Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8314 8315 [8316] 8317 8318 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182478 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124725 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:43 am »

As a general rule, if you want to repair electronics by yourself, don't.

That is only a good general rule if you are completely ignorant of how to use tools. What we were discussing is nothing more than disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly; which is something that is only difficult if you are extremely careless or in cases where the assembly is particularly complex. There are also often plenty of drop-in parts that you can easily swap in (such as the laser assembly on a Playstation, which tends to degrade with time), with not much more skill needed. More extensive repairs, such as desoldering and replacing individual components (such as the tiny switches under mouse buttons) requires a bit more skill and runs a greater risk, but is still far from impractical to do. With a few rare exceptions (such as CRT televisions and monitors), the only risk is that of destroying the thing you're trying to fix, which isn't a terrible risk since you wouldn't be trying to repair it if it was functional to begin with.

The attitude "never try to fix it" is a very bad one, and contributes massively to the environmental disaster that is modern throwaway culture.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124726 on: July 27, 2017, 10:47:40 am »

I'd try and repair something only if I was willing to buy a replacement anyway. If my headphones break I'll have a go at welding the wires back into a better position. If I mess up I already have money set aside for a new pair so no big deal.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124727 on: July 27, 2017, 10:59:10 am »

I can't imagine the company *not* compensating you for that, or I'd suggest you find another company, because that is completely out of your hands. How would you know or fix it? It's not like you can just dump half the load somewhere, it's your (and the company's) job to transport it.

Might have been the way the load was distributed?

What was the load? if you can divulge it.
Definitely the distribution. The middle axle (the front of the cargo, in other words) was nearly 10k lbs below the limit, so the whole thing was definitely back-heavy.

The cargo was bales of used carpet. Why anyone would want to transport used carpet across the country, I have no flipping clue.

Good news is, it sounds like my company will be paying the ticket. I'll be keeping an eye on my pay stubs to make sure they don't try to garnish anything on the sly, but in all likelihood I'm financially clear in this case.

Why would they even ticket individual drivers for this? It seems like something that should go straight to the company.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124728 on: July 27, 2017, 11:57:30 am »

It's the individual driver's responsibility to scale the load if they suspect it's overweight at all, and to ensure that everything is road legal. Many places have scales where drivers can weigh everything and make sure it's legit before the police notice and issue citations.

In my case, there were no scales at all. Not before the highway patrol checkpoint, anyway, which meant that I was out of luck. On the other hand, if there had been a scale and I had simply skipped it, the company could pretty easily pin the fine on me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124729 on: July 27, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »

Did you end up having to cover the fine?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124730 on: July 27, 2017, 03:45:14 pm »

I assume you mean "are they going to pay it or are they going to reimburse you and you have to pay it first?" because he already said that the company is going to cover it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #124731 on: July 27, 2017, 04:14:22 pm »

Reminds me of the time I tried to fix a laptop on my own.

Tip: Don't.
I've done this though. Even upgraded it on my own. Granted I'm not exactly doing heavy duty repairs or whatever, but still.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124732 on: July 27, 2017, 04:25:04 pm »

I assume you mean "are they going to pay it or are they going to reimburse you and you have to pay it first?" because he already said that the company is going to cover it.
I'm "pretty sure" they're going to cover it. The ticket got sent to corporate HQ and none of the people I've spoken to (my direct manager on up) has mentioned anything about me having to pay for it, so add in the bad situation and I doubt much will happen to me other than some mandatory training. But I could be wrong.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124733 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »

Reminds me of the time I tried to fix a laptop on my own.

Tip: Don't.
I've done this though. Even upgraded it on my own. Granted I'm not exactly doing heavy duty repairs or whatever, but still.
I've certainly tried, anyway. Cleaned some stuff out, replaced some thermal whatever-it-is. At the least, if you're going to give it a go, set aside a couple of hours before you attempt. Both not something you want to try to speed through and quite possibly rather involved depending on how malicious your particular model's makers were.

There's some design decisions when it comes to fitting all that stuff inside a laptop case that seem somewhat questionable from a home repair standpoint, ahaha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124734 on: July 27, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »

My step-uncle has passed away today. Apparently natural causes. My family is shocked at his sudden death, despite him having been in poor health for months.

I'm not sure if it's something wrong with me, or if I just really hated the guy, but I'm not exceptionally sorrowful about it. Surprised, and certainly not happy about it, of course. On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if the asshole deadbeat friend of my stepdad's who lives in the trailer outside tried to call dibs on the upstairs room.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124735 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »

People keep forcing Linkedin on me because the job market is so royally fucked inside out so I finally give it a go.

Fucking garbage.  The UI is terrible, bouncing me around every time I think about changing something.  Editing any part of a profile needs one to three dialog boxes to do.  But making bullshit facebook posts on your feed takes 5 seconds.  There's only a handful of actual job postings that are weeks old (so they are worth nothing really, because by now they are filled) and even if relevant are half a state away.  Despite being a fucking job site there's no place to just upload a fucking resume.  The first function I'd think a job site should have just doesn't fucking exist in this special facebook edition of "five years experience required for entry level position".  And the best part is how it pesters me for my current employment and doesn't take "UNEMPLOYED" as an answer.  I'd put in my previous position if it actually resulted in jobs I want and not just scams to try and sell shit no one wants or can afford.

Even if the damned site was programed by God himself it wouldn't mean shit for me.  Its all about bullshit networking and guess what I have no friends so no fucking network worth a damn anyway.  Oh boy I should be dead on the streets five times over thanks to unemployment!  Which is great because being dead sounds better than 9 month unemployment with disappointed parents losing their patience over forcing their kid through college.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124736 on: July 27, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

I can't say I've ever had luck with job-search sites, so I hope you do better :(

Maybe try something else? I remember that monster.com used to be...decent.

Also, try checking with any unemployment services your area offers. They may have their own website with postings.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124737 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »

I can't say I've ever had luck with job-search sites, so I hope you do better :(

Maybe try something else? I remember that monster.com used to be...decent.

Also, try checking with any unemployment services your area offers. They may have their own website with postings.

There's multiple temp services here.  Evidently, even they can't make money off of me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124738 on: July 27, 2017, 07:13:19 pm »

Not talking about temp services, but (un)employment agencies. There's an office in my hometown, where they put out the daily paper's classifieds section, hold resume and interviewing workshops, and provide computer use free of charge (as long as you're looking for work on said computers). Also fax services and telephones. Great place.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124739 on: July 27, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »

You inspired me to look back at my own posts from around this time 3 years ago. I wonder if Kadyrov's sanction against Barack Obama is still in effect?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 8314 8315 [8316] 8317 8318 ... 10983