Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8179 8180 [8181] 8182 8183 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189561 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122700 on: June 01, 2017, 01:48:45 pm »

6 Eurobucks' tip for a 14 dollar pizza is ludicrous.

I'd be half tempted to tell him he had better get change if he wanted me to have pizza.  Its his responsibility to have change, even if he has to get a till from his restaurant like he was a cashier.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122701 on: June 01, 2017, 01:55:41 pm »

I thought of an Myst-like OS/2 adventure game by Stardock Systems which I helped beta test (though I don't think it ever finished).  It was notable for having several NPCs who wandered the mansion independently from you, theoretically also trying to solve the murder (but one of them *was* the murderer!).  You could attack and kill them with some of the items but that likely rendered the game unwinnable 9 times out of 10.  It also had a nice library with a bunch of Project Gutenberg books you could browse through, which is the main reason I remember it.

Yeah, after all this time, that's what I associate with "Avarice".  Memory is weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122702 on: June 01, 2017, 02:02:16 pm »

In the US, I'd suspect that the delivery driver was trying to scam a larger tip (hoping that I'd react to "I don't have change for this" with "just keep the change" or "just give me whatever change you have") out of me, and file a complaint with the store. I don't know if that's likely where you are, since I don't know your tipping culture.

He did try something along the line of offering me a ticket for reduced price next time I order.
But no, that scam thing is not common at all here. I'm not sure what to think of this one though. I've ordered from the place before, it's one of the last remaining authentic Italian pizzerias in town (the rest all server either the Americanized pizza dough, YUCK, or the dürum like dough in pizza shape the Turks and Moroccans make, not as YUCK as the American dough, but still not the real thing), and I've not had any issues with them in the past. But this was a new delivery guy. He wasn't Italian either.
I hope the restaurant is still Italian, and that it hasn't succumbed to being bought out by Moroccans or Turks, like the vast majority of pizzerias and snackbars in my city. I mean, I like kebab, but I wish they'd leave making pizza to the Italians.
Both Dutch Moroccans and Turks have integrated very well. They're true gifted Dutch entrepreneurs. Buying out restaurants and pubs seems to be working very well for them. I guess it makes sense. It can't be denied that there is discrimination on the labour market against Turks and Moroccans. By buying and running their own businesses, they can be free of that, and horeca business tend to change ownership a lot compared to say, shoe stores or supermarkets, making those a logical pick.

EDIT: As for tipping culture. Dutch are amongst the worst tippers in the world, and infamous for it. Where in a lot of countries a 10% tip is common, or even included in the price, a lot of Dutch people will not tip at all. I tend to give the pizza courier 1 euro. Admittedly less than 10% of total price but for Dutch standards, pretty normal, and I am to say euphemistally, not rich myself.
A lot of Dutch people will be scroogy enough to only tip if the delivery was made exceptionally fast.
Then again 1 euro isn't bad from the courier's perspective either. Maybe he gets paid 8 or 9 euros per hour. If he makes 50 trips in 8h, and they all give him 1 euro, he has earned about 6h extra pay, under the table, tax free.

Considering most couriers are highschool students / college students, I should consider tipping less, since they'll just spend it on booze and drugs anyways. </grumpy_old_man>
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:15:42 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122703 on: June 01, 2017, 02:53:42 pm »

Maybe it's just that my router's been glitchy for a year now, but streaming Steam games was pretty rough when I tried it (over LAN).  Even Crusader Kings 2 was fairly laggy, with occasional hiccups of several seconds.

As for tipping, getting served by a waiter has always felt a little weird to me.  Judging them monetarily more so.  But they're often paid less than minimum wage in the USA because tipping is so expected, and the mental math for 15% can be a little fun.  Mostly I just don't eat out much.  And on the, like, couple occasions *ever* that I've had service so lazy or disrespectful it bothered even me, no tip.  So I guess that's working as intended.

One time a family member was really rude to a waiter for something that really wasn't their fault, he was in a bad mood and basically muttered his order.  In a Chinatown.  Then got aggressively sarcastic when part of it was wrong.  I left some extra tip that hopefully helped.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #122704 on: June 01, 2017, 03:23:31 pm »

I've been burping and farting a lot more frequently than normal this year.

I have no idea why.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122705 on: June 01, 2017, 03:25:13 pm »

Could be a bug or dietary changes or hundreds of other reasons.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #122706 on: June 01, 2017, 03:43:35 pm »

I've been burping and farting a lot more frequently than normal this year.

I have no idea why.
Do you feel bloated?  I've had digestion problems for a while (clearing up thank god, still don't know what the actual problem was) and eating certain things or eating too quickly would cause my stomach to fill up with gas.  Farting and burping was just a side effect of the main problem.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122707 on: June 01, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »

Tipping doesn't really exist in Finland, but the thought of tipping a pizza delivery person seems particularily ridiculous to me. They're just delivering it, not doing any waiter stuff, are they?

Kurds and Turks dominate the pizza scene here too. It's an interesting niche they've found. My local place is great for drunk pizza, when the mediocre quality becomes irrelevant.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122708 on: June 01, 2017, 03:57:34 pm »

Tipping doesn't really exist in Finland, but the thought of tipping a pizza delivery person seems particularily ridiculous to me. They're just delivering it, not doing any waiter stuff, are they?

Kurds and Turks dominate the pizza scene here too. It's an interesting niche they've found. My local place is great for drunk pizza, when the mediocre quality becomes irrelevant.

Here (Oklahoma) the tip for a driver is minimal most of the year. However, if you order pizza because the weather is utter shite, it's considered polite to tip a decent amount (20% or so) to compensate the driver going through the Ice/Driving Rain/Hail/Tornado to deliver you a pizza.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #122709 on: June 01, 2017, 03:59:01 pm »

Pizza guy's job is to serve you in a timely manner, just like a waiter, except a waiter doesn't have to drive through traffic and weather to bring your food to you.

Here (Oklahoma) the tip for a driver is minimal most of the year. However, if you order pizza because the weather is utter shite, it's considered polite to tip a decent amount (20% or so) to compensate the driver going through the Ice/Driving Rain/Hail/Tornado to deliver you a pizza.
For some reason I assumed you were European.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:01:30 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122710 on: June 01, 2017, 04:02:43 pm »

If the Pizza Delivery men would remember to DELIVER MY FREEKEN DIPS!!! Maybe they would deserve the tips I give them.

I know I never use them... but everyone wants them and they always forget them...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122711 on: June 01, 2017, 04:10:36 pm »

For some reason I assumed you were European.

Most people do (which has occasionally been WTF in and of itself), and at this point in America's illustrious history I take it as a compliment. I think it comes from being a military brat whose accent and speech mannerisms were decided more by copying Monty Python voices than by the various states which I got trucked through.

I probably owe a great deal of my personality to heavy-weight exposure to the Pythons during my formative years... When stressed, I will rotate through accents and dialects without consciously realizing it, which has probably given more than a few other people WTF moments of their own.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #122712 on: June 01, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »

In America pizza places are not legally required to comp for gas and other expenses.  Pizza delivery guys (like most guys nowadays unfortunately) are also very bottom rung and don't get paid shit.  If you don't get tips as a pizza guy I believe you can end up working for below minimum wage effectively.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #122713 on: June 01, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »

Obligatory Reservoir Dogs tipping scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122714 on: June 01, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »

In America pizza places are not legally required to comp for gas and other expenses.  Pizza delivery guys (like most guys nowadays unfortunately) are also very bottom rung and don't get paid shit.  If you don't get tips as a pizza guy I believe you can end up working for below minimum wage effectively.

Pizza delivery is also potentially very dangerous - a lot of the work is done at night, and even ignoring crime there's a high risk of getting into a serious accident due to poor visibility or drunks on the road. In many neighborhoods you run the risk of somebody knocking you over the head when you knock on their door or otherwise forcibly robbing you. That deserves a bit of compensation.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 8179 8180 [8181] 8182 8183 ... 10983