taken to mean "outlives expected device life cycle", then the derogatory quips about "Planned obsolescence" are exactly spot on. (The device is being designed to only survive active use for a set period of time, after which it is EXPECTED that it will be decommissioned and destroyed, then replaced with a new product that is subject to similar design goals) For people that like to get more value from their purchases this is undesirable. (the trend will favor "ever shorter" device lifetimes, as shorter and shorter device lifespans, with faster and faster development cycles maximizes revenue. The only downward pressure against such runaway feedback in the industry are the people who INSIST that devices live longer, and thus puncture the bubble, by refusing to purchase devices that do not have a good durability or longevity based design.)

If "over engineered" is taken to mean "Unnecessary amounts of resources and energy were invested into a construction, such that those resources are effectively wasted, and do not add to utility of the construction."  then such quips do not apply.

Given the statement you made about old tools living longer because they are "over engineered", I presume you mean this former sense, and the derogatory quips about planned lifecycles applies.  Personally, I only use "over engineered" for this latter case. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:05:52 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122273 on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:20 am »

What Neon and pals are complaining about, is that the "design goal" for longevity is typically "until about halfway into the next product's release cycle" which is being blasted out "as soon as possible!".  This is mostly because of bean counters muttering incessantly about "margins" and "shareholder value." 

Wait huh? I was talking about something?

Or have I become such a voice of decent and negativity that I am like a concept?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #122274 on: May 22, 2017, 02:53:11 am »

I found you on the Divine Sin: Orignal Divinity 2 forums yesterday, Neonivek. I recognised the style of writing before I saw that it was the same name ;)
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122275 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:33 am »

I am just really exhausted after all the funeral things. Be thankful that my schpeel was as cogent as it was.  I really meant to cite BiggerFish, but blahhhhh.. I am tired. So very tired.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122276 on: May 22, 2017, 03:12:50 am »

I am just really exhausted after all the funeral things. Be thankful that my schpeel was as cogent as it was.  I really meant to cite BiggerFish, but blahhhhh.. I am tired. So very tired.
That's completely natural, and normal. Doing all the things that need doing before a funeral puts your body in some kind of survival mode, ignoring tiredness and sadness and all that. Now that that's all behind you, listen to your body, and give it some extra love and care, including extra sleep if need be. Treat yourself to a sauna, or whatever else works well on the give yourself a relaxing treat department.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122277 on: May 22, 2017, 06:19:44 am »

I genuinely cannot tell if this guy is crazy, or if Shakespeare actually put secret coordinates in the Sonnets.

I can dismiss everything about this as mathematical or literary convergence...except for those coordinates. What. The. Fuck.

This is not the shit I needed to learn about while in the middle of reading Unsong.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:21:15 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #122278 on: May 22, 2017, 06:20:56 am »

I'm an artist offering commissions. O_o Mainly because circumstances forced my hand, but if you'd told me I would be one five years ago I would never have believed you. Feels weird, man.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122279 on: May 22, 2017, 06:46:56 am »

I'm an artist offering commissions. O_o Mainly because circumstances forced my hand, but if you'd told me I would be one five years ago I would never have believed you. Feels weird, man.

Are you offering discount or full priced commissions?

Because if you actually charge the full price then I am impressed!
Pages: 1 ... 8150 8151 [8152] 8153 8154 ... 10983