Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8174 8175 [8176] 8177 8178 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13168139 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122625 on: May 31, 2017, 10:09:42 am »

Orson Scott Card's been that way for ages. I'm honestly hoping he dies fast so that I can actually read his books without supporting him.

What of his would you want to read? I'll admit I've only read Ender's Game, but that was pretty shit to be honest. Although that was a while ago so I should probably reread it, matured tastes and such.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #122626 on: May 31, 2017, 10:11:28 am »

Oh, please. "He's smart but he's stupid."

No. He's religious, and is building what he deems as a rational argument in favour of his religious conviction. I'm no believer myself, but I can understand that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #122627 on: May 31, 2017, 10:18:52 am »

Wait, what? Weren't you catholic or something? Why am I getting you mixed up with Orange Wizard even after OW is gone? Are you actually OW's alt? I need to update my dossier kill list words profile database.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122628 on: May 31, 2017, 10:21:17 am »

Ahahaha, no. I'm vehemently an atheist.

And were I to have followed religion, it would be as a Protestant (primarily as a result of upbringing.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:29:21 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122629 on: May 31, 2017, 10:46:52 am »

OSC's stuff is kind of meh tbh, and I'm specially critical of pwople who say he's on the level of harlan elisson and the like.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122630 on: May 31, 2017, 10:55:03 am »

No. He's religious, and is building what he deems as a rational argument in favour of his religious conviction. I'm no believer myself, but I can understand that.

Well, so am I. However, I have never understood why the aversion to homosexuals jiggery-pokery gets to have so much space for itself. It seems quite irrelevant, all together. The third book of Moses does lay down the law quite heavily against it, but it is part of a quite dire list. I do not understand it, why do the lobster-eaters and the prawn-fishers get off the hook? Is the struggle against homosexuality supposed to be some sort of compensation for abandoning the other rules, as it were?
Of course, those are matters of religion, where I am hopelessly lost. I do not, and likely never will, understand why some people invest time and energy to repress or complain about homosexuals for the glory of God. It seems so dreadfully pointless. But perhaps that is simply it, it has become an activity for its own sake. Something concrete to do, something to whip oneself up into anger and indignation about, something to be in a struggle against. Quite possibly because it is difficult to truly feel like a relevant part of something far greater than oneself by simply going through an ordinary life as a good Christian. It is far easier to feel involved in creation when part of an imaginary battle with the Forces of Sodomy©. And frankly, I think that they are cheating.

I maintain that I am right that there is no greater place for stupidity than a clever mind that has allowed itself to be lazy. However, there is undoubtedly a religious aspect in this, one that is even more unbecoming of both himself and his faith, or at least that is my perception.

Speaking of unbecoming, I have always wondered what could be the matter with all those more radical and militant free churches that put their opposition to homosexuals front and centre. It is as if they are obsessed! They shout over it, talk about it, think about it... And good Lord, making something you do not like a great part of your life is not something anyone ought to do to themselves.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122631 on: May 31, 2017, 11:00:46 am »

I won't claim to have the answers, but I've always assumed it was because of the pervasive challenge and offence it presents. Attempting to change marriage, making it possible to have gay priests, your child could be one. It works on two levels. It is a social and religious taboo, but it directly links to and attacks the Christian system in particular.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122632 on: May 31, 2017, 11:13:36 am »

Tell boss about my arm. Told I still need to work regardless. That tbe arm will get better faster if I work with it.

I want to go home. I've had a shit-ton of Tylenol, but it isn't helping.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122633 on: May 31, 2017, 11:23:31 am »

I won't claim to have the answers, but I've always assumed it was because of the pervasive challenge and offence it presents. Attempting to change marriage, making it possible to have gay priests, your child could be one. It works on two levels. It is a social and religious taboo, but it directly links to and attacks the Christian system in particular.

I suppose. It is an odd state of mind, though. It is not a particularly big affair, one would think. It is a very strange taboo, and I do hope that it keeps cracking, for far too many people are spending far too much energy working themselves up over it. Not to mention, someone ought to remind them that there are more to Christianity than merely stating what-goes-where, as it were. Or jolly well should be.

Tell boss about my arm. Told I still need to work regardless. That tbe arm will get better faster if I work with it.

I want to go home. I've had a shit-ton of Tylenol, but it isn't helping.

That man is, without a doubt, talking out of his arse. It is terribly unlikely that it is true, and it will not be for his knowledge if it were. Do be careful with your arm, and do not hesitate to use every little bit of wiggle-room to get off early, or better yet stay at home and get the arm seen to.
Making an injury or illness worse by demanding work be done in spite of it will just lead to more production lost, as a competent boss would understand. I do hope you get better soon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122634 on: May 31, 2017, 11:27:43 am »

PFT!!!

So I was looking at rabbits on google I come across a site talking about how they get Agora rabbit fur and that they do it basically by ripping it out!

QUE next picture from someone else entirely! and they managed it... through basic grooming (Combing it)

Then another showed how little you actually had to shave off a Angora Rabbit to get the money from it, THEN showed how much you would have to shave if you wanted ALL of the money making fur... of which it looked like a normal rabbit.

Essentially "Torturing Angora Rabbits for their fur" is more of a factory farm thing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #122635 on: May 31, 2017, 11:30:40 am »

I want to make a cat hair pillow.

Is that wrong?  I mean, Im pretty sure I could make one out of my own hair with enough patience.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122636 on: May 31, 2017, 11:32:13 am »

Making an injury or illness worse by demanding work be done in spite of it will just lead to more production lost, as a competent boss would understand. I do hope you get better soon.

When a part starts to wear out an a machine, most managers won't let maintenance shut it down to swap it out - they wait until it fails completely and then grudgingly allow a replacement. A great many companies view their employees in exactly the same light - a sea of identical replacement parts to be used until the break and swapped out. This is one of the reasons why temp services stay in business, and why automated systems are popular even when they are objectively worse than a decent human operator.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #122637 on: May 31, 2017, 11:43:46 am »

It is simply the nature of things. The more clever and intelligent a chap is, the more servere are the depths of stupidity that he can reach.

I do not know who he is. I have not read his works (a brief information trawl reveals that they might be a bit over my head), and I cannot claim that I am particularly enticed to do so, not at a glance. Thus, I cannot say much regarding his intelligence. It is greater than mine, but that does not prove anything. However, he is certainly a man of some faculties, and thus a very easy victim for that strange laziness that can affect a clever mind, and make it impossibly stupid in its operation when handling certain tasks.

Hm. I have heard of this before; a smarter person can just fool themselves that much better. Now, where did I...

Quote from: Harry James Potter Evans Verres
My father could probably outsmart me if he was, you know, actually trying, instead of using his adult intelligence mainly to come up with new reasons not to change his mind.

What he deems as a rational argument. Not an actually rational argument. "Fifteen-year-olds do it, so it's immature, so it's bad, so we shouldn't let adults do it" is not a rational argument.

@DL: Why the fuck are you bringing that topic in here?
I'd rather not have to avoid the WTF thread for the duration of such a derail. My hearing is bad enough without being deafened by the resulting echoes.   

It was rather "wtf," that is why. You see a smart person, and then they start ranting about aliens, or 9/11, or the moon landing, or the sodomites who are going to tear apart the fabric of society. You go "WTF?"

But I can stop. I will just edit all of my responses to be above the statement "I will stop." :P
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:51:21 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122638 on: May 31, 2017, 11:45:09 am »

Essentially "Torturing Angora Rabbits for their fur" is more of a factory farm thing.

Okay, in a bit of context to that, Torturing Angora Rabbits for their for is more of a bad Chinese factory farm thing.

The hair yank method is used to get the longest possible hair strand, and thus the most valuable product. If you're China, that means you rip it out by brute force alone. However Chinese Angoras are knock-offs, with a high bristle count in their fur and poor quality as a result of being optimized for growth.

German and French Angora rabbits, by contrast, are given what is essentially rabbit Nair prior to the plucking process- a depilatory that prevents that lets you get hair out painlessly. They also have a much lower bristle count, if slightly inferior gross production.

So, basically, the worst of the shit that you see is Chinese. No offense to our Chinese members, but they don't exactly have the best animal cruelty standards in the world. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122639 on: May 31, 2017, 12:54:57 pm »

I'm home now. Which is good, since any more Tylenol and I'd probably start vomiting.

Everyone's freaking out now though. My dad in particular is bad for being worried. Probably where my anxiety comes from.

I'm being asked if I broke or dislocated my arm, or if I need to go to the ER. I think I'd know if the arm was broken.

I just don't know why it hurts.
Pages: 1 ... 8174 8175 [8176] 8177 8178 ... 10983