Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8307 8308 [8309] 8310 8311 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13198895 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124620 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:29 pm »

On topic of the fridge, please don't burn it, despite the many Beavis and Buttheads here crying 'fire and explosions'.

A fridge really should go to the hazardous waste dump or whatever you call it over there. Some of the older fridges have stuff in them (like CFKs) that you really don't want to burn into the atmosphere. In fact, if you do, you'd be a criminal offender (environmental laws) and could face jailtime.
So please, don't burn fridges.

Frumple said that the fridge is at least a year old. CFCs have been banned for decades, so, it's highly unlikely to have that. However, refrigerants generally aren't friendly to the environment and should be disposed of properly.

Over here in the Netherlands, it's simple. Every town has it's public dump area, which also has a specialized part for chemical and hazardous materials.
We all get a city pass. With that, we can dump large household trash, like fridges, stoves, beds etc. for free. Or well, free, we pay city taxes for it.

So basically, put fridge in back of car >> drive to dump >> dump fridge in designated fridge container (yes our dumps actually have those, they're nice and organized like that to make recycling easier) >> say cheers to the dumpster workers >> profit.

The local recycling center or city dump should have something for stuff like that, yeah. Didn't think of that earlier.

Part of the issue is the need to deal with the...problem...lest it be foisted off onto those dumpster workers.

Not that you could even transport the damn thing as it is.

True.....

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #124621 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:50 pm »

Power hose?
I mean, if you're dumping it you won't care what a highly pressurised stream of water will do to it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124622 on: July 24, 2017, 09:34:15 pm »

Part of the issue is the need to deal with the...problem...lest it be foisted off onto those dumpster workers.

One word. Ductape. Just seal it off with ductape. It's not like the recycling workers have never seen a fridge of wriggly doom before. You might need to work on your eloquence skills so you can convince them there's no corpse in it though  :D

If it's too wet and you fear it's gonna leak on your car's floor, then open it, and leave it open outside for a few days before ductaping it off, that'll mostly dry it out.

EDIT: also, thanks for correcting me smjjames, CFK is the Dutch therm for CFC
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:39:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124623 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:23 pm »

For what it's worth, I'm about 70% sure whatever makes it criminal where you are doesn't exist in north florida, mart, heh. Or if it does, it's unenforced out in the boonies to the point it might as well not. If it emitted toxic fumes, I don't think anyone would notice until they killed someone, and might not even then.

There's ways to deal with stuff like that, but by and large the proper way is either get in touch with the garbage folks and see what the hell they do with 'em (and cross fingers, hoping their answer isn't, "Look, just go find some woods to dump it in and stop bothering us."), or haul it off to the nearest garbage dump... which is about an hour off, as far as I'm aware. Recycling center closer, but I honestly don't want to inflict that thing on the people that work there.

Current intent right now is wait until the morning and see if I can get in touch with the closest public waste management facilities, see if they can offer advice even if I'm from a different county. as near as I can tell/recall there isn't a waste management facility in the one I'm in. Iirc the garbage folks haul stuff off to a different one to get rid of junk.

@ smj: Less than not at least, heh. But yeah, it's way younger than the atmo bans.

@ MSH: We could totally transport the thing, actually. It would just fucking ruin whatever was used to move it, and quite possibly flap detritus into the wind as we went down the highway. It's bad enough the suffering that could cause to people behind me isn't even conceptually amusing.

... though yeah, someone trying to put that thing into an actual car my family owns would lead to me committing violence upon them. Not that anything smaller than an SUV or whatev' could fit it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124624 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:57 pm »

One word. Ductape. Just seal it off with ductape. It's not like the recycling workers have never seen a fridge of wriggly doom before. You might need to work on your eloquence skills so you can convince them there's no corpse in it though  :D

If it's too wet and you fear it's gonna leak on your car's floor, then open it, and leave it open outside for a few days before ductaping it off, that'll mostly dry it out.

It's Florida, land of sun and rain....

As for highly pressurized stream of water, wouldn't be too hard to get a hose attachment which can do that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124625 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41:38 pm »

The 'leave a fridge open for a few days' is also an age-old trick to get rid of the worst smell. Really. It works. Just one day of open fridge door can make it go from 'omg what died in there' to 'smells funny'.

If you don't want to put it in anyone's car, consider renting a small trailer. You can get those here at nearly every gas station for maybe 7.50 euros an hour.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:44:04 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124626 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:21 pm »

The 'leave a fridge open for a few days' is also an age-old trick to get rid of the worst smell. Really. It works. Just one day of open fridge door can make it go from 'omg what died in there' to 'smells funny'.

That's assuming it doesn't have... whatever the heck Frumples relative's former rental clients fridge has in it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124627 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:52 pm »

Ah, and yeah. The fridge has been sitting outside for like... weeks. As far as I'm aware. Not open, but if that thing's actually particularly sealed at this point I'd be about six kinds of hella' surprised. Opening it would maybe make it dry out, some? Some of the smell would go. But it'd mostly just lead to the stuff inside having a jolly good time spreading around outside of it, as the current weather (rain and storms pretty much unbroken for the next week or so, plus florida summer) made damn sure it didn't dry out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #124628 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:30 pm »

Dear lord. Seriously, if it starts to spread outside the fridge, call the US army.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124629 on: July 24, 2017, 10:10:48 pm »

This place is the closest thread that IK of for this: If you heat up wood to the point it would ignite, in a vacuum, does the wood melt? since in a vacuum, there is no oxygen, and fire can't start without oxygen.... so what would happen?
Isn't "heating wood in an oxygen-less environment" like, the basis of making charcoal?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124630 on: July 24, 2017, 10:15:48 pm »

Yes. When you heat any substance without the ability to ignite, it undergoes thermal decomposition and turns into a different material as chemical bonds are altered by the energy input. In wood this makes charcoal.

Of course, if you take this way too far it'll turn into plasma instead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124631 on: July 24, 2017, 10:17:54 pm »

This place is the closest thread that IK of for this: If you heat up wood to the point it would ignite, in a vacuum, does the wood melt? since in a vacuum, there is no oxygen, and fire can't start without oxygen.... so what would happen?
Isn't "heating wood in an oxygen-less environment" like, the basis of making charcoal?

Yeah, it is.

Ninja'd but posting anyway.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124632 on: July 25, 2017, 12:09:34 am »

Yes. When you heat any substance without the ability to ignite, it undergoes thermal decomposition and turns into a different material as chemical bonds are altered by the energy input. In wood this makes charcoal.

Of course, if you take this way too far it'll turn into plasma instead.
Science is so cool.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #124633 on: July 25, 2017, 12:13:27 am »

With regards to the fridge; i notice a lot of rednecks out here actually use old appliances for target practice. There are some other creative uses like tuening them in composting bins (which yours seems to be in the process of becoming, slowly.) Or repurposing them for entirely novel uses, but shooting them full of holes seems to be step one.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124634 on: July 25, 2017, 12:14:23 am »

On the wood discussion, there's also wood gas, which is made by boiling wood in a pressure chamber and collecting the gas.
Pages: 1 ... 8307 8308 [8309] 8310 8311 ... 10984