Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8213 8214 [8215] 8216 8217 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196616 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123210 on: June 15, 2017, 09:22:46 am »

I am trying to build enough credit for a house loan. It's basically impossible to buy a house in the USA without a loan or being obscenely rich.
Well yeah, mortgage is a thing over here as well. Not quite the same as a credit card though. Credit cards can be used to buy consumable goods (which can't be reposessed on credit failure). A mortgage is backed by estate. I think you need to bring in 50% of total value yourself before being allowed a mortgage, could be that the percentage is tied to age.

Note though that in the Netherlands, you cannot be 'in debt for the rest of your life'. If you get into such problematic debt that there's no way you can get out of it, you can file for bankrupcy. All your non-essential and slightly valuable stuff will be sold on auction. After that, you live on less than social minimum for 3 or 4 years, with the government settling the debt with the creditors (national tax service has first pick, if there's a debt there; banks and other creditors are often left with empty hands when it comes to a bankrupcy, if there's enough taxes left unpaid. Banks have a big interest in preventing bankrupcies for that reason, which works reasonably well to keep the banking sector in check in regards to loansharkyness). After that 4 year period, you're debt free. You will still be in the registry as not being creditworthy for a bit longer than that though, so you won't be able to get into debts again anytime soon. But in debt for the rest of your life is not possible here. Four years max, protected by law.

Technically you could get a bank to loan you a substantial amount of money, use that to buy diamonds, hide the diamonds in a hollow tree and file for bankrupcy, live off welfare checks minus residual debt payments for four years, and then go to your hollow tree and cash in on the diamonds under the table somewhere.
Won't happen in reality though. Banks aren't that stupid. They're not going to give anyone an loan substantial enough to suffer 4 years of welfare hell for, and for someone already able to raise their creditworthyness high enough to get a substantial loan, there's probably easier ways to make big money, legit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:39:27 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #123211 on: June 15, 2017, 09:44:27 am »

Woke up this morning to a leg cramp.

Hooray.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123212 on: June 15, 2017, 09:48:33 am »

Sounds better than here..

Here, you need to have a reasonable downpayment, but to get a loan, you need a good credit score, and reliable income. Terms of mortgages are often in the decades in length. Some longer.

During that time, you have a minimum monthly payment on that mortgage, which covers paying interest to the bank to carry your debt, and any payments to principle of the debt. The bank sets the terms of the minimum payment. It usually pays a pittance toward principle though.

Some loans or mortgages have penalties for making additional payments to principle, but most dont.

Sounds like your system promotes people to create savings, rather than debt.  The US system favors having people hogtied over a barrel with debt, because having people in debt to you is reliable income for you. (assuming you are a creditor, or a bank.) This is one of the reasons why the US banking crash was caused by toxic debts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123213 on: June 15, 2017, 09:56:28 am »

Nah sounds like our mortgage system is about the same as yours. Steady income was so obvious I didn't think it needed mention.
Credit score is not relevant though. Don't even know if we have such a thing as credit score here. Don't think we do, perhaps we have it for the few people that use credit cards.

For the rest though, minimum monthly payment, interest to the bank, penalties for paying off early, we all have that too. Bank kinda sets the terms of minimum payment, although they're bound by pretty strict code of social conduit, while mostly not set in law, still enforced by public and parliamentary pressure. They can't give you a term of minimum payment of which they know that a slight setback in income could make unaffordable, and there are set maximums for fees, interest and any other extra mediation costs involved

But yeah, promoting savings is indeed a real Dutch thing. Studies have shown though that the average Dutch person tends to save less and less in the bank, as trust in banks decreases.  Doesn't mean they don't save though. Just that old socks in the matress are a thing again. We get served the thought of saving for your future, and not buying what you cannot afford with our first bites of baby food.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:02:11 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123214 on: June 15, 2017, 10:26:29 am »

In other WTF, ABC reporter Adam Harvey got shot in the neck in the Philippines. When walking to the car, he felt a blow to his neck, "as if being hit by a baseball".
He didn't think anything serious happened though, he thought he was just hit by some shrapnel, and that it wasn't very serious, and was joking with his colleagues about the whole incident.
Just to be sure, they decided to have him checked up at the hospital.

Turns out he has a bullet embedded in his neck.
check the X-ray pic in the volkskrant article.
ABC director Gavin Morris says his injury is not life-threatening.

Harvey, who lives in Jakarta, was in the Phillipines for a while to report about the IS uprising in Marawi.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/journalist-van-abc-news-op-filipijnen-in-de-nek-geraakt-door-kogel~a4501013/

EDIT: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-15/adam-harvey-hit-in-neck-by-bullet-in-philippines/8621290
Dang he had to flee the hospital that was treating him for becoming too dangerous. I hope he's still feeling okay once the morphine wears off
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:34:41 am by martinuzz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123215 on: June 15, 2017, 10:53:30 am »

Woke up this morning to a leg cramp.

Hooray.
Getting out of bed was the second hardest thing this morning
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #123216 on: June 15, 2017, 11:49:31 am »

The first hardest thing is still the morning wood.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #123217 on: June 15, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »

I'm unsure if you're using that 'the worst' correct o_O...because that's a very reasonable situation.
You can also try calling/communicating that to your doc :O In the least, over here, we have other methods of payment [like if not in cash, in other tradeable goods, like produce or otherwise, but that's of course context-wise]

Also as an aside, how does that credit system work? The one mentioned by Greiger ._.

As far as im aware trade goods cannot be used in a transaction for a service like that, legally, probably directly related to tax laws. I can pay in money, but not lumps of gold or whatever, because thats hard to tax. The irs is serious about getting their taxes, to the point its illegal to sell or offer any service without a license and taxation. A kid can get away with selling lemonade for like two days, after that you have to have a licence and pay taxes on their business.

I might technically be able to convince them to drop a monetary debt with some other deal that doesnt technically count as a legal transaction, but thats pretty much impossible because ive got nothing of value to offer besides money. Ive just not been paying because my bank account has been a flat $0.06 for the last few months, because i couldnt find employment. Now i finally got it but i have to wait for a paycheck.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #123218 on: June 15, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »

I am trying to build enough credit for a house loan. It's basically impossible to buy a house in the USA without a loan or being obscenely rich.
Well yeah, mortgage is a thing over here as well. Not quite the same as a credit card though. Credit cards can be used to buy consumable goods (which can't be reposessed on credit failure). A mortgage is backed by estate. I think you need to bring in 50% of total value yourself before being allowed a mortgage, could be that the percentage is tied to age.

Note though that in the Netherlands, you cannot be 'in debt for the rest of your life'. If you get into such problematic debt that there's no way you can get out of it, you can file for bankrupcy. All your non-essential and slightly valuable stuff will be sold on auction. After that, you live on less than social minimum for 3 or 4 years, with the government settling the debt with the creditors (national tax service has first pick, if there's a debt there; banks and other creditors are often left with empty hands when it comes to a bankrupcy, if there's enough taxes left unpaid. Banks have a big interest in preventing bankrupcies for that reason, which works reasonably well to keep the banking sector in check in regards to loansharkyness). After that 4 year period, you're debt free. You will still be in the registry as not being creditworthy for a bit longer than that though, so you won't be able to get into debts again anytime soon. But in debt for the rest of your life is not possible here. Four years max, protected by law.

Technically you could get a bank to loan you a substantial amount of money, use that to buy diamonds, hide the diamonds in a hollow tree and file for bankrupcy, live off welfare checks minus residual debt payments for four years, and then go to your hollow tree and cash in on the diamonds under the table somewhere.
Won't happen in reality though. Banks aren't that stupid. They're not going to give anyone an loan substantial enough to suffer 4 years of welfare hell for, and for someone already able to raise their creditworthyness high enough to get a substantial loan, there's probably easier ways to make big money, legit.
In the US we had a bit of an incident where a bunch of medical students graduated college and then immediately went bankrupt.  The amount of doctors that are allowed to pass medical school is tightly controlled over here, so after going bankrupt all those students immediately went on to make a ton of money.  As a result of that, we pretty much don't forgive student debt any more, even through bankruptcy.  Its awful.

We also don't really pass your debts on to next of kin when you die... but many people here don't know that and collection agencies will still try to collect from next of kin, often succeeding.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123219 on: June 15, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123220 on: June 15, 2017, 04:01:43 pm »

If there is one thing that is so far really sad about Feral children, it is that they seem to have low chances of being happy after being reintroduced to humanity.

---

Also I am really glad I found a great female letsplayer (a duo in fact).

Also I am really glad I found another great letsplayer in general.

I put them under the funny and Joy-filled category.

Jeltoid is CLOSE but they don't really do complete letsplays (they are a female male duo)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:11:38 pm by Neonivek »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123221 on: June 15, 2017, 04:21:15 pm »

Feral children...? I will probably regret asking but where is this comment coming from/directed at?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123222 on: June 15, 2017, 04:22:45 pm »

Also I am really glad I found a great female letsplayer (a duo in fact).

Are you familiar with this one?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123223 on: June 15, 2017, 04:32:14 pm »

Feral children...? I will probably regret asking but where is this comment coming from/directed at?

I researched into Feral Children.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #123224 on: June 15, 2017, 04:39:50 pm »

I too would like to know more about the effects of 'edge of society' living upon developing human animals.

P:

Oh, and since Im here, Some guy got pissed I wouldnt let him cut me off and swiped at my car, taking the side mirror off its hinge.  I had to spend 90 minutes and 25$ getting it fixed and buying tools!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 8213 8214 [8215] 8216 8217 ... 10984