Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8161 8162 [8163] 8164 8165 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13148467 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122430 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:42 am »

I don't think so, but perhaps by the time I finish this magazine I will have come to Accept the Underlying Truth that we are all, in fact, the Children of Weird Al Yankovic, the Cosmic Father of the Universe and all it contains. All so-called Facts should be viewed as suspect according to Enlightened Literature.   

Two pages in and they're already going on about Wikileaks and UFO research. By page five some British guy has debunked quantum dynamics, special relativity and the Big Bang as a bunch of hoaxes- although he isn't an actual contributor but merely the author of a letter, so perhaps that doesn't count as actual content.

I can almost feel the ambient background radiation massaging my brain already just after a few pages, my consciousness is expanding at an alarming rate. Perhaps those so-called crazies aren't wearing their tinfoil hats to keep mind-control rays out-- they wear them to contain the ever-growing power of their Enlightened Minds, lest they expand to begin consuming all thought around them like an out-of-control, high-level Illithid?!

On a related note, the ad on the back cover seems like it would greatly appeal to Chuck McGill. For just $359 you can shield three square metres of your home from electromotive force, the "stressful environmental frequencies emitted from electrical devices, including mobile phones" and that apparently can cause anything from debilitating nerve pain, emotional instability and sleeplessness to addictive tendencies, poor complexion and infertility.
Well, the last one is pretty believable, I guess. :P   

Edit: What.
In 2015, the researchers produced their first cyborg rose by filling its veins with a conductive polymer solution and having it weave the material into its living tissue.

...I think this magazine is going to be money well-spent in terms of entertainment value.   

Edit 2: Apparently both Curt Cobain and Tupac were, in fact, killed by the CIA.
I don't think I can take in any more of this right now, my sides have already long since departed on their grand, mystical voyage through the cosmos.   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:40:25 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122431 on: May 26, 2017, 01:58:50 am »

I've noticed these conspiracy types in the past like to reject complex values and assert that universal constants are actually nice round numbers. e.g. NZ UFO nut Bruce Cathie held that the speed of light was 122 (144). 144 of what exactly, he never said.

To be fair, it's certainly 144 of something  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122432 on: May 26, 2017, 02:27:31 am »

In 2015, the researchers produced their first cyborg rose by filling its veins with a conductive polymer solution and having it weave the material into its living tissue.

...I think this magazine is going to be money well-spent in terms of entertainment value.     

That makes me think of plants being turned into shining metal sculptures of themselves. Either that or pumpkins with Borg doodads on them. "We are the Gourd. Resistance is fertile. You will be cultivated."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:20:32 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122433 on: May 26, 2017, 03:11:38 am »

Just went outside to put something in the trashbin. Encountered a big fat brown squirrel feasting on a garbage bag someone left out on the streets.
It then proceeded to climb up a tree, only to be attacked and chased off by 3 jackdaws. I guess there's 2 jackdaw nests up in that tree, and they were not going to let mr. eggthief get anywhere near.

The wtf is that squirrels are pretty darn rare in the Netherlands, or at least over where I live. Normally you're really lucky if you can spot one in a forest park somewhere outside the city. But here it was, in the middle of the city, looking fat and healthy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122434 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:57 am »

They said Nexus Magazine was bullshit, but look, it outlived all those technocracy "computer magazines". So who's laughing now?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122435 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:22 am »

That makes me think of plants being turned into shining metal sculptures of themselves. Either that or pumpkins with Borg doodads on them. "We are the Gourd. Resistance is fertile. You will be cultivated."

Actually the cyber roses things checks out:

http://www.sciencealert.com/this-cyborg-rose-grows-electronic-circulatory-inside-its-stem-and-leaves
Scientists have figured out how to inject a conducting solution into a rose cutting, and have it spontaneously form wires throughout its stem, leaves, and petals to create fully functioning supercapacitors for energy storage.

The so-called e-Plant was able to be charged hundreds of times without any loss on the performance, and the team behind the invention says it could allow us to one day create fuel cells or autonomous energy systems inside living plants.

Basically they made a plant into an organic battery.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122436 on: May 26, 2017, 05:33:33 am »

I wonder if that could be a cheaper or more ecological method of solar power generation.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #122437 on: May 26, 2017, 05:37:12 am »

If you think about it, fossil fuel is just really slow and inefficient solar energy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122438 on: May 26, 2017, 05:39:58 am »

That's pretty neat. So planting forests with the intent of using them as batteries or instead of powerlines? If they get it working with living plants maybe they could get it to work with photosynthesis. There's those houses with living walls of vines and grass roofs.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122439 on: May 26, 2017, 06:04:03 am »

Heh, the historical Concertgebouw (Concert building) in Amsterdam had to shutdown a techno event early, because the ceiling's ornaments were at risk of collapsing.

The set by DJs Job Jobse and Dixon was supposed to go on until 3am, but at 1am the concert organisation Audio Obscura decided to pull the plug when they noticed ornaments about to come loose.
The Concertgebouw management is now investigating whether the loud music caused it, or that the old historical ornaments have more structural problems due to old age.

Must have been some loud techno, that.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122440 on: May 26, 2017, 07:19:35 am »

I've noticed these conspiracy types in the past like to reject complex values and assert that universal constants are actually nice round numbers. e.g. NZ UFO nut Bruce Cathie held that the speed of light was 122 (144). 144 of what exactly, he never said.

To be fair, it's certainly 144 of something  :P

I pulled up a reference so you can follow their maths logic:

https://web.facebook.com/jainmathemagics/posts/356674767851596:0?_rdc=1&_rdr

“Harmonic 144 is the Speed Of Light”

Visualize the Circle being divided into 360 degrees.

Similarly, mathematicians like Bruce Cathie, mapped the Earth Grid, and observed that the most intelligent way to map 3-dimensional spheres is in Base 60 (our ancient Babylonian heritage, who first invented the Zero or Decimal Place System).

This means, just like the circle of 360 degrees, we can divide each of the 24 Earth hours into 60 minutes, and then divide each minute into seconds, giving 1 Earth Revolution of 24 x 60 x 60 = 86,400 seconds of grid arc.

So using this as our yardstick for measurement, it turns out that the Speed of Light in free space, in geometric terms, has an angular velocity of 144,000 minutes of arc per grid second.
In Harmonics, we drop all zeroes and all decimal points and simplify 144,000 to Harmonic 144.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:28:47 am by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #122441 on: May 26, 2017, 07:33:00 am »

why do conspiracy nuts always put so much focus on earth

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122442 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:46 am »

Better than that, i've read Bruce Cathie's book where he came up with the 144 number. (It was lent to me at college by a girl who was a "true believer" in all this stuff, and a big pusher of the Tesla conspiracy that they could give away "free electricity" to everyone with Tesla coils, but they're suppressing that so you have to pay.)

Part of his 144-speed-of-light reasoning was to take two locations of UFO sightings. He then measured the distance between them based on a 360-degree circle. Then he discarded the whole-number part and used just the fractional part in his further calculations. And at the end, he was left with 144,000. And as the link above says, at this stage they divide by powers of 10 and throw away any fractional part. See how consistent it all is? It all makes sense now!

But ... since they said base-60 was special they should factor down 144000 by base 60, leaving harmonic 40 as the result.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:43:45 am by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122443 on: May 26, 2017, 09:42:05 am »

Bruce Cathie called this 24 Hour partitioning of the Full Day as Earth Time, and revealed to the world that there exists another Cosmic Time of 27 Hours in a day, which changes all the calculations, but this 27 hr day was the secret knowledge that allowed the precision necessary for dropping nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (meaning that there is no such thing as Nuclear Attack or Threat, because mathematicians world wide could therefore predict when the next possible bombing could happen according to the trigonometry of the midday sun and the geometric nodal position of the city to be bombed).

You missed the best bit.

Anyway, I looked up Miles Mathis a bit. It seems that most of his theories (apart from those involving the Jewish heritages of figures including Adolf Hitler) stem from the fact that he didn't understand the whole d->0 bit in calculus intuitively, and never has since. He thinks the universe is like a computer program, as far as I can tell, in that space is not infinitely divisible, and that the change in a graph implies time. It's a little sad, to be honest, he's clearly extremely clever and articulate in some ways.

Quote from: milesmathis.com/index.html
I publish here a more recent email from a mainstream researcher, showing that not only am I being read by real physicists in the field...
Comes across as a little desperate.

Reading his stuff is like junk food. You know that it has nothing good in it, you should stop, and that it isn't even that rewarding... but you don't stop.

Good thing we didn't need planes to actually fly in World War 2.

The fallacy of the squaring of the circle has been in thinking of natural or rational numbers as definite, and thinking of irrational or transcendental numbers as indefinite. What I mean by this is that it is falsely assumed that a line on a piece of paper with the length 1 has a definite and precise length where a line with a length of π does not. The truth is that they both have definite and precise lengths mathematically, and they both have indefinite and imprecise lengths physically or in real measurement.
He thinks construction means you literally have a straight edge and a compass in front of you. I do wonder if he is trolling. He finds the basic principles of theoretical construction illogical because the idea of a perfect line is so odd. He ends up saying that if you insist upon squaring the circle theoretically, you might as well theorise that you can contruct pi, because that's just as odd as the idea of constructing a circle.
To imagine an abstract perfect line, you first imagine a real line, then you make it thinner, then thinner. Then you exhaust thinness. Constructing π in your head is no different. You create some routine with your compass and then exhaust that routine.*
Yeah. This guy needs to go read the Peano axioms and get everything veeeery clear in his head.
One wheel short of a wagon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #122444 on: May 26, 2017, 10:49:25 am »

why do conspiracy nuts always put so much focus on earth

A subconscious need to prove how down to earth they are?

Or perhaps it's a conspiracy to create so many conspiracy theories about the earth that it obfuscated what really goes on beneath our feet.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8161 8162 [8163] 8164 8165 ... 10980