Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8306 8307 [8308] 8309 8310 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167175 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124605 on: July 24, 2017, 07:18:22 pm »

Sooo...it's just Paint with some new tools?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124606 on: July 24, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »

From what I've read, yeah, haven't used the Paint3D thing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124607 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:12 pm »

How is this bad in any way, then?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124608 on: July 24, 2017, 07:37:59 pm »

Its that Paint is being dropped and replaced, not the replacement itself.

Just nostalgia, attachment to something that's been around for so long, "don't fix what isn't broken", etc. While it's definetly useful in a real pinch, it has limitations. I never got attached to Paint, so, I don't have any feelings about it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124609 on: July 24, 2017, 07:41:22 pm »

I mean I super love paint, but I would also be happy to see it grow meaningfully since 1995.

Maybe it'll get some photoshop/gimp-style features too. I'm interested.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #124610 on: July 24, 2017, 07:43:38 pm »

MS Paint is for pictures what Notepad is for words.

Yes, Microsoft has been shipping Wordpad with Windows for YEARS now, and it is FAR superior to Notepad, but it still comes with Windows too, because it's so simple and useful and fast and easy.

I feel the same way about MS Paint. Yes, there are better programs nowadays, but MS Paint is so easy to use and so perfect for pixel-based art pieces. Fortunately, I found that if you turn anti-aliasing off in the similarly named Paint.Net program, it is just as good or even better, but it takes so much longer to load. If I'm in a hurry, and using an app with no screenshot feature built in (EG, not a steam app or minecraft, which means my browser and a few other games), MS Paint has been my go-to for pasting and saving.

A very simple 3D program sounds cool, but it's not the same as MS Paint.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124611 on: July 24, 2017, 08:02:38 pm »

As someone who's used paint3d once in a ill-conceived attempt to make maps for RTD's, I can safely say that it is not:
just Paint with some new tools

It is a shitty 3D modelling software that has terrible support for textures. Rather than taking a polygon and replacing it with a texture, you instead put "stamps" on your model which do not actually scale with the polygon face. You have to manually resize it and the tools given to do so are inadequate (it's basically impossible to make it pixel perfect).

Eventually I gave up and started using sketchup, a much better software if you want to do 3d modelling.

FAKEDIT: In case it wasn't obvious, this 3d modelling software barely has any tools to support drawing.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124612 on: July 24, 2017, 08:11:19 pm »

Sounds like they tried to make a 3D program that was extremely minimalist, or emulate the most primitive 3D art programs when making 3D objects was a very new thing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124613 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:20 pm »

MS Paint is for pictures what Notepad is for words.

Yes, Microsoft has been shipping Wordpad with Windows for YEARS now, and it is FAR superior to Notepad, but it still comes with Windows too, because it's so simple and useful and fast and easy.

I feel the same way about MS Paint. Yes, there are better programs nowadays, but MS Paint is so easy to use and so perfect for pixel-based art pieces. Fortunately, I found that if you turn anti-aliasing off in the similarly named Paint.Net program, it is just as good or even better, but it takes so much longer to load. If I'm in a hurry, and using an app with no screenshot feature built in (EG, not a steam app or minecraft, which means my browser and a few other games), MS Paint has been my go-to for pasting and saving.

A very simple 3D program sounds cool, but it's not the same as MS Paint.

No, MSPaint is a very powerful tool in competent hands.

That snake avatar I made?  Totally done in MS paint.  I would remind you what it looks like but I am punishing photobucket for their absurdity, and have not uploaded it to any new hosts yet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124614 on: July 24, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »

I am going to try it tonight and report back.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #124615 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:59 pm »

I have paint3d on my laptop actually. It literally wont load. Just sits there displaying its logo like an idiot.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124616 on: July 24, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »

On topic of the fridge, please don't burn it, despite the many Beavis and Buttheads here crying 'fire and explosions'.

A fridge really should go to the hazardous waste dump or whatever you call it over there. Some of the older fridges have stuff in them (like CFKs) that you really don't want to burn into the atmosphere. In fact, if you do, you'd be a criminal offender (environmental laws) and could face jailtime.
So please, don't burn fridges.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #124617 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:27 pm »

Yea, keep it cool guys. Refrigeration cool.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124618 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:38 pm »

Over here in the Netherlands, it's simple. Every town has it's public dump area, which also has a specialized part for chemical and hazardous materials.
We all get a city pass. With that, we can dump large household trash, like fridges, stoves, beds etc. for free. Or well, free, we pay city taxes for it.

So basically, put fridge in back of car >> drive to dump >> dump fridge in designated fridge container (yes our dumps actually have those, they're nice and organized like that to make recycling easier) >> say cheers to the dumpster workers >> profit.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124619 on: July 24, 2017, 09:30:29 pm »

Part of the issue is the need to deal with the...problem...lest it be foisted off onto those dumpster workers.

Not that you could even transport the damn thing as it is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 8306 8307 [8308] 8309 8310 ... 10983