Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8154 8155 [8156] 8157 8158 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196612 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122325 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:54 am »

The sort of thing I'm looking for is similar to a war strategy and tactics analysis, where you have state space, actions which your agents could take in it, and a certain problem you need to solve using those agents, and a result would be a description of a plan of actions, possibly conditional in case of uncertainty, that would have a near-optimal chances of solving the problem.

Look up Eurisko, Sergarr, it was the project Cyc was based on

http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/eurisko-computer-mind-its-own

It does exactly what you just said you wanted (well, it takes a book worth of ship design costs and game rules, then comes up with rulesets which describe heuristics for ship design, tests them out, then rates the heuristics based on which ones lead to the best outcomes)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:54:46 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122326 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:39 am »

Yeah... Let me check my prices just to give you an idea of how much I earn...

I believe I earn 15 dollars for a 30 minute session. 50 dollars for an entire sound file. 15 dollars is a steal and 50 dollars is also low price for custom files.

A professional hypnotist will earn 100-200 dollars a session.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:56:01 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122327 on: May 23, 2017, 12:58:47 am »

Maybe you should violate professional ethics, and plant a suggestion that they should pay you more? ;)

Oh-- or spread grass-roots advertising for you!

LOL, JK

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122328 on: May 23, 2017, 01:03:31 am »

wasn't LSP's personal text literally "all hail the fuhrer", except in German?  Dude was shitposting a lot, antagonistically even.  Maybe he should have listened to the warnings.
A friend and I were making fun of my post history, and we came across this, and I'd like to make a formal apology.  LSP was pretty cool, and I'm sorry he got banned for kidding around.
):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122329 on: May 23, 2017, 01:09:15 am »

Maybe you should violate professional ethics, and plant a suggestion that they should pay you more? ;)

LOL, JK

He should start a 12-step group if he wants to do that, much easier than hypnosis.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #122330 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:40 am »

The sort of thing I'm looking for is similar to a war strategy and tactics analysis, where you have state space, actions which your agents could take in it, and a certain problem you need to solve using those agents, and a result would be a description of a plan of actions, possibly conditional in case of uncertainty, that would have a near-optimal chances of solving the problem.

Look up Eurisko, Sergarr, it was the project Cyc was based on

http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/eurisko-computer-mind-its-own

It does exactly what you just said you wanted (well, it takes a book worth of ship design costs and game rules, then comes up with rulesets which describe heuristics for ship design, tests them out, then rates the heuristics based on which ones lead to the best outcomes)
That thing is pretty interesting, yes, but the conspicuous lack of anything similar being used for any further AI programs is rather weird. I did try to actually find out any concrete details on its operations in the past, and failed.

I mean, it does sound very promising to me, but, well, it's described very vaguely, unlike basically every other method in AI field. From the description, it sounds like reinforcement learning with guiding rules instead of Q-function, but how does it actually operate on the inside? I don't know. I can't know, because there's no actual algorithmic description of Eurisko anywhere I could find.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122331 on: May 23, 2017, 01:48:34 am »

LOL, JK

He should start a 12-step group if he wants to do that, much easier than hypnosis.

It is unfortunately not a unheard of thing in recreational hypnosis (that is the type of hypnosis I practice) yet I do not do that. It is kind of abhorrent to do it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #122332 on: May 23, 2017, 01:57:46 am »

LOL, JK

It is unfortunately not a unheard of thing in recreational hypnosis (that is the type of hypnosis I practice) yet I do not do that. It is kind of abhorrent to do it.
Indeed, and I commend you for your ethics. 12 step groups are abhorrent.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122333 on: May 23, 2017, 02:03:36 am »

We admitted we were powerless over Armok—that our lives had become unmanageable.
    Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves (Armok) could restore us to sanity.
    Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Armok as we understood Him.
    Made a searching and fearless inventory of ourselves (pickaxe, rope-reed socks, jug of plump helmet wine).
    Admitted to Armok, to ourselves, and to another sentient humanoid the exact nature of our wrongs.
    Were entirely ready to have Armok remove all these defects of character.
    Humbly asked Armok to remove our shortcomings.
    Made a list of all kittens and nobles we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    Made direct amends to such kittens and nobles wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with Armok as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other fortresses and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122334 on: May 23, 2017, 02:06:17 am »

Sounds like an Elven diplomat, just replace Armok with "Magic Nature Deity!" instead....
Maybe that's why I hate DF elves so much?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122335 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:40 am »

A friend's older brother was alcoholic in AA when I was younger, I met him and he was like a maniac screaming bible verses, and prone to binge drinking.

This was a long time before I'd read the criticisms of AA however, but I put 2 and 2 together later on. The religious aspect is clear but a whole bunch of their "logic" leads to more binge drinking behavior:

- their metric for success: days since your last drink, instead of how many drinks you had. 1 drink is held to be as bad as 100
- they tell you that once you slip the Devil Drink will get you and you can't help but slide into a relapse/binge.
- they devalue personal responsibility and willpower, instead telling you to put all faith in a "higher power" to prevent you drinking, but only on a daily basis, through prayer. If you slip then you musn't have prayed hard enough that day, so the devil got you.

All of these add up to AA-treated people binge drinkng about 5 times more than people who never got treatment (control group in studies), and about 9 times more than those refered to professional drug and alcohol counselors.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:13:04 am by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #122336 on: May 23, 2017, 07:44:19 am »

That is an absolutely crap system. Mixing religion with practical institutes rarely works well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #122337 on: May 23, 2017, 08:05:08 am »

[...] alcoholic in AA [...]
Query from around the world! :O
Is the quality of AA dependent on the state in question? Because we've come across this in one of our subjects (Cross cultural counseling) and topics of alcoholism and otherwise are brought up alongside present-day organizations and the like made for them, and AA was brought up by some of my classmates.

So...given all I've heard about it thus far (it's already finished in the past so this is moreso my present query), how subjective is the lack of efficiency?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122338 on: May 23, 2017, 08:14:17 am »

Query from around the world! :O
Is the quality of AA dependent on the state in question? Because we've come across this in one of our subjects (Cross cultural counseling) and topics of alcoholism and otherwise are brought up alongside present-day organizations and the like made for them, and AA was brought up by some of my classmates.

So...given all I've heard about it thus far (it's already finished in the past so this is moreso my present query), how subjective is the lack of efficiency?

The thing about AA, if I recall correctly, is that they have a reasonably high reported success rate - however, this rate is taken from among people who managed to stick with the program, which are a minority of people who get into AA to begin with. So the success rates are overreported in comparison with the failures, which helps disguise the more accurate observation that AA simply doesn't work for most people or, as in the example mentioned, is actively harmful for the participants.

The flaws of it become more apparent when you see them try to adapt the 12-step program to something like being abused, where they ask you to both admit that you're powerless and to say that you've done something wrong in the process of being abused, which makes it go from merely dubious to outright morally reprehensible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #122339 on: May 23, 2017, 08:19:17 am »

So...in general then? :O
Moreso curious because I made commentary on the efficiency of the AA after the group had finished their report (with an okay from the instructor), denoting that given the current report and details within, it was leaning negative.
And at that time I had doubts thereafter, in tiny bits occasionally because I worried 'what if I missed something'.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:33:08 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 8154 8155 [8156] 8157 8158 ... 10984