Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8160 8161 [8162] 8163 8164 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995366 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122415 on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »

I googled "Pi is 4" and it turns out the guy with the article in Nexus is a long-term anti-Pi-ist.

http://milesmathis.com/pi2.html

Basically his argument is that Pi is 4 if you roll a circle along the ground, and measure how far a specific point on the circle moved in a single rotation (it moves in an arc). And he calls the use of 3.14 Pi a "cover up". :)

Nevermind that if you took the arc from his maths and tried to make a circle it would be a bigger circle than before, which you could then inflate to infinity :P
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:25:35 pm by Reelya »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #122416 on: May 25, 2017, 06:27:15 pm »

A long time ago on my laptop I got an extension for Google Chrome which would superimpose Shia Labeouf saying "JUST! DO IT!" onto the webpage whenever I pressed the button. Today, I turned it on and Chrome was ridden with adware. After some research I found out that this particular adware was notorious for bundling itself with various shady products, except I had no idea what it was since I hadn't downloaded any program at all in months. After a while of searching for the source, it turns out Shia Labeouf had updated himself to include the newest hippest adware.

thanks donald

NINJAEDIT: Also how the fuck does time affect an arc of a circle unless we're taking erosion into account?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122417 on: May 25, 2017, 06:40:06 pm »

He rolls a circle along the ground. You take the point touching the ground, then roll the circle until it's touching the ground again.

The mathematical "Conspirators" would have you believe that you measure how far the circle rolled along the ground, and that's the circumference.

But he knows better: you pick the starting point and see how far that actual point traveled (a shape similar to a parabola basically). And he calls that the true "kinetic" circumference. Which your evil masters don't want you to know about.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122418 on: May 25, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »

but ...  what applications would that have?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122419 on: May 25, 2017, 06:42:31 pm »

but ...  what applications would that have?
TRUTH and FREEDOM.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122420 on: May 25, 2017, 06:45:12 pm »

He rolls a circle along the ground. You take the point touching the ground, then roll the circle until it's touching the ground again.

The mathematical "Conspirators" would have you believe that you measure how far the circle rolled along the ground, and that's the circumference.

But he knows better: you pick the starting point and see how far that actual point traveled (a shape similar to a parabola basically). And he calls that the true "kinetic" circumference. Which your evil masters don't want you to know about.
but what about pi? is it a conspiracy by big diameter?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122421 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50:40 pm »

... actually I think I know how he gets "pi = 4" and it's even dumber than that.

When you have two motions, and you want to work out how far a point traveled, you add the motions together.

In rolling, the circle is rotating once, and also moving by the circumference length.

1 rotation is 2Pi. Moving along the ground by the circumference length is also 2Pi.

Therefore you moved 4Pi. Which proves Pi = 4!

Yeah that was probably completely wrong btw, but it was more right than what he writes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:53:07 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122422 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:54 pm »

I googled "Pi is 4" and it turns out the guy with the article in Nexus is a long-term anti-Pi-ist.
What a boring soul.
He contributes to a magazine like freaking Nexus and the most interesting topic he can come up with is math!?

But yeah, I don't disbelieve in the power of crystals (nor do I necessarily believe in it, I have not investigated myself or seen any evidence either way-- using them to heal your computer seems dumb as shit, though) but if something as mild as that has y'all WTFing like mad, some of the stuff in Nexus magazine should be a real hoot from what I remember.
Now I actually kind of want to pick up an issue and see what bizarre things they're going on about these days... wonder if anywhere sells it around here.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122423 on: May 25, 2017, 06:52:36 pm »

Are you talking about displacement?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122424 on: May 25, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »

@Yoink. It's actually more WTF worthy when people question basically common sense things.

e.g. a Nexus article about the Earth being hollow and their being a saurian world down there is less WTF than the Pi thing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122425 on: May 25, 2017, 06:55:57 pm »

...Wait, WHAT.
Nexus's head office is apparently in Maleny. I used to live there. Why am I not surprised? This is hilarious.
I probably knew some of the oddballs who put the magazine together in the first place, I just never realised. Maybe I even unwittingly offended some of them by laughing at the stuff in their publication, who knows.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122426 on: May 25, 2017, 07:03:52 pm »

"Shop address is 4/10 Coral St, Maleny (behind Maleny Auto Spares)".

Must be a focal point of many ley-lines.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122427 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:20 pm »

@Yoink. It's actually more WTF worthy when people question basically common sense things.

e.g. a Nexus article about the Earth being hollow and their being a saurian world down there is less WTF than the Pi thing.

Sounds like they took "Journey to the center of the Earth" too seriously.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122428 on: May 25, 2017, 11:52:48 pm »

Booze is Life for Yoink

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122429 on: May 25, 2017, 11:56:02 pm »

Yoink, I have a very serious question I need to ask you.

Are you Weird Al Yankovic's son?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 8160 8161 [8162] 8163 8164 ... 10973