Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8309 8310 [8311] 8312 8313 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179764 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124650 on: July 25, 2017, 04:04:17 pm »

Well it does sound like fun.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #124651 on: July 25, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #124652 on: July 25, 2017, 06:13:23 pm »

I read a story about a Wisconsin company "voluntarily" microchiping their employees....

If true, one chance to stop this godawful slippery slope..... There is no counterargument..... There is no compromise. Either you own all parts of your own body or none.... Limits... will erode.... I hope its a joke.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124653 on: July 25, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »

Normally I'd say that's a slippery slope argument but I think you're right.  A microchip isn't the same thing as an ID card because it modifies your body.  It would be like having a piercing or a tattoo as part of your uniform, even if you can undo it its still crossing a line.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124654 on: July 25, 2017, 06:23:39 pm »

Probably not a joke, heh. Not necessarily, but there's been a bit more solidification of the tech behind subdermal stuff in the last few years. We'll almost certainly be seeing it start to pop up from place to place within a decade, maybe two or three. Even beyond whatever the wisconsin thing may or may not be, I coulda' sworn there's a few places that have done/are doing general use trial runs already.

Less certain is whether it'll actually become particularly pervasive. The things don't really offer all that much compared to more traditional means of ID for most stuff your average company would give a damn about, and generally less invasive stuff involves less headache, logistic and otherwise.

... that said, the tech developing is definitely something I'd personally call a good thing on the net. Not so much for civilian/normal business use, but for junk like medical monitoring. Family actually used something of that nature just recently, arm patch type thing that periodically monitored blood sugar over the course of a week or so. Stuff like that would kinda' be a bit of a godsend. Lotta' folks have trouble keeping up with manual monitoring of that sort.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #124655 on: July 25, 2017, 06:30:02 pm »

Hmmwhat? It's a chip in your skin. It doesn't have a function as part of your body. It doesn't replace any part of your body you'd normally have. It doesn't provide any intrinsic advantage over people who don't have it. It's like an ID card you carry in your pocket, except the pocket is your skin. Which isn't too different from having an ID card on a band round your wrist, or attached to your clothes. This is barely more body-modification than clothing.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124656 on: July 25, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »

I'unno, generally if it more or less necessarily takes bleeding to remove somethin' you've gone pretty far past clothing. Like, I can sorta' see what you're saying, but generally folks tend to take something of a red line approach where things go piecemeal up unto a point and then the shanks come out if you keep going. Even relatively minor surgery tends to be in the knifing zone.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:34:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124657 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:14 pm »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/three-square-market-wisconsin-implant-microchips-employees/

The abuse is unpreventable and extreme. Refuse the chip; lose your job. It's exploitation. Track your location, vitals, genes, medications (birth control), and everything. You will literally have no privacy, but the company will. If they ever figure out a sub dermal microphone, you can bet they'll hear your every word. Company run by people who hate gays, or your religion, they'll track you when you go to the gay bar or church. That's right Catholics; you think your religion is under attack now.... The gays know what I'm talking about too. Company doesn't like your political views; you better never attend any political function. They'll never tell you, that's why you're fired, passed over for promotion, etc, but....

Think I'm joking or embellishing or don't understand? Think again: http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2017/07/19/a_man_s_pacemaker_data_will_be_used_against_him_in_court.html

Boycott the daylights out of this company. Hinder it in any legal way you can before this cancer spreads by not purchasing its products and giving it negative press. You won't be able to log onto your work computer or operate a cash register without having a chip in you in 10 years if this catches on. Will you be able to clock in, or open certain doors in the facility?

Damn it; wanting some kind of a personal life isn't a bad thing. It's none of anyone's business. You don't need a chip in you to purchase snacks. It's a more expensive, invasive, way to do something we can already do. That doesn't even touch the fact that police and literally anyone will be able to tell everything about you at any time, even remotely.

Come on people, don't let them chip you like livestock. Have we forgotten every government and corporate abuse? Wake up.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:37:38 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124658 on: July 25, 2017, 06:35:09 pm »

Hmmwhat? It's a chip in your skin. It doesn't have a function as part of your body. It doesn't replace any part of your body you'd normally have. It doesn't provide any intrinsic advantage over people who don't have it. It's like an ID card you carry in your pocket, except the pocket is your skin. Which isn't too different from having an ID card on a band round your wrist, or attached to your clothes. This is barely more body-modification than clothing.
Clothing is not body modification.  Chips are body modification.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #124659 on: July 25, 2017, 06:40:55 pm »

I have earned more reputation TODAY on StackOverflow (a programming QA site) than I have in the previous YEAR. Answering questions is amazingly easy, and gives a lot of rep very fast...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124660 on: July 25, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »

I'm a little baffled as to who thinks the chip implants is a good idea anyways

Whoever owns the company / government and wants to own you. Can't have property wandering off.

Please don't quote me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124661 on: July 25, 2017, 07:03:51 pm »

Forget privacy concerns for a minute. I'm highly surprised that there isn't a great deal of Mark of The Beast panicking going on.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124662 on: July 25, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »

I'm super not cool with microchipping people for any reason. It seems like an incredibly poorly thought out precedent to set for any number of reasons.

Also, that thing with the pacemaker is nothing really new, the article even says that hospitals have been able to provide medical data to law enforcement for these purposes for a while now. Of course this would extend to a pacemaker. In fact, it's not the first time pacemaker data has been used in court by a long shot. The data has been used in murder cases to great effect.

And yes, as a Christian I can confirm the ABJECT BEAST-RELATED PANIC this sort of thing generates every time it crops up. It happened when someone figured out they were researching tiny microchips, it happened when the military started offering them at once point, and it happened when they started offering them at high cost for pets. Somehow I'm not in a concentration camp yet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124663 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:57 pm »

Can't say I know that unit of media, but now the dystopian teen thriller Barcode Tattoo springs to mind. Needless hyperbole and pessimism giggles at the idea that life imitates fiction. we young adult fiction now, bois
It is a Biblical reference.
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Revelation 12:16-17
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124664 on: July 25, 2017, 07:19:24 pm »

Yeah, nah, as per mention there definitely is mark of the beast stuff going on regarding subdermal junk.

That said, US evangelicals being what they are that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be opposed. Gotta' get them fowl lined up for that there apocalypse, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 8309 8310 [8311] 8312 8313 ... 10983