Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8180 8181 [8182] 8183 8184 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188548 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122715 on: June 01, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »

I hear theirs an alarming amount of nudity as well.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122716 on: June 01, 2017, 05:27:34 pm »

For some reason I assumed you were European.

Most people do (which has occasionally been WTF in and of itself), and at this point in America's illustrious history I take it as a compliment. I think it comes from being a military brat whose accent and speech mannerisms were decided more by copying Monty Python voices than by the various states which I got trucked through.

I probably owe a great deal of my personality to heavy-weight exposure to the Pythons during my formative years... When stressed, I will rotate through accents and dialects without consciously realizing it, which has probably given more than a few other people WTF moments of their own.

Such things can be rather strange. I am often mistaken for being British, both in writing (which is quite understandable), but also in the flesh, as it were, when I do speak English. It is not something that I regret, however. I rather like it, on the whole. I am unsure why, but since I was also greatly exposed to British works and British television when I was young, I think that we have identified the stiffed-upper-lipped vector.
As a note on English accents in the Nordics, they come in two flavours. Either of American or British influence. I often think that this depend on what sort of English that the individual in question have consumed the most of. There is a fascinating demographical study in the subject, no doubt.

Accents are quite interesting. My Swedish, for instance, is defined by not being an accent at all. It is much like old BBC English, or American broadcasting standard speech. However, I live in a city that have a rather strong regional accent tied to it. You can hear it very clearly. For some odd reason, I never picked it up. Quite a few times, I have talked to people who have then asked me how long I have lived in the city or where I lived before I moved, and they are always surprised to hear that I am native, as it were.

As an aside on the theme, I am a rather fuzzy man, in many senses of the word. I have always been, I had uncommonly hairy arms as a child. I remember this, for I remember that people thought that I was Italian when I was in school. Rather amusing.

As for tipping, I am rather happy that a tolerable salary is already built-in where I am. It has some decided drawbacks; everything is a bit more expensive and the restaurants cannot always afford to hire as much staff as they could use, but my word, tipping seems like such a complicated business. It is still possible to tip as a half-symbolic bonus, a show of appreciation for remarkable service, but I am glad that I do not have to in order for the waiter to make a cut of the income.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122717 on: June 01, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »

I'd wager that delivery people in general (not just pizza guys) are at far greater risk of serious injury or death than most waiters, either from traffic accidents or the aforementioned robbers.

I'll short-tip a waiter that delivered sub-par service. I've even left no tip once, when the service was egregiously awful. But delivery drivers I usually treat rather well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #122718 on: June 01, 2017, 05:32:33 pm »

I don't believe I've ever tipped anyone, nor is it especially common to do so.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122719 on: June 01, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »

It's ubiquitous here in the States, for better or worse. If you don't tip, you're usually seen as a cheapskate.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #122720 on: June 01, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »

There was a guy here in Indianapolis a couple years ago that was murdered while delivering pizza.  I didn't personally know him, but suddenly a lot of people I knew were really pissed off about it.  He was apparently very well regarded among multiple social circles I'm acquainted with.  It's kind of up there with late-night gas station attendant.  Another fairly dangerous position.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122721 on: June 01, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »

It's ubiquitous here in the States, for better or worse. If you don't tip, you're usually seen as a cheapskate.

Tipping is just an excuse to pay employees less, often below minimum, wrapped up in the justification of "Manners".

I still tip (10% because the math's easy), but honestly I'd rather the concept as whole never existed, and people just got paid properly for a job that's already usually terrible to have.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122722 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:29 pm »

... Your name is Banjo? Is that a common Aussie name? Self-chosen or parents-given?

I don't mean to be a dick about it, but it's still... An odd name.
Definitely not common, but it seems at least a few new parents are using the name more recently. One of them even brazenly stole my name, actually! I can think of three separate instances of young children named Banjo, but I've never encountered anyone with that name around my age. Although I was once asked the same question by some Americans I met overseas, because apparently they had met another guy from Australia with the same name. A scary thought. Not sure what age the person in question was.

It was parents-given. They were somewhere on the hippie scale I guess.
I have a love-hate relationship with my name. I think the positives of having such a weird name probably outweigh the negatives. Probably. *shrug*
I kinda wish I could dance like a Bollywood star. Wonder if there are any Bollywood dance classes around here...    
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:23:14 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122723 on: June 01, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »

Indeed, tipping as a concept sucks.  If I understand it right it originated from a time of economic downturn where restraunts couldn't pay their waiters, so they encouraged their clientele to instead if they wanted faster service.

EDIT: In case it isn't obvious, yes in the US you should still tip.  Not tipping isn't going to force the employer to give a living wage, it just screws your server if you don't.  And that said tipping amounts vary.  I tip 20% usually, but my mom was a waitress, so I may have grown up with bias.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:25:39 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122724 on: June 01, 2017, 10:24:11 pm »

High School will be hard for the Banjos.  The only respite is that Banjo Kazooie is probably not going to be (more) popular any time soon.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122725 on: June 01, 2017, 10:29:29 pm »

I grew up alongside the Nintendo 64. It was rough. :P   
[INSERT "KIDS THESE DAYS WILL NEVER KNOW THE STRUGGLE" MEME HERE]   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #122726 on: June 01, 2017, 10:33:06 pm »

EDIT: In case it isn't obvious, yes in the US you should still tip.  Not tipping isn't going to force the employer to give a living wage, it just screws your server if you don't.
Nothing's going to force an employer to give a living wage, heh, save absolutely everyone refusing to work for them. Still, far as I'm aware most places in the states actually are legally mandated to meet minimum wage if tips fall below it, for positions that have that sort of payment system. May be caveated to full time only, can't quite remember. Still definitely not talking living wage in a lot of areas, but... still.

'Course, all that said, the difference between "legally mandated" and "worker living off tips but otherwise minimum wage that's able to get someone to enforce that mandate" can be... wide. Particularly considering "And no longer has a job" is fairly likely to get appended to the latter if it's an actual possibility.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122727 on: June 01, 2017, 10:42:55 pm »

Every couple years or so I venture into a mall.  It's always like walking into a foreign nation, or at least a different state.  It's awe-inspiring and frightening.  Standing there, I couldn't even venture a value judgement, because it's so *alien* and I don't understand it enough to judge.

On the plus side, the Gamestop had Pokemon Go Plus in stock.  Yay!  Also, Azura's Wrath for my 360 (little-used now that I had my fill of Metal Gear Revengeance).  Also Diablo 3!  Each were ~10$, probably worth it for a concentrated over-the-top gods-brawler...  and Diablo 3.  Eh, I like the series, and I've been playing a lot of Starcraft 1's campaign since they released it for free.

Of course, Blizzard doesn't see a cent of a used sale at Gamestop, but that's another story.  Technically I made the game marginally harder to find, thus more valuable.

Edit:  OH OH there was a kiosk with, I think, N64's??  Bunch of classic console games.  Ones I associate with childhood friends, since my first console was a used PS2 when I was fricken 20-something lol.  Still, it was kinda thrilling to see it there, and a group of people about my age chatting around it.  I got anxious and fled XP
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:47:48 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122728 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:03 pm »

Nothing's going to force an employer to give a living wage, heh, save absolutely everyone refusing to work for them. Still, far as I'm aware most places in the states actually are legally mandated to meet minimum wage if tips fall below it, for positions that have that sort of payment system. May be caveated to full time only, can't quite remember. Still definitely not talking living wage in a lot of areas, but... still.

'Course, all that said, the difference between "legally mandated" and "worker living off tips but otherwise minimum wage that's able to get someone to enforce that mandate" can be... wide. Particularly considering "And no longer has a job" is fairly likely to get appended to the latter if it's an actual possibility.

I used to work on commission as a salesman.  When my commissions ended up below minimum, I'd get paid minimum (about 7.50/hr) but the difference they covered would eat into the next time I got over minimum.  Obviously I'd end up fired if I racked up too many weeks below minimum.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122729 on: June 01, 2017, 11:36:18 pm »

Every couple years or so I venture into a mall.  It's always like walking into a foreign nation, or at least a different state.  It's awe-inspiring and frightening.  Standing there, I couldn't even venture a value judgement, because it's so *alien* and I don't understand it enough to judge.
Yeah, I know what you mean, malls can be fascinating.
The ones that manage to remain busy and successful are interesting to see (even if terrifying), and once-great malls that are in decline evoke a strangely large amount of sympathy and sadness considering what ugly stains on the landscape they probably were to begin with. Malls can cause a variety of emotions- walking into a crowded one, though, is mostly panic.

Did you record any samples for your new vaporwave album while you were there?

OH OH there was a kiosk with, I think, N64's??  Bunch of classic console games. 
Oh, did you spot any copies of Banjo Kazooie? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 8180 8181 [8182] 8183 8184 ... 10983