Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8191 8192 [8193] 8194 8195 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13200793 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122880 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:35 pm »

I just found out that the manga Gunnm is getting an American live action adaptation. I hear Ghost in the Shell wasn't very good.

Gunnm aka "Battle Angel Alita" (the name they gave the manga in America) is one of my favorite mangas, I'll probably go see this but I expect they're going to fuck it up. It's got a layer of grimdark humor that i very much doubt an American adaptation could or would capture. If they did it properly they could get about 6 movies out of the original run of the manga.

My theory is that they're desperately want to make a go of adapting large amounts of manga for American audiences as US live action films. But nobody has cracked the code yet: they throw their standard script doctoring tools at this but the movies keep ending up as shit. Someone will probably crack it one day then that will become the template for how you adapt these things, in the same way that it took some time to work out the ideal way to adapt the "generic superhero movie".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:02:34 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122881 on: June 07, 2017, 12:01:07 am »

Ok, Ghost in the Shell is famous and all so I know why they adapted it, and the same for Death Note.

But I've never heard of this before. This is one of those animes with a procedural title that is only subbed, I take it? How the hell did that get picked up...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122882 on: June 07, 2017, 12:02:24 am »

Ok, Ghost in the Shell is famous and all so I know why they adapted it, and the same for Death Note.

But I've never heard of this before. This is one of those animes with a procedural title that is only subbed, I take it? How the hell did that get picked up...

The creator of the in the making movie... LOVES the source material and has been trying to make it for nearly 20 years!

So... basically Passion project.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122883 on: June 07, 2017, 12:06:48 am »

Gunnm is a grimdark post-apocalyptic cyberpunk manga, a pretty long one. It's one of those things with such extreme grimdark that it becomes humor. e.g. there's one cyborg who is an endorphin junkie, but he can't get enough, so he bites the top of peoples heads off and sucks down their brains. It's fucking gory as all hell.

It was adapted to a couple of OVA anime episodes in the early 1990s but they don't cover much of the story. The main problem with an adaptation is that the series' humor won't work unless it's made suitably gory and over the top.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:18:50 am by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #122884 on: June 07, 2017, 01:14:45 am »

I've been looking up cosplays that I think wouldn't be common, just to see if there are any examples. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there actually are a handful of Rosie the Riveter cosplay images out there. Some go for a realistic approach, one person tried an interesting dithering effect with comic-book lines drawn in makeup, and of course there were lots of ridiculous sexualized ones.

What I didn't understand were the zombie variations, of which there were several examples. Is zombified Rosie the Riveter a thing in some game or comic book I don't know about...?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122885 on: June 07, 2017, 02:04:19 am »

[rant]
Just spoke to time warner cable internet support.  Pretty much just wanted to check the signal values they were getting from my gateway, and potentially check to see if a service center would chargfe for a swap if I found it necessary.  Been getting a bunch of connection drops lately and if the signals looked as good on their end as they do from the gateway's logs I was going to try swapping for a more up to date one see if that evens things out.

Fool had no idea what I was talking about.  Didn't even know what an upstream or downstream WAS, and then remotely restarted the gateway AFTER I told him I was speaking to him through their service's internet phone.  As in, him restarting the gateway would be him disconnecting the call.

When I worked internet tech support I actually knew what I was doing and actually fixed problems.  In that world is THAT considered quality customer service?  That is AT BEST call avoidance.  At worst incompetence.

When I did this moron's job I would actually log into gateways and fix problems, and when I did have to disconnect a call for a reset, I let them know it was gunna happen and called them back!  I had a first call resolution rate of 92%! Which meant that 92% of the people I spoke to didn't call back again for the same problem for at least a month.  My coworkers averaged 70%.  Yet because They suddenly decided that us tech support guys needed to sell security systems on top of our tech support duties, and I didn't sell enough of their subpar worthless security that anyone with an iphone could hack and disable, because they insist the default wifi passwords are secure enough for the security system, my services were no longer worthwhile.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.  Mars is too mainstream.  Does Ceres need IT guys?
[/rant]
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #122886 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:22 am »

work today was madness. a tower of milk jugs fell over and eight of them split and leaked all over the floor. spent half an hour cleaning that up. my co-worker had to leave despite not getting everything done, so I got to finish his side of the work, putting on the shelves a shipment of goods that purportedly exceeded $36,000, and then just as I finished it we got more cigarettes delivered, so I spent another hour rotating them in underneath what we already had.

and then I ran out of time, didn't finish the work in the cooler before I had to go, and I just barely got the rest of the usual daily chores done. my everything hurts.

and turns out at some point the groin seam of my pants split along the bottom couple inches. don't think it was even visible thank god.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122887 on: June 07, 2017, 02:47:23 am »

and turns out at some point the groin seam of my pants split along the bottom couple inches. don't think it was even visible thank god.
A brother in arms! I had the same thing happen yesterday. Bent over while gardening and suddenly felt a tearing sensation going from my buttcrack to my balls. R.I.P. pants, you served me well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122888 on: June 07, 2017, 04:41:47 am »

Mine always wear out along the underside. Not a rip along the seam, a hole wears through next to it. Can't figure out why that happens, because it seems to be a very sudden thing rather than something that happens over time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122889 on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:18 am »

Probably dissolved in methane

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122890 on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:03 am »

Disciplinary talk because of missed days.

I've missed 2. The rest have been due to directly being told not to come in because of lack of work.

At least I know not to take my manager at his word now.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #122891 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:40 am »

-Removed-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:53:13 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122892 on: June 07, 2017, 09:02:10 am »

That's really not an appropriate thing to post. Even in the wtf thread.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122893 on: June 07, 2017, 09:29:28 am »

this is so awful it wraps right back to being trying incredibly hard to be awful and stops being awful. 1/10
Black lives matter.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122894 on: June 07, 2017, 09:32:58 am »

That's really not an appropriate thing to post. Even in the wtf thread.
Second that. Please keep shit like that off the DF boards

Pages: 1 ... 8191 8192 [8193] 8194 8195 ... 10984